• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Looks great Phylo, congrats! I don't know what it is about the mod 0, but damn, they are sexy!

I was very near getting an AR built up to run the 6.5 round. Especially after running one late last summer.
    I let my obsession with 1911's get in the way.
    After seeing this I has a sad :(

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Pdog, if I may ask (I just bought a 6.5 Grendel for Jael Freeman's 13th):

1. Have you used the cartridge on game before?

2. If so, how did it perform?

3. What round do you recommend (if applicable)?

4. What is your recommended zero for the round (50 yards, 3" high at 100, what?).

Thank you very much.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    This is my first foray into the Grendel so I don't have any experience to share unfortunately. Because of my background and the resulting way that my brain works, all of my rifles are zeroed at 100yds. Once I have the rifle zeroed I establish my max point blank range and required adjustments for every 50 yards beyond to what I consider max effective range. I've been testing the Hornady Black 123gr ELD and Hornady 123gr SST (factory loads) thus far, they are showing potential. Once I have a baseline established for the accuracy potential I'll start looking in to specific bullets for hunting.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Pdog, if I may ask (I just bought a 6.5 Grendel for Jael Freeman's 13th):

1. Have you used the cartridge on game before?

2. If so, how did it perform?

3. What round do you recommend (if applicable)?

4. What is your recommended zero for the round (50 yards, 3" high at 100, what?).

Thank you very much.

I’ll answer with my knowledge but the majority is based on research off the Grendel forum and Grendel books.

1. Not personally, but many people have with good results. Like all calibers, shot placement is still key.

2. N/A

3. A lot of people are using Hornady 123gr SST and ELD-M, Barnes 100 TSX, and Federal Fusion 120gr for hogs and deer with great expansion. There are some lighter bullets that I think would be good for varmints as well.

4. From my research I have mine zeroed at 200yds or 2” high at 100yds. That means it should come up to dead on around 50yds as well and then be +/- 2” out to 275 yards. In the woods I hunt I figured the deer would be with 25 yards of that 50 mark and I would be plenty accurate.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    Amazingly sharp looking rifle there man.

What magpul mag are you using to feed 6.5 Grendel? I've built a couple Grendels and have always ran ASC's because it was all I could find.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Amazingly sharp looking rifle there man.

What magpul mag are you using to feed 6.5 Grendel? I've built a couple Grendels and have always ran ASC's because it was all I could find.

I just put the Magpul in for the pic. The three E-Lander mags I have barely stick out of the magwell.

Top Bottom