• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tjg9204

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Hello INGO, i am a new member and this is my first post..i was wondering what rifles can you use to hunt deer in indiana..AND what do i have to have to legally deer hunt? i know i need to take a hunters safety course which i plan on doing march 12th at brown county state park. and i know i need a hunting license but can anyone specify for me please what license i need, how much it is, and what do i have to do to tag a deer? and can i tag 1 buck and 1 doe in one season? do i need separate tags? if i buy my license at say walmart will they give me tags? how much do they cost? I was reading some other things on other sites and it confused me even more than i already was.

thanks alot INGO! :rockwoot:

tjg9204

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    I was also wondering the same on turkey, and squirrel seasons..what do i have to do..i know thats a lot of basic questions, sorry guys just very interested and excited to start hunting.

Green04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2010
    I know if your using a rifle it has to shoot a pistol round... correct me if im wrong. here are some i can think of! hope it helps!

.357 magnum
    38-40
    41 magnum
    41 special
    44 magnum
    44 special
    44-40

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Hello INGO, i am a new member and this is my first post..i was wondering what rifles can you use to hunt deer in indiana..AND what do i have to have to legally deer hunt? i know i need to take a hunters safety course which i plan on doing march 12th at brown county state park. and i know i need a hunting license but can anyone specify for me please what license i need, how much it is, and what do i have to do to tag a deer? and can i tag 1 buck and 1 doe in one season? do i need separate tags? if i buy my license at say walmart will they give me tags? how much do they cost? I was reading some other things on other sites and it confused me even more than i already was.

thanks alot INGO! :rockwoot:

Greetings and welcome! The caliber list given in the post above is accurate, but might change when/if new regs come out this year. As it is now to hunt with a rifle you need to buy a "firearms license." This license is good for a buck only. If memory serves, and mine often doesn't, I think they were $25 last season. You can take a buck and a doe, but to do so you will need to buy, in addition to your firearms license, an "anterless" license. These, I think, were $25 as well. You can also harvest more anterless deer (number depends on county) buy purchasing extra antlerless tags. After the first one, they are $15 each. You will be given a peice of paper to tag them. Walmart will give them, if they have them, though you might have to ask. You can also make a copy of the tag (not license) from the annual hunting guide, which is free.

Of course, not to confuse you more, but all of this could completely change when/if new deer regs are brought out this year. We are sort of all waiting to see what happens, but maybe your hunter ed class can fill you in to any decisions.

tjg9204

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Greetings and welcome! The caliber list given in the post above is accurate, but might change when/if new regs come out this year. As it is now to hunt with a rifle you need to buy a "firearms license." This license is good for a buck only. If memory serves, and mine often doesn't, I think they were $25 last season. You can take a buck and a doe, but to do so you will need to buy, in addition to your firearms license, an "anterless" license. These, I think, were $25 as well. You can also harvest more anterless deer (number depends on county) buy purchasing extra antlerless tags. After the first one, they are $15 each. You will be given a peice of paper to tag them. Walmart will give them, if they have them, though you might have to ask. You can also make a copy of the tag (not license) from the annual hunting guide, which is free.

Of course, not to confuse you more, but all of this could completely change when/if new deer regs are brought out this year. We are sort of all waiting to see what happens, but maybe your hunter ed class can fill you in to any decisions.

okay thank you very much, that was very helpful. so say i wana have tags JUST INCASE for a buck and 1 doe.let me make sure i got this right i need to buy a firearms license, and thats good for 1 buck correct? and theyl give me a tag to put on the deer? and if i buy an anterless license thats good for one doe correct? and theyl give me another paper to put on the doe? and i can buy more doe tags for 15 bucks a piece after i buy the first for 25. what im trying to accomplish on the first day is being 100% legal lol, so if i go out hunting with a firearms license and a anterless license i can shoot a doe or buck correct? thanks again for responding, very very helpful.:)

tjg9204

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Legal rifle calibers must be atleast .357" in diameter and the cartridge case cannot be any longer than 1.625" in length. Here is a link to the DNR website with all the hunting regs. DNR: Hunting Guide & Regulations

yeah, ive read alota stuff from that site, and some of it makes sense then some of it confuses me. ive got the legal caliber rifles down, i just dunno how 2 tag the deer. but the way i understand it is, when you buy your firearms season license you can kill 1 buck. then if you buy an antler-less tag for $25 you can kill a doe. then you can buy antler-less tags for $15 AFTER youv bought the first for $25 lol.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    In order to hunt Squirrels or other small game you need to purchase a regular Indiana Hunting license. About $13.75 I think. In order to hunt turkey you need to purchase a turkey license (about $25 ) and a game bird habitat stamp (about $7 ). Just as you do with your deer license you need to make up a tag for your turkey license.

tjg9204

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    In order to hunt Squirrels or other small game you need to purchase a regular Indiana Hunting license. About $13.75 I think. In order to hunt turkey you need to purchase a turkey license (about $25 ) and a game bird habitat stamp (about $7 ). Just as you do with your deer license you need to make up a tag for your turkey license.

okay, so if i get a regular hunting license that will cover squirrel and rabbit? and turkey is a whole different license...and a stamp? and that is what confuses me...make a tag FOR my license? does that mean the license is good for how ever many squirrels? i just have 2 make paper tags? and with the deer i make paper tags myself too? i know i can only tag 1 buck with the license and 1 doe with a antler-less tag.... ive been told so many different things lol....thanks for tryin 2 help guys

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    okay, so if i get a regular hunting license that will cover squirrel and rabbit?

yes

and turkey is a whole different license
    yes

...and a stamp?
    yes, a gamebird habitat stamp, and a tag.

DNR: Small Game, Game Bird, & Wild Turkey Regulations

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/turkeytag.pdf

and that is what confuses me...make a tag FOR my license?
    For deer and turkey, yes. I just print out the "deer tag" at the DNR website and fill out most of it before the hunt.

You have to complete the tag "immediately" after killing a deer and attach the temporary tag to the deer before leaving it in the field or placing it in your vehicle. (I keep the tag in a ziplock bag to keep it dry and then use a rubber band to attach it to the leg.) At the check station you will get a permanent tag which they will attach through the leg tendon.

Link to the deer tag...http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/tempdeer.pdf

does that mean the license is good for how ever many squirrels?
    up to the daily bag limits and possession limits, yes.

i just have 2 make paper tags? and with the deer i make paper tags myself too? i know i can only tag 1 buck with the license and 1 doe with a antler-less tag.... ive been told so many different things lol....thanks for tryin 2 help guys
    You can make the tags yourself but it's much easier to print them out, then you don't have to remember what information you have to put on them... just fill in the blanks.

Last edited:

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    in the spring turkey season you will be able to harvest one bearded turkey with a spring turkey license and a game bird stamp. in the fall you can take a male or female turkey (limit one) with a turkey license and your game bird stamp. these tags are $25 and the stamp is $5 here is a link to dnr's deer regulations there is not enough room on this page for deer regulations but this link should help. DNR: Deer Hunting Regulations

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Temporary Transport Tag

I was typing this while kludge was posting but I’m going to post mine anyway. :)

The deer tag (officially called the “Deer Temporary Transport Tag”) is used only after you kill your deer. To avoid possible mistakes one could make during an adrenalin rush after a kill, I would suggest filling it out at home.
    Write your:

• Name
    • Address
    • License Number
    And also mark:

• Resident or Non-Resident
    • Season
    • License Type
    Then, after the kill, use your knife to make the three notches, 1-sex, 2-month, 3-day. The tag must be attached to the deer any time it is left unattended. The tag will be taken off at the deer check-in station by whoever checks your deer.

After filling mine out I cover both sides with clear packing tape and punch a hole in each end. Don’t forget to bring some string of wire to fasten the tag to the deer. I fasten mine to the leg.

willie69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    make sure you get a regular lic. after last years expire i know that sounds confusion but 2010 lic covers you through the close of the hunting season which is the end of feb. 2011 for rabbits quail ect.

Top Bottom