• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I've never hunted before, been hunting, etc so I have very limited knowledge in this area. I know that Wal-Mart sells "hunting licenses" which I take you need a license to hunt (deer, ducks, etc..) basically 1 type of lience per animal or categroy type I take it.

My question is do you still need a license to hunt if you own your own land and say Bambi and his land are on it? :dunno:

Or is the IN hunting license only for state land? What if you go hunt on private land (ie. you pay the owner or the owenr charges xyz fee) do you still need a license then? :dunno:

Plus what does deer meat taste like? :dunno:

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    No, the license is required for harvesting of the animal. For example, you need a license for each animal you take. You can take deer if they are on land, you own and they are destroying your crops on.

Refer to DNR: Deer Hunting Regulations

Also, it has a strong flavor but is a low far high protein meat.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    Jediagh if you would like to try some deer meat please feel free to pm me. I have more than enough meat for my family and also my friends so if you want to give it a try let me know. As for the licenses just read the DNR hunting guide, it will be a lot more informative than any of us will be able to be.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thank you 1911Shooter for the offer but you are rather far, far from NWI.
    I know there are a few deer hunters in NWI that I have talked to that I'm sure if I'm brave enough to eat it could give me a sample of Bambi. I did glance at the DNR guide and it has answered more questions for me. Was not aware that up here in "ubran NWI" there was so much deer land where you can hunt with rifle and/or bow & arrow.

sbrville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Rush Co
    if you own/lease and farm the land you do not need a license. otherwise you do. all info you need at in.gov The meat is definitely different, but i do enjoy it when prepared certain ways. p.s. while you dont need a license, you do need to check deer in

Last edited:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    No you need a liscense to hunt period. Doesnt matter if you own the land.

Wrong, landowners hunt free.

No minium acreage required but land must be Ag land per DNR definition:

What is the minimum acreage to be considered a landowner?
    Answer: There is no minimum acreage. The only requirement is that the land has to be used for some type of agricultural production (i.e. growing corn, soybeans, wheat, Christmas trees, timber that is harvested, raising cattle, sheep, pigs, goats etc.) or is assessed as agricultural land for property tax purposes.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Wrong, landowners hunt free.

No minium acreage required but land must be Ag land per DNR definition:

What is the minimum acreage to be considered a landowner?
    Answer: There is no minimum acreage. The only requirement is that the land has to be used for some type of agricultural production (i.e. growing corn, soybeans, wheat, Christmas trees, timber that is harvested, raising cattle, sheep, pigs, goats etc.) or is assessed as agricultural land for property tax purposes.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!Also, as said above,get the DNR hunting and Trapping regulations pamphlet. Either at your local box store, mom and pop outdoors shop, or at the DNR website.

I prefer venison over beef. I call it "hillbilly filet mignon. Baked, grilled, fried, doesn't matter. Venison burger in spaghetti sauce is great!

joeman3285

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Montgomery County
    Don't need a license to hunt on land you own. You do have to comply with all other hunting regs though. So you shouldn't go out with your ought-six and a spotlight. Though I don't know who would stop you....

ShootinDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Me and my family eat 2-3 deer a year. The burger in chile,spagetti etc is hard to tell the difference between cow. On the other hand, the straps,loins have a distinctly different taste and blow beef away. Unless your land is zoned agriculteral or deer are destroying your crops-deprivation-you need a license for each one

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I know there are a few deer hunters in NWI that I have talked to that I'm sure if I'm brave enough to eat it could give me a sample of Bambi. I did glance at the DNR guide and it has answered more questions for me. Was not aware that up here in "ubran NWI" there was so much deer land where you can hunt with rifle and/or bow & arrow.

If you would quit calling/referring it to as "Bambi", it will taste a whole lot better. :):

Last edited:

joeman3285

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Montgomery County
    Just looked it up.

Under hunting license exemptions:
    "Landowners, or lessees of farmland who farm that land and are residents of Indiana, their spouses and children living with them, while hunting, fishing or trapping on the land they own or lease. This exemption does not apply to land owned by a business, corporation or partnership unless the shareholders, partners, members or owners are comprised solely of the members of an immediate family and farm that land. Farmland means agricultural land that is devoted or best adaptable for the production of crops, fruits, timber or the raising of livestock, or is assessed as agricultural land for property tax purposes."

So don't need a hunting license to hunt on your own land or land your immediate family owns.

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    Please consider taking a hunter's education class and if you are going to process the deer yourself, go to a vension workshop. It isn't cheap to have it processed by someone else, and after my experiences last year with a processor, I will always do that myself. Even if the landowner exemption is "free" you are safest with having your tax receipts, ideally your land should be zoned as "agricultural". You step off your land, then you need a license. A license covers a buck, if you want a doe then you need a bonus license. Each county has a doe quota, from 1-8 does allowed. (you have to have a doe license for each doe) There is really so much information you need before you hunt. We love venison here, if processed correctly. Good and safe hunting!

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN

If you don't plan on eating it please don't kill it.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

You got to be kidding me! I know of plenty of people that like to hunt that don't eat what they kill, but they make sure that the meat does not go to waste...they give it away to people they know that do enjoying eating wild game. I would say more people hunt for the enjoyment of the getting out in the woods and the challenge of hunting than they do for the necessity of putting food on the table.:twocents:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Please consider taking a hunter's education class and if you are going to process the deer yourself, go to a vension workshop. It isn't cheap to have it processed by someone else, and after my experiences last year with a processor, I will always do that myself. Even if the landowner exemption is "free" you are safest with having your tax receipts, ideally your land should be zoned as "agricultural". You step off your land, then you need a license. A license covers a buck, if you want a doe then you need a bonus license. Each county has a doe quota, from 1-8 does allowed. (you have to have a doe license for each doe) There is really so much information you need before you hunt. We love venison here, if processed correctly. Good and safe hunting!

My OP was just a question I had out of curiousity to see how much "government" interfereance we have in terms of hunting.

I have no intentions of going into the woods anytime soon to hunt wild life. Bambi will remain safe even if Bradsknives cringes when I say Bambi. :D

But before the year is out I'm going to see about trying some of this "bambi meat" that some of you love so much.

Top Bottom