• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Our resident nut job persist in filling her feeder for the deer that eat daily parallel to the road about 5 feet off the road. I was under the impression could be wrong? But I believe deer are browsers and were meant to eat vegetation, brush etc that was off the ground? Is this not contributing to chronic wasting disease?

Rant off

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Lots of problems with trying to hunt a corn pile other than legality

deer being fed don’t move as much

they turn nocturnal

it concentrates deer making disease transmission more likely

and of course it’s illegal to hunt over it

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011

they turn nocturnal

Not sure she is hunting, I just thought hunters would know about such things. Aside from encouraging deer to be in the road, I do not believe it’s healthy for deer to eat in a feces infested area. Seems like you would be promoting the spread of diseases.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I still fail to see the difference between baiting and planting food plots and providing salt licks. :dunno: I mean, unless you're not planning on hunting the deer that you're attracting.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

they turn nocturnal

Deer wasting is a prion disease, so unless they go cannibal ...

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Perhaps the importance of the corn pile is being over-estimated. Deer move and graze. All day long, it's non-stop.
    This.

Deer travel in herds, (part of the year anyways) and will frequent the same feed areas, but have multiple different feed areas. All day they are moving feed to water. People that say it increases risk for disease are half right and half wrong. Yes, having a plot that they are directly on top of each other while eating will increase chances, but deer sleep right next to each other, eat in fields and patches and bushes right next to each other, and drink right next to each other. It really isn’t any different, and actually can provide deer with vitamins and minerals.

I don’t mind throwing out corn and planting clover for em throughout the year. Just don’t bait them during season. That’s not hunting.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I still fail to see the difference between baiting and planting food plots and providing salt licks. :dunno: I mean, unless you're not planning on hunting the deer that you're attracting.
    If you ever deer hunt, you`ll know.

Food plots are simply smaller ag fields, and some aren`t smaller. Deer may enter different areas and there`s no real way to know when or where they`ll come in. Think about hunting a white oak grove during years of heavy mast production. Food is dropping, but you don`t know IF, or WHEN they`ll come in. Baiting on the other hand is typically a VERY small bait pile and the deer have to come within range of your chosen hunting weapon to reach the food. Deer catch on quickly. They know that venison is on EVERYONE`s menu, and if they wind you or catch your scent where you walked in, they may come to the bait, but not during daylight. And as someone else said, yup, salt blocks are considered baiting. If you hunt over the spot that salt block rested within a certain time of it being removed, even the earth underneath where it rested must be dug up and removed.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    This.

Deer travel in herds, (part of the year anyways) and will frequent the same feed areas, but have multiple different feed areas. All day they are moving feed to water. People that say it increases risk for disease are half right and half wrong. Yes, having a plot that they are directly on top of each other while eating will increase chances, but deer sleep right next to each other, eat in fields and patches and bushes right next to each other, and drink right next to each other. It really isn’t any different, and actually can provide deer with vitamins and minerals.

I don’t mind throwing out corn and planting clover for em throughout the year. Just don’t bait them during season. That’s not hunting.
    The whole having to drive 3mph home is getting old, they are to the point where they will not move.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    This.

I think it`s been generally accepted that when numerous deer gather in an area where a lot of feeding takes place, due to all the saliva, the risk of disease increases.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    The whole having to drive 3mph home is getting old, they are to the point where they will not move.
    That’s an entirely different issue. Maybe that’s as easy as talking to her about moving it from the road, you know, “for the safety of the deer”. She may be more understanding than you anticipate. Enjoy having the animals around, that’s the joy of living in the country. At least it’s deer and not protestors.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I think it`s been generally accepted that when numerous deer gather in an area where a lot of feeding takes place, due to all the saliva, the risk of disease increases.
    Exactly. There’s really no way to prevent it, other than people spreading feed make sure they’re spreading it far enough they aren’t all eating from a pile. I’ve seen a lot of people just dump it in a big pile and leave it. Given it doesn’t take long for animals to spread it naturally, but the main source is still the center.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    That’s an entirely different issue. Maybe that’s as easy as talking to her about moving it from the road, you know, “for the safety of the deer”. She may be more understanding than you anticipate. Enjoy having the animals around, that’s the joy of living in the country. At least it’s deer and not protestors.
    Not really going to try to negotiate with crazy. This is the same place where there are 5 sheds out front of the main house that are “tiny Houses”

Have tried flipping the lights on that does nothing to deter them.

maybe I am making a mountain out of a mole hill.

We had to put down our 13 year old St Bernard today, which may be contributing to my total intolerance for stupid today.

Top Bottom