• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Did you use Any of the Following tools to Hunt (include if you didn't harvest)?

• Total voters

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    New thread, I screwed up the poll:xmad:

In another thread the Data was brought up that only 7% of the hunters in indiana used Rifle last year, I think this is wrong but it may be how the question was asked.

As you know Statistics are usefull tools and can be manipulated so many way's its not funny.

I don't remember being asked what type of firearm I used when I checked in 3 deer last season. So someone at the check station either didn't care to ask or something, If it was on the checkin paperwork.

I'm going to do a poll here

But you have to remember you can answer a question truthfully and get to oppisite answers Like the next 2 questions

"Did you use a Deer Legal Rifle to harvest a deer" answer yes

"did you use a Deer legal Rifle exclusivly this Deer Seasone" Answer NO

That is why I don't believe that only 7% of people are using Rifles.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    In another thread the Data was brought up that only 7% of the hunters in indiana used Rifle last year, I think this is wrong but it may be how the question was asked.

That is why I don't believe that only 7% of people are using Rifles.

TheDNR deer report data was that rifle hunters accounted for 7% of the registered 2010 deer harvest. It was NOT that only 7% of the Indiana deer hunters used rifles..Big difference....

Personally I use the following:

Indiana - Ruger .44 Mag Carbine and a crossbow

Illinois - Remington 870 slug gun (no PCRs allowed) and a crossbow.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    I have only pretty much used my 500 slug gun and bow to harvest deer for the last 20 years. Bow is my preferred method though. Might have to look into the 450 bushy next year when the new cartridge length kicks in though :)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    i suspect the DNR data is not accurate, but not far off.. the first few years that PCR were allowed there was no slot on the deer check form for rifle.. so the guy just marked shotgun.

I don't remember if the forms had a check box for PCR last year..
    Many firearm season hunters use the same gun they have used for years. so it is going to be sometime before you see a large % of the total hunters using PCR..

I carried a PCR in the field last year, but harvested with a muzzleloader..

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    DNR data is not accurate. Between the flawed forms and check in stations not correctly filling them out there is no way to judge correctly what people are using. I know most of the time they just lump everything under shotgun. I killed a deer a few years ago with a Knight .50 handgun. When I went to check it in the only box that could be checked was shotgun??? By the way everybody I hunt with uses a PCR of some kind.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I use bow and that is my favorite way to deer hunt. I use a slug gun during firearm season and really dont see a reason to go buy a rifle.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    In 2010 in IN I used bow, rifle, handgun, ML.
    I don't doubt the numbers actually. Many deer hunters take the shotgun out they have used for years opening day shoot their deer and are done. Those who like to take their deer guns out and do alot of shooting will make the change to a rifle or those who can get the longer shots will do so, but many deer are taken 100yds and under. How many people who spent the money to get all set up with their scoped rifled slug barrel want to invest in a new rig when they are going to take a 50yd shot at one deer, and call it good.

Last edited:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I just noticed I voted incorrectly!:rolleyes: Instead of the combo, I marked each individually. This data is now skewed!:)

no that is right,

It says to list everything and the other slot is to see how many people use multple,

so everyone who uses 2 items should check the last one

and this is my point

how hard it is to get good data

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    See how our Sample is greatly different than the DNR's, Now you see why I don't think much of the DNR's 7% of hunters are using Rifle, It looks like it could be how the question was presented

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    First point: DNR data is derived from harvest numbers

Second point: The poll is administered on INGUNOWNERS.COM, one could contend the pool of respondents is not a valid sample

Third point: I think PCR's are a great addition to continuing the hunting tradition in Indiana

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i used most everything at one point or another. i used a compound bow durring bow season, a muzzleloader durring firarms season, a 44 lever durring stalks, a shotgun for pushes, i dont like muzzloader for stalking because its to long and a pita in the brush. i used a lever action 44 for stalking because its alot shorter but it has a 10x scope so i can reach out (not as far as the muzzleloader) i use a rem 1100 for deer drives because it has a 1x reddot for moving targets. this year im consolidating to the shotgun and a 358bfg. i didn't have time to get 3 guns sighted in and ready so the shotgun will be my stalk gun.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    I totally agree with the idea that nobody is going to spend a chunk of change on a new gun when they already have doled out to make their current weapon the best it can possibly be. Now if you are talking allowing any rifle with no restrictions, then maybe it would be worth it. Also you are correct that most deer kills in Indiana are 100 yds or less. Would I take a shot further if allowed, sure. Would I if I had the use of a 270, 308. 7mm, 223? Absolutely!!! Muzzle loaders already shoot that far and no one is complaining about it. Kentucky doesn't have rifle problems to speak of. I just think the shotgun rule is dumb! All this "handgun" mini rifle stuff is ludacris as well. With all the complaints about deer vehicle collisions and over browse and starving deer on the golf courses why don't they just open it up and allow rifles and generous bag limits. Heck they could even institute a doe first rule before allowing a buck to be taken. I don't think there are enough hunters to really threaten over hunting anyway. Its to the point now that you really need some money to get into hunting anyway. Licenses have gone up, ammo is up, weapons are up; its all up!

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I use a bow, Marlin 1894 44 mag, and a ML. I hated hunting and shooting my shotgun, so I sold it and used my ML for both gun seasons. Untill PCR's were allowed. Shooting my 44 is a hell of a lot of fun and it's very accurate. Moreso than any shotgun I ever used.

Lightfoot Slim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    My son & I started deer hunting in '05 with muzzle loaders. He killed his first one that year(doe). When PCR law went into effect, we used lever action .45Colts. He killed his first buck,a young 6 point, in '07 with an Uberti '66 sporting rifle.In '10 I killed a young 5 point buck & a young doe within 30 seconds the first Sunday of gun season with a Rossi 92 carbine. Real good eatin'!

Lightfoot Slim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    My son & I started deer hunting in '05 with muzzle loaders. He killed his first one that year(doe). When PCR law went into effect, we used lever action .45Colts. He killed his first buck,a young 6 point, in '07 with an Uberti '66 sporting rifle.In '10 I killed a young 5 point buck & a young doe within 30 seconds the first Sunday of gun season with a Rossi 92 carbine. Real good eatin'!

jajwrigh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    In 2010 in IN I used bow, rifle, handgun, ML.
    I don't doubt the numbers actually. Many deer hunters take the shotgun out they have used for years opening day shoot their deer and are done. Those who like to take their deer guns out and do alot of shooting will make the change to a rifle or those who can get the longer shots will do so, but many deer are taken 100yds and under. How many people who spent the money to get all set up with their scoped rifled slug barrel want to invest in a new rig when they are going to take a 50yd shot at one deer, and call it good.

Do I know you from somewhere? :D

Top Bottom