Death Penalty for F Troop: DOJ Killing ATFE?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    From the article: "DOJ would eliminate ATF only to take the heat off of the Obama Administration. By eliminating the bureau, it makes it seem like DOJ is taking Operation Fast and Furious so seriously, they decided to “clear out the corruption, clean house,” however, it would only be a distraction away from the people at the top of the investigation."

25a52_demotivational-posters-its-a-trap.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    More BS from dc leadership that doesn't see that anything is wrong. This will blow over and it will be back to business as usual.

the dc way

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    On the one hand, you have an entrenched ATF bureaucracy that has been fairly capricious in its various rulings. On the other hand, if all its responsibilities get turned over to other agencies, you've got a 90/10 chance that EVERYTHING will get screwed up worse. Not sure which I'd favor.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Well, it couldn't be much worse! One fed agency is just as bad as the next but if it cut 450 leeches off the payroll, I'm all for it. I am not niave enough to think those let go would not be hired by any subsequent agency newly assigned those duties. There should be a qualifier that any new jobs being filled be unemployed veterans or something like that. Wasn't that one of Obama's big job pushes? Emphasis on hiring vets? Sounds good to me!

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Never Happen...

/\ This.....

However, even though I think there's about a 98.3% percent chance of this not happening, if F- Troop is "re-organized", shutdown, or whatever, I can see the ATFE powers shifting to the ultra-evil DHS. Should that happen, I think we'd end up fondly looking back at our dealings with ATFE as "the good 'ol days"

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Wasnt the head of the ATF transferred to the DOJ as "punishment" for Fast and Furious?

F Troop is DOJ. The head of ATFE was re-assigned internally. Is this what you mean?

Kenneth Melson, acting director of ATFE, was transferred to a sinecure of Office of Legal Policy in August of 2011.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    /\ This.....

However, even though I think there's about a 98.3% percent chance of this not happening, if F- Troop is "re-organized", shutdown, or whatever, I can see the ATFE powers shifting to the ultra-evil DHS. Should that happen, I think we'd end up fondly looking back at our dealings with ATFE as "the good 'ol days"

Guys don't wish for the ATFE to be dissolved because of the above bold highlighted text.

If the Department of Homeland (Screw Us) Security got ahold of these powers, then it would give them the ultimate power surge and power trip.

Think of it, they have the 4473 info of every firearm called in, and all of a sudden every gunowner in America is now on a Terror/Watch list.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    If by "dissolved" they mean "all policies, responsibilities, and information gathered by this agency will vanish forever along with a couple hundred sacrificial lambs" I'm all for it. If "dissolved" means "we'll just give all of that to someone else" I'd prefer we not give all power to another agency.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I would take ANY agency with a myriad of duties over ATF whose ONLY job is to harass gun owners. As long as the current enforcement agents get fired, I'm for it.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    ATFE must be destroyed . . . and salt poured on the ground.

As long as that is not where they stop in the alphabet.....
    Unfortunately, this is just political expiediency, if it happens, all personell, policies, and responsibilities will be laterally transferred to another agency and BATFE will continue to exist, operating in the exact same way. The Forms and letter head will just have DoJ or something else on them.
    Don't hold your breath waiting on real justice, it ain't happenin'

Top Bottom