• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Looks good. Did the oil flame during the quenching?

It did but only for a couple of seconds.

The blade is in the oven baking the Norrell's on and I'm in the process of buffing out the handles. Once the blade cools down I'll epoxy everything together, grind down the brass pins and finish buffing up the handles. I took a lot of pics today during the process, I'll post them up when I get a few minutes.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    You have the tools to make your own sheath. If not, it's not too expensive.

Oven
    Camping mat from Walmart.
    Kydex.
    Rivets
    Sander

Last edited:

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    That looks good so far. Congratulations on taking the plunge. It is a lot of work, but also a lot of fun.

I do have a question for you. In your description of the heat treat process, I did not see any mention of tempering it. Did you temper it? Without tempering, your knife may be very hard but very brittle, which can cause things like chipping along the edge or worse yet a complete break. I do not know what temperature the Norrell's requires, but it's probably not enough to temper the blade.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    It did but only for a couple of seconds.

The blade is in the oven baking the Norrell's on and I'm in the process of buffing out the handles. Once the blade cools down I'll epoxy everything together, grind down the brass pins and finish buffing up the handles. I took a lot of pics today during the process, I'll post them up when I get a few minutes.

Not sure what metal you're working with, but be careful with the oven because it could change hardness past a certain temperature.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That looks good so far. Congratulations on taking the plunge. It is a lot of work, but also a lot of fun.

I do have a question for you. In your description of the heat treat process, I did not see any mention of tempering it. Did you temper it? Without tempering, your knife may be very hard but very brittle, which can cause things like chipping along the edge or worse yet a complete break. I do not know what temperature the Norrell's requires, but it's probably not enough to temper the blade.

Oops, didn't temper it. It baked at 315* for an hour setting the Norrell's but I don't think that's enough. I wonder if the epoxy and the fiberglass resin in the handles would hold up to the temps needed to temper it?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Here is the day in pictures...

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

IMG_1494.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1496.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I intentionally left evidence here and there that it was once a file and that it was made by hand. I started to polish all of the scratches out of the blade but decided I liked them there, they give a little character to my first attempt.

Hopefully I'll be able to temper it even though I've epoxied the handles on. If not, I'll enjoy it and chalk it up to a learning event. It's been a lot of fun and I learned a few things along the way. I'm sure it won't be my last now that I've got one under my belt. I don't think Busse, ESEE or Strider have anything to worry about but it's a fun hobby anyway.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I intentionally left evidence here and there that it was once a file and that it was made by hand. I started to polish all of the scratches out of the blade but decided I liked them there, they give a little character to my first attempt.

Hopefully I'll be able to temper it even though I've epoxied the handles on. If not, I'll enjoy it and chalk it up to a learning event. It's been a lot of fun and I learned a few things along the way. I'm sure it won't be my last now that I've got one under my belt. I don't think Busse, ESEE or Strider have anything to worry about but it's a fun hobby anyway.

Oh it won't be your last. Lol. Actually, I've got some D2 and M4 if you want a piece to go ahead and get started on the next one. :D
    You quoted me a week ago saying you wish you had the skill to make knives, well you proved that you do have it. So I'll donate the Steel to add to the addiction if you want it. Lol. You gave me a buckett of 5.56 brass once and it only makes us even. :D
    Just send me a pm and we can chat.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Absolutely LOVE the way the file grooves look up against the micarta.

And I think it's fantastic that this is a 100% home-made knife! Even down to said micarta.

Again, sir, fantastic.

(any way that the oven temps will loosen the epoxy enough to pull the scales off...that's allow you to temper?)

-J-

Top Bottom