• ...and so much more!
  • CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Hello all,

Thanks to all of the advice I received on this forum, I have decided to purchase a 1911. :rockwoot: It will be my first. I have been looking for the past 2-3 weeks and have decided on a Kimber. Out of all of the brands that I held, it was BY FAR my favorite. Very nice fit and finish without being too expensive. Dan Wesson was a close second and Colt was third, although they were all really nice.

Initially, I wanted to go cheaper but the RIA, American Classic, and others, while being VERY nice guns, were just too heavy. This will also be my carry pistol. Right now I carry a H&K USP 40 Compact, but always wanted to go with a 45 caliber to carry and my Sig 220 is too big.

My choice is down to the Kimber Crimson Pro Carry (4") or the Kimber Crimson Ultra Carry (3"). I really like the size of the Ultra, but I think I would want something a little more accurate at distance. For any 1911 aficionados out there, is there that big of a difference? When I was at the gun shop, I got conflicting advice from the sales staff and customers. Some say there isn't much of a difference at all, and some say there is a HUGE difference.

Now a second question. I am wondering if I should sell any of my current collection to help pay for the Kimber. I really don't want to have a lot of hand guns just to have. I would like to have a few that I take to the range and a couple that I can also carry. Right now I have a Glock 23 40, H&K USP Compact 40, Sig P220 45, Sig P232 380 (wife's gun) and a Beretta 92F 9mm (My first real gun, can't get rid of it. Still a blast to shoot.)

I am not a fan of the Glock at all. I bought it from a friend just because I didn't have one and always wanted one. Unfortunately I bought it without ever shooting it. i really don't like the feel of it and now I rarely if ever shoot it. I know it's a good gun, just not for my tastes. I would consider either trading it in towards the Kimber, or just selling it outright. I would also consider getting rid of either my Sig or the H&K as well. I LOVE the Sig and like the H&K, just not as big a fan of the .40 round as the 45. Any input would be appreciated.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If you are going be carrying it, especially CC, Id go 3" all day long. Either gun would be more accurate than the shooter imo. I guess it depends on what you consider "distance" but I cant imagine you will notice that much of a difference at normal pistol distances, 7-15 yds or so. Maybe once you get out to 25yds it will be a bigger difference, not sure.

But Id trade a bit of long range accuracy for easier concealability.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'd go 4" for ballistic reasons.

BTW, have you looked at the S&W M&P .45 compacts? In the 4" model they're smaller, lighter, less expensive, and add 1 to your capacity.

The Kahr CW 45s are also smaller, lighter, and less expensive. In std. trim you'd lose a round to the Kimbers, but you could carry 7 rnd TP45 mags for reloads.

Of course, if you're set on a 1911, I understand that too. Just suggesting options.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    4" for reliability, if nothing else... It's hard to find a reputable 1911 'guru' who trusts the reliability of anything shorter than the commander(pro, in Kimber-speak). Ultra if you really can't do the extra inch, I guess, like if you're carrying it in your garter... (coughcough). Otherwise, go with the Pro.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I'm no "1911 expert" but I've owned a 5" Kimber, a 4" Kimber and a 3" Kimber and have zero problems with any of them. I've owned the 3" the longest and its my main EDCC gun (5 years now and NEVER a problem).

It's really up to you on what trips your trigger the most.

Just to give you another choice Kimber also makes a compact which is a 4" barrel with a Ultra grip length, kinda the best of both worlds for you :D

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    for your first one , personally I would go 4" The 3" are great carry guns but I don't think would be as positive 1911 experience as the 4" for shooting enjoyment. The commander size 1911 is just about the best balance to me of all the sizes. except 6" I have not shot one of those yet.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I have the Kimber Ultra CDP that I put the Crimson Trace on. Fantastic gun and had no problems what so ever once I changed to the Tripp Cobra Mags and got her broke in. I have put well over 1000 rounds through this gun and all I can say is that it makes a great carry gun. As far as a range gun it will work on you more than a steel frame government model after a few hundred rounds but you need to decide if you want the lightest most concealable 1911 or another full size range gun.

Accuracy wise, it is just as accurate however the shooter needs to be steadier since you have a shorter sight radius. But for a self defense gun you won’t be shooting 50 yards so I wouldn't be so concerned about accuracy.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Whatever fits you better. As for barrel length, I've heard the 3" and 4" versions can be as accurate as a full size so I wouldn't get hung up on barrel length.

Personally, commanders are very nice but a 3" is a little easier to conceal.

But.......a Dan Wesson Valor, Commander size, bobtail, is VERY VERY nice, too bad it's $1700 or so.

broknaxl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    I've got a Kimber Pro CDP and love it. No problems, fairly light to carry. I use Wilson 8rd mags. I like it because I have bigger hands and it has the full size grip. They also make it easier to control, but maybe a little harder to conceal. I carry IWB, so the barrels under my jeans. I can carry my Colt Gov. Model this way just as easy. (it has the 5in barrel). I also have a Colt WWI replica that is great to shoot. You might look at the Colt Defenders and the New Agent. These are very nice and right in the same price range.

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning towards the 4", but the 3" would be nice to have when it's time to carry, especially for extended periods. I never considered the fact that the smaller barrel options may take a greater toll on me at the range. That's a good point.

I'm no "1911 expert" but I've owned a 5" Kimber, a 4" Kimber and a 3" Kimber and have zero problems with any of them. I've owned the 3" the longest and its my main EDCC gun (5 years now and NEVER a problem).

It's really up to you on what trips your trigger the most.

Just to give you another choice Kimber also makes a compact which is a 4" barrel with a Ultra grip length, kinda the best of both worlds for you :D

I think I looked at one but it was out of my price range. I thought it was the Super Carry Pro ($1,500). VERY nice gun.

I'd go 4" for ballistic reasons.

BTW, have you looked at the S&W M&P .45 compacts? In the 4" model they're smaller, lighter, less expensive, and add 1 to your capacity.

The Kahr CW 45s are also smaller, lighter, and less expensive. In std. trim you'd lose a round to the Kimbers, but you could carry 7 rnd TP45 mags for reloads.

Of course, if you're set on a 1911, I understand that too. Just suggesting options.

I have been bitten by the 1911 bug. ;)

i would start with a government size the way JMB intended. :)

but if you are dead set on 3 or 4 inch, i would go commander size.

I considered the government size Colt XSE Rail Gun and the Combat Elite, but at 38 oz., they were both way too heavy. That being said, I would also like to have a government size some day. :)

I've got a Kimber Pro CDP and love it. No problems, fairly light to carry. I use Wilson 8rd mags. I like it because I have bigger hands and it has the full size grip. They also make it easier to control, but maybe a little harder to conceal. I carry IWB, so the barrels under my jeans. I can carry my Colt Gov. Model this way just as easy. (it has the 5in barrel). I also have a Colt WWI replica that is great to shoot. You might look at the Colt Defenders and the New Agent. These are very nice and right in the same price range.

I really liked the Pro CDP, but a little out of my price range. The gun shop I was at just received two of them. Very nice.

I did look into the Colt Defender as well. It was a nice gun, I just preferred the fit and finish of the Kimber. I really liked the Pro CDP though. If I can sell my Glock, I could bump my budget up and seriously consider it.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I think I looked at one but it was out of my price range. I thought it was the Super Carry Pro ($1,500). VERY nice gun.

For Kimber the "Custom" is the full size 5" barrel, the "Pro" is the full size grip with a 4" barrel, the "Compact" is a 4" barrel with "Ultra" size grip, and the "Ultra" is the 3" barrel with the smaller grip. So if the model you looked at has "Pro" in the name it is the 4" barrel with full size grip.

You can pick up Kimber Compacts for the same price as the Pro you are looking at (depending on the model)

For CC the grip is the hardest part to conceal. No matter which one you get your going to LOVE it!!!

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    For Kimber the "Custom" is the full size 5" barrel, the "Pro" is the full size grip with a 4" barrel, the "Compact" is a 4" barrel with "Ultra" size grip, and the "Ultra" is the 3" barrel with the smaller grip. So if the model you looked at has "Pro" in the name it is the 4" barrel with full size grip.

You can pick up Kimber Compacts for the same price as the Pro you are looking at (depending on the model)

For CC the grip is the hardest part to conceal. No matter which one you get your going to LOVE it!!!

Thanks for the clarification. I just found out that a local gun shop received a new batch of Kimbers so I am going to check them out this afternoon. At this point, while I may have a preference for the Pro, I may consider the 3" or the compact since the 4" models I am looking at are hard to find. Plus, it is reassuring that most people say that there isn't much of a drop off in accuracy.

It seems as though the demand for Kimber 1911's is far greater than I expected. There are lots of Colts and others around, but the Kimbers I am looking at are hard to come by. The one shop got 8 in the other day and all but two full size models were sold before they even hit the floor.

It's hard to believe there is that much demand for such a pricey gun.

Thanks again for the info.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    I have all three sizes and rotate between the 3" shown at left and the 4" stainless compact I bought 10 years back. Love them all, just like to switch things up every now and again. I will say the Ultra is way more comfortable for all day carry (IWB on right hip):twocents:

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I recently tried out a few pros, compacts and ultras and prefer the compact. Since I don't have large hands I like the shorter grip of the ultra but I liked the 4" barrel, and really like the CDP configuration.

I also found a couple CDP Compacts yesterday, although neither of them are local. One is used and one is new. The used is going for $949 and the new one is $1,169. Since retail is $1,300 both seem like good deals so I am probably going to go with one of them.

I am just not sure if it is worth the extra $220 to go with a new one. I would prefer new, but thats quite a bit of money I could put towards some new crimson trace grips. :D

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Another small note (not a big deal) is the slide spring life on the 4" is rated at about 800 rounds.

They are rated at 1800 rounds for the 3" Ultra. :twocents:

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    picture.php

Another vote for the compact 4"
    Here's mine.

Top Bottom