• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M.Cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Will first two days here in central Indiana wind rain and snow have not seen anything moveing here .Now everything turning to mud and slop. Hope it freee up tonight. Hope others session going better .

M.Cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Pretty much what we are seeing on the east side of the state.
    Here that wind this evening was brutal here and still several acres of corn still in the feilds due to all the rain we had here. Hope it freezes tonight as walking a mile to woods sucks.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Columbus area, had a herd of 7 come up behind me on Saturday morning. Took a shot at the first one because I didn't see the rest. Followed what looked like a good blood trail for a while but then it just disappeared. We looked around for another 20 minutes but didn't find a deer or any more blood. Haven't seen anything since then. Too windy tonight to go back out.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Columbus area, had a herd of 7 come up behind me on Saturday morning. Took a shot at the first one because I didn't see the rest. Followed what looked like a good blood trail for a while but then it just disappeared. We looked around for another 20 minutes but didn't find a deer or any more blood. Haven't seen anything since then. Too windy tonight to go back out.
    It didn't disappear. You just quit looking.

M.Cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    i shot a deere in Kentucky once or a ridge seen the shot go through that dam thing ran 1\2 mile down hill and piled up in a brush pile I hunted down by the State park good hunting.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    i shot a deere in Kentucky once or a ridge seen the shot go through that dam thing ran 1\2 mile down hill and piled up in a brush pile I hunted down by the State park good hunting.
    And people say nothing stops a Deere. :D

They love to run off even after a good shot. We can usually track them down. This one was out of sight pretty quickly and we're guessing kept going for quite some time.

30 yds? Don't hurt yourself now. At least a 1/4 mile grid search was in order. Coyotes ate good.
    I think you misunderstood. The blood trail we had been following disappeared. We continued to search for a body to the borders of the woods and then looked out across the fields. We absolutely do not like leaving a wounded animal but sometimes it happens. You are likely correct about the coyotes and turkey vultures.

jwleeper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    What a beautiful morning to be out. After 2 days of high winds today was great and deer were moving. This is more like it. I do not think the rut is in full swing yet in NC IN. The does I saw were wanting nothing to do with bucks. Just my observation this am. What a beautiful sunrise today. The hunting gods were good to me as I did get a nice buck. The old Marlin .375 was tru for the 125 yd shot in the woods.
    Have a great day.
    JIM

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    And people say nothing stops a Deere. :D

They love to run off even after a good shot. We can usually track them down. This one was out of sight pretty quickly and we're guessing kept going for quite some time.

I think you misunderstood. The blood trail we had been following disappeared. We continued to search for a body to the borders of the woods and then looked out across the fields. We absolutely do not like leaving a wounded animal but sometimes it happens. You are likely correct about the coyotes and turkey vultures.
    I was left short of info. Assumed the worst. I see it so often and it rankles me.
    Apologies if you truly did all you could.

M.Cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    What a beautiful morning to be out. After 2 days of high winds today was great and deer were moving. This is more like it. I do not think the rut is in full swing yet in NC IN. The does I saw were wanting nothing to do with bucks. Just my observation this am. What a beautiful sunrise today. The hunting gods were good to me as I did get a nice buck. The old Marlin .375 was tru for the 125 yd shot in the woods.
    Have a great day.
    JIM
    Seen the same thing seen bucks moveing in and out of corn today but also seems does are not interested . To me just hasn't been cold en yet.

M.Cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    very quiet
    man here that figured be more on talking about there hunts. Great morning today seen a few but all were to far and running from a combine harvesting corn .But all went in woods .I backed out till evening hope it was the right thing.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    View attachment 167914 View attachment 167913 Up in Michigan for this Fishers resident.
    My brother is in another stand can you find him?
    I was north of Whitecloud for the opener. Not quite that much snow but it was pretty. Yelled at a guy on Federal land at 6:00 in the morning. He was setting up 50 yards behind my cabin. Rude bunch over there this year.
    Saw four does and a one horned spike. He was all black muck from the swamp and looked kinda beat up. Poor little fella was having a bad day. Home now to hunt for a few days.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    man here that figured be more on talking about there hunts. Great morning today seen a few but all were to far and running from a combine harvesting corn .But all went in woods .I backed out till evening hope it was the right thing.
    Most of the discussion is in the Outdoors section. Seems like a slow year for many so far. The standing corn in many areas is not probably not helping.

Top Bottom