• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Kicking around the idea of buying a dedicated .22 upper for my AR. Anyone with experience with either the CMMG or Tactical Solutions flat top uppers?

As far as the CMMG is concerned I see the forward assist is non functional (unless you upgrade it). Can't think of why I'd need it for a .22 anyway. Am I correct that everything else works like a regular upper does? Looks to have a port cover, I assume it opens and closes like any AR would?

About the TacSol, even less info on their website. Anyone know if the forward assist is a working one? Does the TacSol have a LRHO?

After upgrading the CMMG to include the BHOA and one 25 rd mag the price of both uppers within $100-$150 or so of each other. Is the CMMG a quality upper, or is it worth it to go with the more expensive TacSol? Or is the CMMG a better quality upper?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I looked into buying a dedicated upper but decided on the conversion kit instead. Sounds like I can get close to the accuracy of most of the dedicated uppers, and I don't want to have to spend so much money to recreate my AR.

Honestly, I can't see much reason to buy the dedicated upper unless you got a tackdriver, but then why would you get that in an AR?

Not criticizing your preference at all, I just couldn't figure out why I'd go to the extra expense.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I've read the TacSol uppers don't run as well as others. For $300 or so I'm looking into the CMMG's.

Spikes are good too but more expensive and probably on backorder.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    I looked into buying a dedicated upper but decided on the conversion kit instead. Sounds like I can get close to the accuracy of most of the dedicated uppers, and I don't want to have to spend so much money to recreate my AR.

Honestly, I can't see much reason to buy the dedicated upper unless you got a tackdriver, but then why would you get that in an AR?

Not criticizing your preference at all, I just couldn't figure out why I'd go to the extra expense.

I decided to look into a dedicated .22 upper after pricing out the CMMG conversion. For what I wanted you're looking at $335 at CMMG. I found a site that is selling the TacSol M4 .22 upper for $499. For the extra $164 I'll get a complete upper with all the BHOA stuff built in.:yesway:

I plan on using my AR for squirrel in the fall and will need a scope for that. I don't want to have to be removing the red dot from the rail of my .223/5.56 upper and mounting up a scope everytime I want to hunt squirrel, or shoot steels with .22's. I belong to a club here that shoots steels once every month, and looking to run it twice a month.:yesway::yesway:

I guess I decided for the investment I have in the AR, I'm going to utilize it every way I can. Looks like the 10/22 might start gathering dust in the safe.:rolleyes:

Now if someone would make an upper that shot .44 mag, I'd use it to hunt deer too!:rockwoot:

jd4320t, That I hadn't heard. Not disputing what you stated but I've only read good reviews on the Tactical Solutions .22 uppers. Maybe I'll look around the web about this somemore. I have read that none of the conversions or dedicated uppers will run with a notched hammer. Lucky for me my DPMS has a rounded hammer.

Last edited:

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have been looking at these as well. I ordered a CMMG dedicated upper last week. I found one for around $325 new CMMG, Inc Upper Complete M4LEP .22 LR, 16" 11055 I see it is out of stock right now but keep watching this is the cheapest place I have found them.

What I found out is Spike has discontinued theirs Tac Solution is a great upper but is $$$ DPMS does not make them anymore there are some used ones floating around but beware they use a proprietary magazine and they are not available anymore. The conversion kits seem to work well but I wanted a dedicated upper thatwas accurate and could be used for hunting as well as plinking. My daughter wanted a S&W M&P-15 22 and this cost less than that so that is the route I took. They don't seem to last long if you find one in stock buy it I looked at several and after a few hours they had sold so they must be popular with someone.

Good luck

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I have been looking at these as well. I ordered a CMMG dedicated upper last week. I found one for around $325 new CMMG, Inc Upper Complete M4LEP .22 LR, 16" 11055 I see it is out of stock right now but keep watching this is the cheapest place I have found them.

What I found out is Spike has discontinued theirs Tac Solution is a great upper but is $$$ DPMS does not make them anymore there are some used ones floating around but beware they use a proprietary magazine and they are not available anymore. The conversion kits seem to work well but I wanted a dedicated upper thatwas accurate and could be used for hunting as well as plinking. My daughter wanted a S&W M&P-15 22 and this cost less than that so that is the route I took. They don't seem to last long if you find one in stock buy it I looked at several and after a few hours they had sold so they must be popular with someone.

Good luck

Awesome. Do you currently run a notched or rounded hammer? Let us know when you get it!

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    I bought a CMMG complete rifle with a dedicated .22lr upper. As long as you keep it wet it works great but if you don't keep it well lubricated it will jam every couple rounds. Other than that it's a accurate little rifle and cheap to shoot

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    I priced a CMMG complete upper. With all the "goodies" everyone says you should get in it, it was only about $50 less than the TacSol upper. As I said I've found the TacSol M4 upper for $499.

I don't like the fact you have to add the BHOA and modify the magazine with the CMMG. Also, not real keen on the cut up port cover to clear the deflector they have on the receiver. I could live with all that, but for around $50 the TacSol appears to be the way to go IMO.

I'm waiting to hear back from TacSol to see if it is possible to order or swap out the fixed front sight and replace it with a railed gas block since I would prefer a flip up front sight. They say it is a Mil Spec contour M4 barrel so I'm assuming a .750 ID railed gas block would fit.:dunno:

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Running a rounded hammer. The upper should be here on Tuesday my daughter is waiting:D I will let you know how it works I am new to the AR world so still learning about them. This is my first build and started with the 22 upper so we can have fun. The next one on the list is a varmint upper heavy barrel in SS. Never needed more than one shot on coyote or ground hog but ya never know :rockwoot:

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    I kept looking and scored a new TacSol M4 .22 upper for $475. :rockwoot: Total came to $489 and some change with shipping. THAT is right at what a CMMG upper + goodies priced out to. They say 2 day UPS shipping. Might just have it in time for the 3 day weekend.:ar15:

Guess what I might be shooting at May's FNS.:yesway:

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    The upper came we went out and broke it in its a keeper:rockwoot:
    Got about 300 rounds through it already seems to shoot great. It likes to run wet as mentioned above.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I kept looking and scored a new TacSol M4 .22 upper for $475. :rockwoot: Total came to $489 and some change with shipping. THAT is right at what a CMMG upper + goodies priced out to. They say 2 day UPS shipping. Might just have it in time for the 3 day weekend.:ar15:

Guess what I might be shooting at May's FNS.:yesway:

What are these "goodies" you mention? BHOA and an extra mag?

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    What are these "goodies" you mention? BHOA and an extra mag?

The SST forward assist equiped action , BHOA, and the SS go-no go collar.

The price before shipping is $470.35. Add the $24 shipping and you're at $494.35. I should state this is from CMMG's website. Possible to find it cheaper elsewhere I suppose. I paid $489 for the TacSol upper which includes shipping.

Don't get me wrong, I like the fact the CMMG comes with a railed gas block compared to the TacSol's front sight. I want a flip up front sight so I will be looking into replacing the sight with a railed gas block, IF possible. I'm waitng to hear back from Tactical Solutions on that.

Water63, what brand/type of ammo did you run thru your upper? Don't know how/if the Blazer lead round nose I run thru my MkIII will feed in the upper I'm getting. Hope so, It's cheap, accurate, and did I mention cheap!:D God knows I'll be running ALOT of .22 ammo thru this thing.:yesway:

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    I've been over to MCF&G twice with the new TacSol upper. I've ran about 250 rounds of Blazer lead round nose thru it so far with only two failure to fire problems. Both rounds had the same strike mark on the rim as the other rounds, so it was an ammo issue not the upper.

Fit and finish is excellent, it actually fits tighter than the 5.56 upper that came on the rifle. The finish matches the DPMS lower it's on perfectly. I am happy. BTW, the forward assit IS functional.

phonepics055.jpg

phonepics056.jpg

I mounted up a MBUS rear sight, and a riser for a scope I had lying around. Also replaced the black handguard with a FDE MOE to match the stock and grip on the lower. No pic's yet with the scope mounted up. I ordered 2 additional mags from Palmetto State Armory today. TacSol wants $35 each, PSA has them for $17.

If work permits, THIS will shot at FNS next month.:yesway: Also will be with me this fall for squirrel season.:yesway: An AR for squirrel.... life's good.:D

Top Bottom