• ...and so much more!
  • selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Decisions, decisions (Weatherby pics)

I am trying to decide if I should part with an old friend. I have a beautiful in 95% plus Weatherby Mark V Deluxe 270 mag, it's an older model, not sure of its date of manufacture. It has been in the safe for a while but I do get it out once or twice a year and shoot it a few times. If I remember I put a brand new Redfield scope on it when I got it. I also have the Weatherby 270 mag dies for it. A good friend of mine who was my neighbor at the time, gave me this rifle in exchange for some work. He was 93 at the time. That was several years ago and is recently deceased. I have been thinking about making my first AR purchase and selling this gun or trading it would be one of the ways I might make that happen. It's the 'what if's' that are holding me back. Like what if I want to go out west and hunt big game someday? I just haven't made up my mind. Any thoughts?:dunno:
    weatherby016.jpg

weatherby014.jpg

weatherby008.jpg

weatherby012.jpg

weatherby011.jpg

weatherby004.jpg

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Well many of us have our regrets of selling guns in the past. Personally I don't sell guns very often, and the very rare times that I do it is only to upgrade or get something new.
    How close were you with the man that gave it to you? If it were a firearm that was in your family for generations I would say no way to selling it.

I would guess you would get much more use out of an AR. If I had a gun that rarely gets use and/or I don't really have a specific need for, then I would consider parting with it to help fund a new gun that would be used alot or fill a specific need.

I would say just don't rush into anything. Think about it for a little while and go with what you feel is the best decision for you. Good luck :ingo:

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    If you and that neighbor were good friends....as the yrs pass and you look at that rifle, you'll remember your neighbor.
    Basically his memory will live on.
    Your decision, but I know what mine would be.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Don't sell! You'll regret it for the rest of your life. You'll never regret NOT selling it. Whether or not you and your neighbor were close doesn't really matter with this gun. This isn't some el cheapo .22 or 30-30 lever gun. This is a classic. Would you sell a cherry 1957 Chevy 2 door hard top with a 283cid engine? I'd love to see a picture of it.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Yeah, take it from someone who has sold off a few rifles and handguns in the past, just because I could not be patient and wait till I had the money for the "new" one I was eyeballing in the gun store. There were a few of them I was damn stupid to get rid of. I would just set yourself a goal to keep back just a little cash each payday, and be patient. It will build up and you will eventually be able to buy the AR you want and still have that fine .270. JMHO.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I have to agree it is a fine rifle. It just isn't something that everyone has. I think I'm gonna keep it for now. Thanks for the input. When I have a chance I will get it out of the safe and take some pictures of it but be forwarned you will be jealous. It is a beautiful site to behold and you will want one of your own.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    It sounds to me that you really dont want to get rid of the rifle or you wouldnt have been debateing on selling it, you would have just done it. I would just save a little longer and just buy you an AR and keep your rifle.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Beautiful gun. Since Warsaw is too far to drive to tonight would you have someone grab the back of your head for me and smack your face into a wall 4 or 5 times for even thinking about selling it?:rolleyes: The pics were great though.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    Save your money and add an AR to the collection. That rifle is something you will never be able to replace once its gone. I inherited a Mark 22 about 10 years ago and sold it to buy a 44 mag a few years back. I wish I had it back. You can buy an AR any day of the week, but the old rifles dont come up forsale very often.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Beautiful gun. Since Warsaw is too far to drive to tonight would you have someone grab the back of your head for me and smack your face into a wall 4 or 5 times for even thinking about selling it?:rolleyes: The pics were great though.

HAHAHA Thats funny stuff. You know if you come here your gonna have to shoot my gun, if my head get's smashed on the wall though I might not remember the combination to the safe. :wallbash: :fogey:

revolvers&w

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Albany
    A quality firearm with history connected to your friend and neighbor not to mention that awesome curly grain stock would have to qualify as a keeper in my book.
    Find another way to finance your next purchase.
    You may regret letting this one get past you.

Top Bottom