• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    There's a world record sized one laying about a hundred feet from my driveway. Somebody hit him and stole my fun:xmad: Gotta be a +30 pounder. Does Boone and Crockett or Pope and Young score them? Does roadkill count in the record book? I was so looking forward to doing some ballistic research on him with my .458 SOCOM.

odie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Sounds like somthing to keep a guy in the woods until the next hunting season roles around.

cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    I got 5 currently living under my yard barn. Purchased a Ruger 10/22 and sub sonic rounds today for some weekend fun. Originally going to practice with my bow but there's too many of them and I want them gone. Moved into our house 3 weeks ago, kind of interested in what my neighbors are going to think.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    Finally got a chance to hunt a little Sunday. Nailed this Momma Pig with my ground hog slayer savage axis .223.
    picture.php
    picture.php

And here is a picture of my hunting blind

picture.php

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    There's a world record sized one laying about a hundred feet from my driveway. Somebody hit him and stole my fun:xmad: Gotta be a +30 pounder. Does Boone and Crockett or Pope and Young score them? Does roadkill count in the record book? I was so looking forward to doing some ballistic research on him with my .458 SOCOM.

This quick pic from the web shows a 15#

pahogstickx350.jpg

I have seen pics of a 35# in an old VHA magazine. Unreal. Most folks over estimate their weight. Carried a scale for yrs, most fall adults run 12-16 lbs and the 16 pounders look considerably bigger than the 12 and 13's.

Did pop a 20+ pounder, king of that woods he was. Was squirrelin' saw him and put a Fed solid .22rf behind his shoulder with an old 121 Rem (D maybe 40 yards). He went down the hole. I ran up a little and he came out growling, so I hit him again (30 yards) and down the hole he went. I finally got up to the den and he came out still PO'd and one in the noggin' ended it. First and 2nd shots about an inch apart, in behind the shoulders like a deer. Just made him mad.

Grizzled, scarred..........biggest chuck to date, not in an agri area. Still feel a bit bad about killing him. Knew a whopper lived there, never saw him until the day I shot him. Stepson tried to carry him out of the woods, arm up, holding leg, the 12 yr old had the head dragging. Got halfway to the Jeep and he was so tuckered we just left it by a fox den.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    This quick pic from the web shows a 15#

pahogstickx350.jpg

I have seen pics of a 35# in an old VHA magazine. Unreal. Most folks over estimate their weight. Carried a scale for yrs, most fall adults run 12-16 lbs and the 16 pounders look considerably bigger than the 12 and 13's.

Did pop a 20+ pounder, king of that woods he was. Was squirrelin' saw him and put a Fed solid .22rf behind his shoulder with an old 121 Rem (D maybe 40 yards). He went down the hole. I ran up a little and he came out growling, so I hit him again (30 yards) and down the hole he went. I finally got up to the den and he came out still PO'd and one in the noggin' ended it. First and 2nd shots about an inch apart, in behind the shoulders like a deer. Just made him mad.

Grizzled, scarred..........biggest chuck to date, not in an agri area. Still feel a bit bad about killing him. Knew a whopper lived there, never saw him until the day I shot him. Stepson tried to carry him out of the woods, arm up, holding leg, the 12 yr old had the head dragging. Got halfway to the Jeep and he was so tuckered we just left it by a fox den.

Don't feel bad, they are the scourge of the Earth and must all die:D

When I lived in a town that shall remain nameless, I had the biggest one that I have ever seen living on the edged of my yard. I had 3 acres, at the end of a deadend street, with woods on 3 sides. He would be out in my yard every day when I came home from work, just freakin taunting me. I could walk within 20 feet of him before he'd run back into the woods. That was about the funniest thing I have ever seen. When he ran, rolls of fats would ripple up and down the length of his body. I finally could take no more. I walked straight into the house one day without chasing him back into the woods. Pulled out my .223 Thompson Contender, walked upstairs, so that I would be shooting at a steep downward angle, stuck it out the bedroom window and smoked him. I put the gun away and walked outside, stood on the porch like all my neighbors were doing, going did you hear that? Man that was a load bang, what do you think it was? After the hubub died down, I sneaked out to the edge of the woods with with a scale. He weighed just under 28 pounds. I should've had him mounted, but since the Wifey won't let me hang a deer head in the house, I thought a groundhog would be outta the question. I have killed hundreds of them and he was by far the biggest. Even the squished one on the road wasn't as big, but you how huntin/fishin stories go:D

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I'm hoping to get my first of many this week up here in Michigan at our property. The little bastard stared me down as he just walked right under the trailer last night. I set out a little lettuce, broccoli, and apple buffet to hopefully coax him out from under there.

Wormhauler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Tipton
    Has anyone noticed that after a pig is killed, if left on the ground, nothing will eat it? I kilt several last summer and noticed the vultures were not eating them, just the bugs and rot.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    How does one actually hunt groundhogs? Is there certain places they are more likely to be found, or is more just random see-n-shoot?

All the ones Ive ever seen were just randoms running around the farm.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    How does one actually hunt groundhogs? Is there certain places they are more likely to be found, or is more just random see-n-shoot?

All the ones Ive ever seen were just randoms running around the farm.

Your best bet is to find their hole, then set up and wait. The older ones are wary and have excellent eyesight, so it's a good idea to stay motionless and use concealment. Setting up at 200yds+ gives you a little more wiggle room. The young ones are out now and are less wary and easier to shoot (ya just don't lead 'em as much :D). If you shoot a young one, don't miss out on the opportunity to try a new type of wild meat.

Wormhauler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Tipton
    If you are driving a tractor in a field you may randomly see one to shoot. Sometimes driving you see one, but if you stop they take off.

Best hunted by stalking or setting up to wait yards away from a hole. When they stop to eat you can whistle to get them to raise thier whole body for a better shot.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    If you are driving a tractor in a field you may randomly see one to shoot. Sometimes driving you see one, but if you stop they take off.

Best hunted by stalking or setting up to wait yards away from a hole. When they stop to eat you can whistle to get them to raise thier whole body for a better shot.

Ya, thats about the only time Ive ever seen them is driving the tractor or fourwheeler. But of course its when I never have a gun on me. I know, stupid to not have a gun.

How long do you have to sit on a hole on average?

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    When I lived in MI I had a 20 x 30 deck and they would come out of the woods and want to make dens under it. Got 2 in 3 weeks with a Henry 22 using subsonics and my neighbor was in his yard 60 feet away both times and didn't even register the shots. I got them from the upstairs bedroom window.

Bye chuckie.:D

Wormhauler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Tipton
    somedays i get to a hole and the pig is already out moving and sometimes i sit for hours before they come out. I don't kow if this is because I didn't see them or they were not out. I have waited for a pig to come out to eat and i dont see them until they are running back into the hole.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I hunt soybean and alfalfa fields that border creeks/ditches.
    Some fields would yield 30 chucks every other year :)

One trick, if you nuke one along the edge of the field, is to move it out a bit. Sometimes others will come out to investigate and you can almost stack the next one on the first (most I've done is 2 downed by the first).

Another deal, when one busts you and goes down the hole, is to sneak around and when they come out get them from the other side- especially good tactic when bowhunting.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've killed a couple in the heat of a 100 degree day, but most times it's a morning or evening deal (when temps much cooler).

I wouldn't go out today or tomorrow until 6 pm. But some spots can be morning areas. FWIW I had always hunted a spot in the eve, for years. Was decent. Had crap to do one eve so went in the morning.......killed ten and saw fourteen by 11am.

Unfortunately, fence row removal, housing expansion, non rotation of crops and coyotes............have ruined chuck hunting in my old stompin' grounds.

Top Bottom