• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bevilsiz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    I really like H&R slug guns. 12 gauge is heavy, but packs a punch with Hornady SST rounds. One with a scope will run around $250ish.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    I really like H&R slug guns. 12 gauge is heavy, but packs a punch with Hornady SST rounds. One with a scope will run around $250ish.

Dicks has the Mossburg >500 with fully rifled slug barrel and scope mount , scope and extra shot barrell for $299

Why buy a single shot when for a few more bucks you get a lot more

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Remington 870....lots of options. Coluld turn in into a tacticle/home defense weapon in the off season! :D Same with the Mossburg.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Remington 870....lots of options. Coluld turn in into a tacticle/home defense weapon in the off season! :D Same with the Mossburg.

Both good options. He said cheap so I started as low as i thought I could get away with.

If you happen to have a contender frame you can usually find a .44 mag bbl for less than $200.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    You could always go old school with a muzzle loader too. Pick up an inexpensive CVA Wolf @ Walmart, pick up some Powerbelts and powder. Boom Deer gun. AND, you can hunt in muzzleloader season.

joeman3285

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Montgomery County
    Mossburg 500s are relatively cheap and pretty good guns. I carried one all summer for bear defense in AK (3 inch slugs and 00). Took it out and shot it after 3 days of slogging through the alders in the mud and rain and it still functioned well. My buddy uses one in 12 gauge smooth bore for whitetails here. I use an 870 20 gauge rifled and it knocks them over pretty well

IMHO, 12 gauge is too much for whitetails. Could ruin a lot of meat. My buddy shot a nice buck a few years back at about 60 yards. The slug went through the front chest and out the ass end braking a back leg. Didn't even need a meat grinder when we were cutting it up.... A 20 gauge is plenty.

Do a pump before you do a single shot. Wouldn't want to get excited and miss the first time and not have a chance for a follow up.

Dick's had a Savage pump for around 200 last I was in there. Don't know much about them but pump actions are hard to screw up.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Best deer gun I have ever owned is an old Western Auto 12 ga pump I bought used at a gun show about 18 years ago for $65. It was made by Mossburg, I added a slug barrel to it and a decent set of sites, and a sling. It's killed better than two dozen deer I'd say. It's no beauty contest winner, and it shows a little wear and tear from being dragged through the brush and over a few trees. It has never misfired, and has never failed to chamber a round.

I wouldn't take $400 for it.

Top Bottom