Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Deer harvest down in ’13 but still a top 10 season

Date & Time
    2/27/2014 - 2/28/2014

Description
    Hunters harvested fewer deer in the 2013 season than in each of the previous five seasons. That might be sobering news to some deer hunters, but it wasn’t unexpected.

“Going into the year, I knew it was going to be down,” said Chad Stewart, deer management biologist with the DNR Division of Fish & Wildlife. “It’s what we thought it would be.”

The reported harvest of 125,635 deer was about 10,600 fewer deer than the record harvest of 136,248 in 2012, a decline of 7.8 percent. It still ranks eighth best since regulated deer hunting began in Indiana in 1951. The full harvest report is at –

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-2013deerseasonsummary.pdf

“Down about 8 percent is very similar to what we’re seeing in a lot of other Midwest states, so we’re par for the course,” Stewart said. “We’re still harvesting a lot of deer. The 125,635 shows we’re down but not collapsing.”

At least two and possibly three factors contributed to the lower harvest – carryover from a widespread outbreak of epizootic hemorrhagic disease (EHD) in 2012 and more in 2013, a record antlerless harvest in 2012, and the second season of new hunting regulations aimed at lowering deer densities in some areas of the state.

EHD, a viral disease transmitted by biting flies, was confirmed or suspected in 67 counties in 2012. It was reported in 23 counties in 2013, with 20 of them taking a hit for the second straight year. EHD is often fatal to deer.

“We had a record antlerless harvest in 2012 on top of a major disease outbreak, which tells us there were a lot less deer going into the season,” Stewart said. “It was pretty easy to predict the harvest would be down.”

It’s less certain how much of a role the new hunting regulations played.

“It really complicates things as far as interpretation,” Stewart said. “It’s not clear if deer numbers were down because of EHD or our management efforts or a combination of both.”

Harrison County had the highest harvest with 3,454 deer. Washington, Switzerland, Franklin, Steuben, Noble, Parke, Jefferson, Lawrence and Orange counties rounded out the top 10.

Harrison County’s total made it one of 10 counties with unofficial record harvests, compared to 35 record-setting counties in 2012.

Steuben, which had been the perennial top county until 2012, reported its lowest harvest total (2,652) since 1997 but still ranked fifth in the state.

Tipton had the lowest reported harvest with 91 deer, followed by Benton, Blackford, Hancock, Rush, Clinton, Wells, Howard, Shelby and Marion.

The firearms season accounted for 57 percent of the total, followed by archery at 27 percent. The muzzleloader (8 percent), late antlerless (5 percent), and youth season (2 percent) made up the rest.

Hunters had three options to report their harvest – traditional in-person check stations, online or by phone. It was nearly an even split between check stations (64,740) and the online/phone method (60,895). Last year, just over 60 percent were reported at check stations.

Contact Information
    Phil Bloom

dnrnews@dnr.in.gov

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    "During the opening weekend of firearms season, only 32% of the total firearm season harvest occurred, down from 50% in 2012. This was likely primarily due to a severe storm that came through the entire state on Sunday afternoon"

I think the weather knocked down the numbers quite a bit..

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    "During the opening weekend of firearms season, only 32% of the total firearm season harvest occurred, down from 50% in 2012. This was likely primarily due to a severe storm that came through the entire state on Sunday afternoon"

I think the weather knocked down the numbers quite a bit..

True, especially during the "late special antlerless season".. it was real nasty...

Still a lot of areas had less deer to begin with. Much of that was by design..

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    It is hard to tell how many hunters there were compared to years previous to last year as the bundle counts for 3 deer but there was approx a 5% reduction in the number of licenses fro 2012 to 2013 which probably coorelates to a reduction in the number of hunters.

The reduction in the number of deer, 8% makes sense though I thought that the percentage would have been higher just based on what I saw and what my buddies told me that they saw.

I would think that this winter is going to be harder on the deer than in the last few years. I would suspect that the number for next year's harvest is even lower than 2013.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It is hard to tell how many hunters there were compared to years previous to last year as the bundle counts for 3 deer but there was approx a 5% reduction in the number of licenses fro 2012 to 2013 which probably coorelates to a reduction in the number of hunters.

The reduction in the number of deer, 8% makes sense though I thought that the percentage would have been higher just based on what I saw and what my buddies told me that they saw.

I would think that this winter is going to be harder on the deer than in the last few years. I would suspect that the number for next year's harvest is even lower than 2013.
    You're gonna need a bigger spreadsheet.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I believe that many hunters aren't reporting their harvest because they have made the deer check-in TOO easy. Many of my friends have even told me that they simply forgot to check it in online because they just forgot about it. They weren't trying to poach or anything, they simply just forgot. The way it is setup now, you can take the deer from the field to your house with the knowledge that you can just check it in online. I think this has a pretty large influence on the numbers submitted as well. I know this system was in place last year, but just my thoughts.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In

Deer license sales decreased this year from 2012 by 4.5% (Table 6), but the number of privileges (number of deer legally allowed to be harvested) only decreased slightly (<1%) due to the increase in license bundle purchases, which allows for the taking of up to 3 deer per license bundle sold.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I believe that many hunters aren't reporting their harvest because they have made the deer check-in TOO easy. Many of my friends have even told me that they simply forgot to check it in online because they just forgot about it. They weren't trying to poach or anything, they simply just forgot. The way it is setup now, you can take the deer from the field to your house with the knowledge that you can just check it in online. I think this has a pretty large influence on the numbers submitted as well. I know this system was in place last year, but just my thoughts.

How does one forget to check in their deer?

IMHO that's like banging the neighbor gal ......because you forgot you were married.

buckhunter21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Southeast Indiana
    How does one forget to check in their deer?

IMHO that's like banging the neighbor gal ......because you forgot you were married.

Agreed. I don't believe the online check in has nothing to do with it. If you forget to check a deer in, thats on you.

Simply put, with EHD and silly extra seasons/ bag limits there just was not as many deer to start with.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Sorry I do not believe any adult would "forget" to check in a deer. One has 48 hours to do it.

we have had 48 hours to check in our kills in the past so one could still drive the deer home and hang it a couple days before checking it in. A lot of butchering can be done in 48 hours..

"Forget" is a very poor excuse...

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Got my deer last year. Didn't report it OR get a license to kill it(does drivers license count?) Ran over that sucker with my car and never looked back. Rental car company wasn't happy, but not my car and not my insurance paying for it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Neighbor guy lost two.
    Non recoverable hits.
    So he tags one, but kills 3.....and if one a mature doe...............count that as 5 deer gone.
    And this in a high bonus number county.
    Tons of people hunting small parcels.............pretty much "brown and down" mentality.
    I think the DNR plan is to decimate the deer in my area.
    I've taken one, a doe.............in 3 yrs.
    Could have filled more tags, but chose not to.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Hookeye, I agree that there are too many people that shoot and do not spend time tracking. Drives me nuts. I hate finding dead deer that were never tracked.
    You are fortunate to see a lot of does. I hunt for meat more than just for a trophy and no matter how many I get, nothing goes to waste.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I ran a spreadsheet on the 2012 versus 2013 kills and it appears that most of the down counties were in northern Indiana.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom