decisions, decisions/opinions, opinions!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland

Anyway I love j-frame sized .38spl snub-nosed revolvers & I think everyone should have at least one, but they really don't completely disappear when worn like an LCP does

i love the j-frames and shot one before but my thing is i really don't want to spend the same amount or more that i spent for my glock. i'm using this as a occasional carry, mostly for work.

and i would love to have a j-frame and will prolly get one eventually but the sticker price on those is actually more than i paid for my glock after tax. so im tryin to stay as far under $400 as possible.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    i'm really torn between the LCP and a revolver.

what would some of you do in my postion?
    i work in a store where i am constantly walking, bending, lifting, etc. and i do carry my glock 23 but i always hav to worry about it printing and it is just not comfortable at work. any other time i am perfectly comfortable. im not looking for a new EDC (although i may carry this new one as a back up as well) i am looking for a gun to carry comfortably at work.

i like the idea of the fire power with a revolver, but the concealability of the LCP is huge in my mind.

im really leaning towards revolver, but i can't get the LCP out of my mind.
    pocket carry is probably what i will be doing the most.

im just having a really hard time deciding guys!!!!!

thanks for all the suggestions so far :rockwoot:

Much as I like revolvers, I really don't think the LCP can be beat for the deep concealment needs you are expressing here. It's less bulky than even the revolver, it's so small it just disappears no matter where you put it, it won't be poking you every time you bend over, and it's chambered in an adequately powerful round.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Much as I like revolvers, I really don't think the LCP can be beat for the deep concealment needs you are expressing here. It's less bulky than even the revolver, it's so small it just disappears no matter where you put it, it won't be poking you every time you bend over, and it's chambered in an adequately powerful round.

thats what i was thinking. but it seems to me from some of these post the LCP is kind of a love hate thing like the glock.

some people say shooting it is fine, others say its a (insert appropriate word here) to shoot.

i am a little worried about the firepower compared to a revolver but i guess then again i dont plan on needing that firepower.

and im still havin a hard time getting over the cool factor of revolvers. i have always had a fascination with revolvers. haha

im starting to think LCP more and more so to the LCP owners out there how do you like or not like shooting since ive heard both.

thanks again everyone!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I agree with Joe that the KelTec and LCP is hard to beat for a pocket pistol. They are small and light. Personally I am not a fan of the micro .380 pocket pistols. I view them as finicky to technique. The .380 is adaquate, but remember the it will lose some velocity in the smaller guns. So, I am a fan of the .38 snubby. Just picked up a Taurus 850 UltraLite a couple of weeks ago. I have to say that I like it. It is currently with me more then my Glock 23. For the money it is the way to go. A bit of a handful, but shoots well enough. Originally I was thinking LCR but had the opportunity to get the Taurus. Thought I might trade it off on an LCR later (the LCR is lighter yet), but after taking it to the range a couple times I think I'll keep it (at least for now). The Taurus 85s I have had in the past served their purpose well enough. For pocket carry I would recommend a hammerless or bobbed hammer.

hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Get the LCP. I have one that I carry on a daily basis. Ive shot hundreds of rounds through it without a single problem. I don't understand the complaint people have with its shooting ability. I have no problem shooting 100 rounds or so through it. It can't be beat in my opinion.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Just buy the revolver! Nothing screams cool, macho, manly, confident like a .38 in your pocket. Autos are so gangsta.

Get the LCP. I have one that I carry on a daily basis. Ive shot hundreds of rounds through it without a single problem. I don't understand the complaint people have with its shooting ability. I have no problem shooting 100 rounds or so through it. It can't be beat in my opinion.

you guys are killin me right now! haha seriously thanks to everyone for your input. really helpful i've just got to really think this one through.

thankfully ive got about 2 weeks before i have the money so i've got time.
    then again this could be bad cause i might even find a 3rd gun to consider. jeez.. lol

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I think whatever you decide on you have made a good choice. In the $300 price bracket the Bersa 380, LCP, and TAURUS 85 are all good choices. Those would definately be my picks. Not kidding here. Although an UltraLite 85 will cost a bit more unless it is used. If you are close to Seymour you can shoot mine.

If I were to carry at work like you are describing, I would take a good hard look at the LCP. It is by far going to be the easiest to conceal.

Last edited:

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    you guys are killin me right now! haha seriously thanks to everyone for your input. really helpful i've just got to really think this one through.

thankfully ive got about 2 weeks before i have the money so i've got time.
    then again this could be bad cause i might even find a 3rd gun to consider. jeez.. lol

If you are really needing ultra concealment, then go for the KelTec or LCP cousins. Honestly, I can conceal my 1911 Ultra Carry about as easily as my Taurus 85, even though the 85 is lighter. That being said, neither the 85 or the 1911 will work as a pocket gun IMO.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    If I were to carry at work like you are describing, I would take a good hard look at the LCP. It is by far going to be the easiest to conceal.

yea thats the biggest factor in my mind cause i knew that would be, but my hang up is that if i can conceal a revolver more than adequately and comfortably then i would much rather have that fire power.

it may come down to me going to cabelas and handling the two.

auntduci

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    Charter Amrs Revolver

Hi, I didnt know where to post this question and all the places I thought it would fit were closed.

But I have a Charter Arms undercover .38 special revolver.
    It is 1965-fifth anniversary 1970
    From bridgeport, Conn
    Never been used.

Does any one know how I would go about finding a selling price for this?
    I cant find anything on the internet because its so old.

And I cant find anyone else that has one.

Any help would be appreciated.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    :welcome: to :ingo: auntduci! Feel free to start new threads if you want to open a new topic for discussion. Also, make sure to stop by the Introductions and Greetings - INGunOwners page to introduce yourself. People here are quite friendly and willing to help. Our rules don't allow people to sell things until they have 50 posts or are a site supporter, but we can try to help you find a value for it.

The easiest thing to do would be to take it to a reputable local gun dealer and see if they would be interested in buying it. You could also take it to a pawn shop and see what they might offer. I'll warn you in advance that these will be fairly low offers (they have to be able to sell it for a profit). If you add 50% to their offers you should have a pretty reasonable price for a person to person sale.

Anyhow, stop by Introductions and Greetings - INGunOwners so we can get to know you. Then start a new thread with more details and we can help you ascertain a value. Once you get to 50 posts or become a site supporter I'm sure someone here would be glad to buy it from you! :draw:

Owen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Fishers
    I'm not gonna hate on any of the other guns mentioned. But I am going to put in a good word for Elsie Pea.

The LCP completely disappears, it is the easiest carrying gun ever. I have 2 Glocks and I usually carry the LCP. There is a lot of truth to the old saying better a .380 in the hand than a .45 at home.

There are some pretty effective rounds available these days, like the Hornady Critical Defense for example.

As to shooting it... I can get pretty decent groups with mine, I feel I can be effective at self defense distances.
    Is it a little harsh on the hand to shoot? Yes, but so what? It's not that bad, and really, are you buying it to carry or are you buying it to shoot thousands of rounds a year?

Bottom line, if I had it to do over, I'd buy it again.

P.S. I love my Crossbreed Supertuck holster for it, in horsehide of course.:rockwoot:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom