Decision Point: Walther PPS or Beretta Nano?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shinteetah

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I am trying to find a smaller, more concealable gun for carry. Being rather significantly more hourglass-shaped than most of the male types doing online reviews, this has been kind of challenging, but I think I'm getting there. I've finally narrowed the field down to two contenders, the PPS and the Nano.

Has anyone here handled/shot both? I've found a local range that rents the PPS, but haven't found a Nano to try. I currently shoot an XDM, which I really like; does one of these smaller guns handle more similarly to that than another? (I know guns can be individuals! but I'm practicing for pragmatic reasons, and I don't want to have to mentally shift gears while my forebrain is occupied with Bad Guy In Front Of Me. If the new XDS were available in 9mm already, I don't think I'd be posting this thread, just ordering. :) )

The key points I've found in reading:
    BERETTA NANO -- long trigger, no slide lock but locks back empty, very accurate
    WALTHER PPS -- trigger guard mag release, scratchy trigger may improve with use, one additional round in standard

One guy says his PPS prints but the Nano hides; another says the opposite. Without hands on, I can't guess which will be the case for me. Suggestions? Info to share? All input welcome (except for telling me instead about your favorite make not included here; honest, I probably looked at it! :D ). Thank you!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have no experience with the Nano, but I have the .40 PPS and other than it doesn't fit my hands very well (wide hands, short fingers) so I am not as accurate with it as I would like to be (6" groups at 50' vs 2-3" groups at 50' I can do with my Glocks), I *love* it. I love its size and how well it conceals, I love its feel in my hand, and once I got used to it, I came to prefer the magazine release. I put about 2500 or so rounds through mine and the trigger is much smoother than when it was new (as is the case on most guns).

It conceals better than the specification numbers might lead you to believe as it's beveled on most of its edges. I carried it as an EDC for about a year and a half or so. I put it up for sale last fall when I got a Glock 36 that fits my hand better, but that was the only reason I did, I otherwise really like the gun.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The PPS, IMO is the best single stack 9mm out there. I have apprx 2000 trouble free rounds through mine so far.

The trigger is great, little take up and a crisp clean break. It's unbelievably accurate, easy to shoot well, and I love the german style mag release YMMV. You can also get 6-8rd mags which is nice.
    I carry 7+1 and a spare 8rd in a comptac mtac (highly recommend) and I don't even notice it in casual dress or more formal attire. (5'11", 175lbs)

I suggest looking at the LE edition (night sights + 3 mags) as it is the best value. The cons of the platform are the price of mags, but that is about it. You may also look into the limb saver grips as a lot of PPS shooters seem to like it.

two things to look out for when buying:
    1.) make sure all the tritium lamps are bright
    2.) Slide stop spring is held in place (should be a non issue with newer guns)( Check your slide stop - WaltherForums )

_0llZll0_

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Gander Mountain has them both in stock to get a side by side comparison. I own the Walther pps 9mm. I am a petite woman and can conceal with a comp-tac mtac very well.

Shinteetah

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Great info, tdoom! I'll keep that in mind.

Which Gander Mountain, _0llZll0_? I've stopped at 2 this week and neither had the Nano. I suppose I can call around, though.

Thank you very much, EdC! but I rented a PPS yesterday (and did find it very accurate, indeed). Still would love to see a Nano, though.

Thank you all for chiming in!

_0llZll0_

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Great info, tdoom! I'll keep that in mind.

Which Gander Mountain, _0llZll0_? I've stopped at 2 this week and neither had the Nano. I suppose I can call around, though.

Thank you very much, EdC! but I rented a PPS yesterday (and did find it very accurate, indeed). Still would love to see a Nano, though.

Thank you all for chiming in!

The one in castleton had them both last time i was in.
    Good luck
    Z

Shinteetah

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The one in castleton had them both last time i was in.

Thanks! I called today to make sure they were on display, then drove up. Ended up walking out with the Nano. :) Hope it's as good as advertised! I took the last one and discovered in the car that the finish was scratched -- annoying! -- but the gun itself seems quite nice. Will try to get to the range tomorrow.

Thanks for input, everyone!

_0llZll0_

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Thanks! I called today to make sure they were on display, then drove up. Ended up walking out with the Nano. :) Hope it's as good as advertised! I took the last one and discovered in the car that the finish was scratched -- annoying! -- but the gun itself seems quite nice. Will try to get to the range tomorrow.

Thanks for input, everyone!

Glad you found one. Let us all know how you like it.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I don't know if you decided yet or not, but I have a PPS in .40 so I thought I'd give my :twocents:.

I love to carry it. It is thin and light and fits easily IWB in my Comp Tac holster. no print whatsoever even if I wear it with a suit.

Downside is that it is not confortable to shoot and in retrospect I might have got the 9 instead just because it is so small and the felt recoil would be less--and to get the extra round. I have a 7rnd mag for it, but it starts to stick out a bit with that mag, so I usually carry it as a spare.

Good luck!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I don't know if you decided yet or not, but I have a PPS in .40 so I thought I'd give my :twocents:.

I love to carry it. It is thin and light and fits easily IWB in my Comp Tac holster. no print whatsoever even if I wear it with a suit.

Downside is that it is not confortable to shoot and in retrospect I might have got the 9 instead just because it is so small and the felt recoil would be less--and to get the extra round. I have a 7rnd mag for it, but it starts to stick out a bit with that mag, so I usually carry it as a spare.

Good luck!
    I believe the OP stated they went with the Nano.

Shinteetah

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I did go with the Nano, and just for the record, it does conceal much better than my XDM 3.8. ;)

I took it to the range today and while the Nano's looong trigger threw me off at first, by the third magazine I was shooting pretty comparably with it. I didn't even notice whether my pinky was on or off most shots (off at least a couple, as I paused to consider my grip, but I was honestly unaware most of the time).

In case anyone else is considering it, I will say that the Nano seemed to sting my hand less than the PPS did -- though both were quite shootable in my very limited experience.

Here's a pic of the very first comparison. Don't judge my XDM group too harshly, please. At least with the Nano I have the excuse of an unfamiliar tool. ;)

imagehandler.axd

Here's how I finished, moving in numerical order at 7 yards. Was pretty happy with the Nano by this time though trigger still feels long!

imagehandler.axd

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I did go with the Nano, and just for the record, it does conceal much better than my XDM 3.8. ;)

I took it to the range today and while the Nano's looong trigger threw me off at first, by the third magazine I was shooting pretty comparably with it. I didn't even notice whether my pinky was on or off most shots (off at least a couple, as I paused to consider my grip, but I was honestly unaware most of the time).

In case anyone else is considering it, I will say that the Nano seemed to sting my hand less than the PPS did -- though both were quite shootable in my very limited experience.

Here's a pic of the very first comparison. Don't judge my XDM group too harshly, please. At least with the Nano I have the excuse of an unfamiliar tool. ;)
    Not bad for your first outing. How many rounds fired? Type of ammo? Any sign of extraction problems?

Top Bottom