• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    7mm-08 and make sure the stock fits******30-30 0r 35 rem also. Low recoil and enough power for a shoulder shot. My cousin uses a 6 mm rem and iit is on the light side but he is a good shot and it is the only rifle he has.

44 mag would work and be Indiana deer legal where the others are not.

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Id suggest something along the lines of a .30-06 or .308 (but since youre taking your daughter, I'd suggest something big with low perceived recoil).

Also, I read the responses, but I think I missed if you stated whether or not you'd be stationary or if it would be a mobile hunt.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    All of the guns mentioned will do the job just fine. I'd strongly recommend the .223 (or 6.8 if you want a little extra oomph to it.) I've killed 5 hogs, including a 200 pounder with .223, 6.8, and a .308, all in AR platforms. (The 200 pounder was with .223) The .223 is my favorite. It is LOW recoil, and has more than enough power to flatten any hog. My most recent hog died in June. A bunch of big mouthed Texans have told me it wasn't enough gun, and that if you hit them , in the shoulder blade, it is like an armor plate. To prove a point, I hit the big boy at 50 yards, right square in the blade, right in the spot where the Texans said NOT to shoot him. I was told they'd seen hogs get away with 30-06 shots right there. My brute ran really fast when I hit him...for about 20 yards before augering into the dirt face first and tumbling end over end, dead as a doornail.

When we gave him his autopsy, we found that the bullet smashed right through the shoulder blade, liquified a bunch of organs, and then lodged well into the other blade on the other side, breaking it, as well. The trick was a beautiful little bullet called a Barnes TSX. It was only 55 grains, and was propelled by a factory load. The friendly Texans have since shut the heck up about the .223.

Your daughter would find great delight in shooting my little M4gery because she'd barely feel the recoil, the stock can be adjusted for any size, it weighs next to nothing, and the bullet goes right where that little red dot is positioned, even with both eyes open. It will tag them close-in, or at long range, and makes shot placement ridiculously easy, even when the shooter is pumped full of adrenaline. (Standing in an open field , with no cover, in pitch dark, looking through a night vision device mounted behind the Eotech, with a sounder of about 20 grunting, snorting butt-ugly wild beasts rooting around, will get you quite an adrenaline rush, especially when you know they'll go every direction when you fire! It is especially a rush knowing you are trusting a Texan who told you if you stand still, they will run right by you but won't hit you. I felt the wind and heard the sound of two smaller runs run right by me, on both sides!)

You can pick up 55 grain Federal ammo with Barnes TSX bullets at Cabellas. It is fairly expensive for a 20 round box, but man is it worth it!

Just my 2c, but I thought I'd share, because my 10 year old daughter will be coming with me on a hunt in the next couple of years, and she'll be shooting this gun or one just like it. She's fired it at the range, and LOVES it. She puts the rounds on the paper accurately enough to wipe out a hog easily within 75 yards. A little more practice, and she'll get there for longer distances, as well. With the stock collapsed a few notches, it fits her perfectly, and is light enough for her to feel confident in handling it.

Good luck to you and let us know how you do!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I think you forgot a good option. How about a boar spear been used effectively for centurys :)::D http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=9TlyTrLLMZCCtgeLyrCWCQ&ved=0CDcQ8wIwAA

That's awesome! I've thought about attaching my SOG Spirit to a broom handle and giving it a go! (Not!)

One more thing....neck shots are a pretty sure bet. 3 out of 4 of my hogs were hit in the neck, and two of them didn't take a step afterward. One ran about 30 yards and collapsed. Funny thing, the one that ran the furthest was hit with the biggest round, the .308!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I clicked on the link, and didn't see anything about hogs..... Please give us, a COMPLETE, AAR, when done.... tell us EVERYTHING !!!!!
    I would be VERY interested in something like this ....

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    When I lived in Florida for quite a while the popular caliber there was always 30-30. I have also taken hogs with a heavier .223 round. You can drop hogs with just about any round just with smaller rounds shoot for the head.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    If your daughter is recoil sensitive with your 12 ga., you might want to take the .458 SOCOM off the list. My RRA midlength upper on a Armalite lower with MagPul UBR stock still thumps the shooter pretty good. I put it together to deer hunt with, but also plan on wackin some hogs with it too. I would say you will like it... its a lot like a 12 ga. with slugs and thats with my 325 gr. Hornady FTX handloads and 300 gr JHP's. For her you might want to look at a 20ga. slug gun with Federal Sabots with the Barnes Expander. Then she could deer hunt with it here too.

millfire517

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Grant County, IN
    I appreciate the responses so far. I am probably going to call them about using my SR556 during the hunt, if so my daughter will probably use it, It's hard enough to keep her from going through a couple hundred rounds shooting it. I guess I will have to get my daughter her own AR soon. So far I am definitely planning for a spring break hunt next year with her. Can't afford it right now with Christmas coming up. But I may use this as an excuse to get me either a 6.8 or a 458 SOCOM. Does anyone know anything about ar15performance.com? I have had a few people refer them to me but trying to get a little more info. I guess they specialize in 6.8 uppers for AR's.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I appreciate the responses so far. I am probably going to call them about using my SR556 during the hunt, if so my daughter will probably use it, It's hard enough to keep her from going through a couple hundred rounds shooting it. I guess I will have to get my daughter her own AR soon. So far I am definitely planning for a spring break hunt next year with her. Can't afford it right now with Christmas coming up. But I may use this as an excuse to get me either a 6.8 or a 458 SOCOM. Does anyone know anything about ar15performance.com? I have had a few people refer them to me but trying to get a little more info. I guess they specialize in 6.8 uppers for AR's.

The first hog I ever killed was with an AR performance 6.8. They are one of the most reputable 6.8 builders out there. They use the best specs for the hotter SAMMI II rounds. The guide who owned it had loads pushing 3000fps with an 85 grain Barnes TTx. One shot went in the front shoulder and traveled along the back before exiting the rump! I killed the hog with the initial neck shot, but he turned and I freaked out and let him have 4 more! So much for the meat.

Btw, if you go 6.8, you can get factory SAMMI II loads from Silver State Armory. My personal opinion is that this is the ultimate hog round. I went with .223, though, because I knew it was adequate, especially with the TTX bullets, and it doubles as my SHTF gun, so I wanted the availablility of .223 ammo. After the 200 pounder in Texas, I'm really not worried that I compromised. My confidence in .223 is really high right now.

woodwalker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Brownstown
    I have a Rock River Arms 458 SOCOM and it doesn't kick as hard as a 12 guage maybe a little harder than a 20. My 12 year old can shoot it just fine with a shooting stick

Top Bottom