• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    Decided to try my hand at hand sharpening some knives with a sharpening stone...I have a couple junkers for practice in case I am really bad at it...I have watched a few videos about it, and I think I have a basic understanding of technique etc...I know there is honing oil, but I am looking for alternatives I can get locally at drug store, Walmart etc...I have read that mineral oil is a good alternative to honing oil and I also saw some stated gun oil like Hoppes Elite works fine...can someone give me some suggestions as to what works well for sharpening...Thanks for any input...

looper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2019
    NWI
    If you're new to sharpening, watch a couple videos first then see what works for you. here's one

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Decided to try my hand at hand sharpening some knives with a sharpening stone...I have a couple junkers for practice in case I am really bad at it...I have watched a few videos about it, and I think I have a basic understanding of technique etc...I know there is honing oil, but I am looking for alternatives I can get locally at drug store, Walmart etc...I have read that mineral oil is a good alternative to honing oil and I also saw some stated gun oil like Hoppes Elite works fine...can someone give me some suggestions as to what works well for sharpening...Thanks for any input...
    Any light oil will work. Unless you're using Japanese water stones.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    And, to add to the oil discussion, do NOT use any oils with detergent additives, or volatiles. In other words, WD-40, Kroil, Hoppes, etc. are out.

They will, same as they do on a firearm, lose the volatiles that keep them liquid, and turn to gum.

Gum + metal shavings = asphalt.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Myself, I use Norton sharpening stone oil been using it for decades.

A little 2 inch bird knife I made this winter with a piece of cast off antler, I’ll sharpen it soon.

1712474444995.jpeg
    1712474519402.jpeg

edit: the oil, knife, and I believe coin all made in America

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a partial quart of ATF that is not what my current cars require. I don't know if it i the best, but it seems to work fine on the oil stone In 12 years I have maybe used 10% of it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom