• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    Get a Bersa Ultra Compact in 9 or 45. Local gun shops have them for around $350 and you can get them a bit cheaper online.

Or go with a good ole SW Sigma for around $350 with a $50 rebate.

Bersas are great reliable shooters and the UCs are good for concealed carry.

The Sigmas conceal well too. Their triggers suck but you can send them to SW for free and they'll do a trigger job which helps (for free).

What caliber do you want?

Good luck.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    taurus snub, used glock, taurus 709 slim, bersa thunder .380. i own and carry all of them, though not at the same time. ;)

i also have a sigma. and i dont care what anyone here says, it is a good gun for $300. the trigger can be fixed or broken in. mine has been 100% reliable and i prefer the grip on the sigma to the more expensive M&P. but if you buy a sigma, expect to get flamed.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I'd save a little more and get to the $400 mark for a semi-auto. New SP2022 in 9mm from CDNN, used G19. Get your hands on a bunch and shoot as much as you can to see what fits you best!

You can get J-frames used in the 3-350 range too if you can go revolver.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If you are looking for a defensive handgun (and I assume you are if you're going to be carrying it IWB), then I'd make price your very LAST qualifier. Things that should come first are reliability and shootability (very broad category).

Try this: Borrow a buddy's handgun and take this class-- https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...co_-_intro_to_defensive_pistol_in_2010_a.html . In the class, take note of what guns other folks are using. Take note of the ones that run, and the ones that have problems. Talk to the instructors to see what they'd recommend. Ask other students why they bought what they brought.

Soon you'll be able to whittle down the features that are important to you.

If you decide to take my advice, you're more than welcome to borrow my Glock 19. I'll even get you set up with the spare mags, a holster, and magazine pouch. Your $300 should EASILY cover the tuition and ammo cost.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Esrice really offered some great advice. 2010 is the year that I plan to stop buying new guns and make the investment in training. That is not to say that I own many firearms. I have bought, sold, traded, shot and tried many handguns. So, I know how hard it is to pay for a training course when a you do not already own a gun. I also know how hard it is to save a little more to get to that handgun that is just a little bit better.

Regardless of what others might tell you there are some reliable firearms in the $300-$350 price range. IMO Taurus makes a nice gun for the money. I have shot many of these over the years and have never had a problem with them. Currently I carry a Taurus model 85. I bought it for my sister (who decided she did not want it) and have found that the snub nose .38 is really what I was looking for.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    The Taurus snubbies are good, but so are the Charter Arms snubbies. The Sig Sauer 2022 is really an under rated gun, and at the prices they sell for on Bud's they're a steal. Also check Bud's for old Smith trade ins. I really don't care for the Sigmas, but as you can see, they do have their supporters. esrice probably has the best advice of all, and if I was a looking for my first carry weapon, and knew then what I know now, I'd take it. He's a pretty sharp guy. Merry Christmas, and good luck in your quest!

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I'd save a little more and get to the $400 mark for a semi-auto. New SP2022 in 9mm from CDNN, used G19. Get your hands on a bunch and shoot as much as you can to see what fits you best!

You can get J-frames used in the 3-350 range too if you can go revolver.

I forgot about the SIGsp2022s at CDNN for $399. That may be the best deal going for a handgun right now. They are a bit chunky for iwb carry though. I'm sure people do it.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    in that price range i like the Taurus models, it would be good for you to get some hands on experience with a few before you make a decision though. eveyone is different and what works for some does not work for others. good luck in your decision

also check out the classifieds here, there are always some really nice deals there

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    can only speak from personal experience but the Taurus 709 is what I carry (see pic to left). Its a great gun and right around the pricing you discussed. Also I agree with the Bersa comments. Bersa has been a great gun for me.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If you are looking for a defensive handgun (and I assume you are if you're going to be carrying it IWB), then I'd make price your very LAST qualifier. Things that should come first are reliability and shootability (very broad category).

Try this: Borrow a buddy's handgun and take this class-- https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...co_-_intro_to_defensive_pistol_in_2010_a.html . In the class, take note of what guns other folks are using. Take note of the ones that run, and the ones that have problems. Talk to the instructors to see what they'd recommend. Ask other students why they bought what they brought.

Soon you'll be able to whittle down the features that are important to you.

If you decide to take my advice, you're more than welcome to borrow my Glock 19. I'll even get you set up with the spare mags, a holster, and magazine pouch. Your $300 should EASILY cover the tuition and ammo cost.

While I agree with the training, some of us HAVE to be within a budget and price has to be the FIRST qualifier.

My Bersa 9mm was worth every cent of the $350 I spent for it, without a SINGLE failure. Everyone that shoots it loves it, and says it is very accurate.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I agree that price does become a factor and I also agree that you can find a great carry pistol for $350 or less.
    I personally would recommend getting the gun then taking training (assuming that you've shot before). Training is very important but you need a gun first IMHO.

Top Bottom