• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    So much good stuff in this thread. There’s nothing wrong with meat hunting, and nothing wrong with seeking out the challenge of chasing that one trophy buck. Each are respectable in different ways.

Warthog, you’re on the right track. Don’t give up trying to find a mentor, as that’s really the best way to get into hunting. Unfortunately I already have a couple new(ish) hunters that accompany me hunting, or I would take you myself!

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I unfortunately had no mentor and didn’t start hunting until later in my life... people who grew up hunting don’t realize the advantage they have! Took me 4 seasons to get a deer on my little 10 Acres I bought. Now hunting on public land which also has its challenges

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I honestly can't tell the difference in the meat from bucks and does unless it's a real mature, rutty buck. Good processing and preparation will make any deer meat good!

I believe in this to some extent. Sure tenderloins from a young doe will likely be better than an old buck, but both will be filling and tasty when prepared properly. I recently had rib meat from an old buck. (Wanted to try out crockpot ribs, but didn't have much time when cutting it up.) It was marinated for 2 days and then baked. The meat was tender and very tasty. Preparation took some time, but it was worth it and provided two meals for me.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    Over the years I've taken both does and mature bucks. A doe typically will have a more tender less gamey tasting meat. But as others have said, with proper food prep a buck tastes just fine. So people think I'm crazy when i say this but i personally have everything but the roasts ground. I find my family typically uses very little of the steaks and backstrap. So i get them ground up too. We burn through ground deer burger each year. I hunt because i enjoy the time outdoors and because it provides a more natural meat source for my family. I do have some bucks mounted on my wall too. Just because I'm hunting for meat doesn't mean I'm not proud when I've been blessed with a mature buck. I have a few things I always do when I get a deer. One, i always say a little prayer after getting one down before I start field dressing it. Basically just to say thanks. The next is I've always given someone some of my meat. Whether its a few roasts and burger or some summer sausage, I just try and find someone I know could use it. Both of these come from traditions that have been passed along in my family.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I can't stand deer burger.
    Only keep some around so the kids can make jerky (tolerable- doesn't last long).
    Deer steaks..........oh yeah.

Usually give most of the burger away.
    Never have liked that stuff. Even w pork shoulder added.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    No deer hunting mentor.
    Learned how pretty fast, pre Youtube and internet too (impossible! LOL).

Relax, slow way down, look and listen.
    It's almost like the more you chill, the more you grill.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Learning basic deer behavior is pretty easy, was back when books were the source of information.
    IMHO deer hunting is more about learning one's self.
    Enjoy the journey, and some fine eats along the way.

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    I usually shoot whatever happens to come my way. The worst deer I ever ate was an old doe, it was like chewing on shoe leather. I killed a 12 pt buck a few years ago, ground it up in deerburger. It had an excellent taste to it. By and large the best eating deer is a button buck or a young doe in my estimation.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I have not had much of a hunting mentor. I have been blessed w private land where we know the general travels. The owner and I learn together as we dress and process deer.

I WANT to hunt more. Life keeps me from the farm and the sanity it provides. Plus after a successful season my freezer is full.

Top Bottom