• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    I am still relatively new to hunting and learn something new every time I head out to the woods.
    Question today: Do any of you use deer decoys? If so doe/buck, tips, tricks, do/do not, etc? Thanks for any help. I see plenty of decoy options while perusing the hunting section in the store but have never used nor know how to efficiently use these aids. The purpose of this is to see if these can be used as a relevant hunting aid along with any helpful information while using them.
    Thank you all for your time

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've put one out for the first time this year. Hunted over it three times now and it hasn't shown me that it's worth the hassle of setting it up. It could just be our place though, nothing, and I mean nothing that people claim to work like scents, rattling, doe bleats or grunts does anything to the deer here. At best you'll get one to stop and look in your direction for three seconds.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I recommend the Montana photo realistic decoys. Look good. Lightweight. Quick and easy to set up. Staple a paper towel with some doe pee on it to the butt so it flaps in the breeze.

The life size ones are way more trouble than I'm goin to.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I shot what I thought was a deer from my car at night while jacklighting it, then walked up for a closer look when it failed to either drop or run away, only to find out that it was some kind of really cool radio controlled decoy thingy.
    Then, for some reason I saw these red flashing lights switch on behind me, so I just threw the decoy in the trunk of my car, jumped in, then sped away.
    Oh wait, did I just post that?

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    When they work, they work like a charm. I use a decoy and put one antler on it. A buck will come right in. The does will spook from it. Had a big buck once coming in and a doe started blowing and stomping at the decoy. Buck left when doe ran off. :(

Clay319

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Boone County
    I have a full body doe decoy that I have used for probably 10 years. Never had a deer spook and most of them will come across a cornfield to check it out. They will absolutely fixate on the decoy allowing you to do whatever you need to do. I even had a nice buck mount it one evening. It didn't work out for him but I found it pretty amusing. It will also attract unwanted attention from other hunters so private property only. It is a pain to carry and I often leave it laying down under the stand to avoid carrying it in every hunt. It is in the truck ready to go hunting tomorrow AM.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Deer know every "resident" deer in the area. During the rut I've had a buck that was literally chasing a doe past my stand stop and challenge the decoy. He only got to make that mistake once.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Several years ago I was given the privilege/blessing of being able to watch twin bucks grow from practically birth up. That year for giggles I put a bow target doe out and slathered her hindquarters with doe estrus pee. The thought of watching those two knuckleheads trying to figure it out still makes me smile. Decoys work. Add a little scent and they work well.

Top Bottom