• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Willie, any other info you can share? i was told that any county with a bonus of 4 plus will have a antlerless only season added from Dec 26 to the 1st Sunday of January. Also that a ground blind (on or within 4' of the ground, including manmade or synthetic material) concealing a hunter, will be required to have at least 144 sq inches of hunter orange visible on all sides. Does that mean if you have a blind built from wood and its stilted above 4' that it's not required?

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    OMG, all these changes! What to buy, gun, bow, crossbow, urban, early season, late season, stamps? Oh, never mind, I got a lifetime comprehensive hunting license when they were available.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    This is a no-brainer for guys like me who buy every license, every year. I'll save right around $50 over what I spent last fall, but I can also see where this will help with hunter recruitment and generate revenue. I think it's great the DNR is simplifying the process and lowering the cost for their best customers; the ones who buy lots of tags. I'm almost as excited about only having to print out one license as I am about the savings! :D

To all you guys whining about this change: You DO realize you can continue to buy licenses exactly as you did last year...right? And as for lowering the cost of a doe tag, c'mon man! If you bought 4 doe tags, you'd be out $69. Does the average cost REALLY have to be less than $17.25 for you to buy them? If you filled all four tags, and process 'em yourself, you're looking at 150-200lbs of venison...for right around $100. Have you looked at the cost of beef, pork and chicken lately?

If you can't see the fact that Indiana is experiencing the "good old days" of whitetailed deer hunting RIGHT NOW, then you need to quit sitting in front of the computer, complaining. Get out there and actually HUNT and you'll see we have it very good, these days. Ask most of the sportsmen in Indiana and you will find that they strongly support what the DNR is doing, lately. This simplification of the deer licensing process is just one more example.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Willie, any other info you can share? i was told that any county with a bonus of 4 plus will have a antlerless only season added from Dec 26 to the 1st Sunday of January.

That is how I understand it. Not too many counties that are not 4 and up are there?

Also that a ground blind (on or within 4' of the ground, including manmade or synthetic material) concealing a hunter, will be required to have at least 144 sq inches of hunter orange visible on all sides. Does that mean if you have a blind built from wood and its stilted above 4' that it's not required?

That is one that got a last second change at the final adoption meeting of the NRC. I don't blind hunt for deer, so I did not pay a whole lot of attention to it.

It states... in the Indiana Register
    Date: Dec 30,2011 9:03:38AM EST DIN: 20111228-IR-312110101FRA Page 4

(t) A ground blind that is:
    (1) Occupied must contain a minimum of one hundred forty-four (144) square inches of material on
    each side that is solid hunter orange and is visible from any direction during:
    (A) a season set forth in section 4(b), 4(e), 4(f), and 4(h) of this rule; and​
    (B) that portion of the archery season set forth in section 4(c) of this rule that overlaps a season set
    forth in section 4(e), 4(f), and 4(h) of this rule.
    (2) Left unoccupied on department property must visibly bear the name and address of the owner
    written in the English language in a conspicuous location on the outside of the blind near the​
    entrance.

Somehow I don't think thatt was the final version even though it is dated December 30, 2011. Let me check...

Last edited:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    This is a no-brainer for guys like me who buy every license, every year. I'll save right around $50 over what I spent last fall, but I can also see where this will help with hunter recruitment and generate revenue. I think it's great the DNR is simplifying the process and lowering the cost for their best customers; the ones who buy lots of tags. I'm almost as excited about only having to print out one license as I am about the savings! :D

To all you guys whining about this change: You DO realize you can continue to buy licenses exactly as you did last year...right? And as for lowering the cost of a doe tag, c'mon man! If you bought 4 doe tags, you'd be out $69. Does the average cost REALLY have to be less than $17.25 for you to buy them? If you filled all four tags, and process 'em yourself, you're looking at 150-200lbs of venison...for right around $100. Have you looked at the cost of beef, pork and chicken lately?

If you can't see the fact that Indiana is experiencing the "good old days" of whitetailed deer hunting RIGHT NOW, then you need to quit sitting in front of the computer, complaining. Get out there and actually HUNT and you'll see we have it very good, these days. Ask most of the sportsmen in Indiana and you will find that they strongly support what the DNR is doing, lately. This simplification of the deer licensing process is just one more example.

Agreed, I really like this idea.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

:yesway: +1

I try to take all the bonus deer I can every year as well as a buck. This last year I took all 5 (for my county) and had to put one on my muzzleloading tag. I see this change as a good thing, especially with a buck license crossing over seasons.

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I like this. It'll allow me more options. I won't have to buy tags I might not get to fill like a buck gun tag. Ill just have a pocket full of tags and not worry about anything.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I like this. It'll allow me more options. I won't have to buy tags I might not get to fill like a buck gun tag. Ill just have a pocket full of tags and not worry about anything.

I had suggested to the DNR to have a "Sportsman's License" that would be like the Lifetime License only on a yearly basis. That suggestion was on the short list that did not make it. I guess this bundle is sort of a "Sportsman's Deer License".

Even if one buys this bundle does not keep them from buying additional bonus tags - if njeeded or wanted.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Willie, any other info you can share? ................ Also that a ground blind (on or within 4' of the ground, including manmade or synthetic material) concealing a hunter, will be required to have at least 144 sq inches of hunter orange visible on all sides. Does that mean if you have a blind built from wood and its stilted above 4' that it's not required?

Here you go selinoid44...

The definition from the version that was posted by the Legislative Services Agency on December 28, 2011.

312 IAC 9-1-7.6 "Ground blind" defined

Authority: IC 14-10-2-4; IC 14-22-2-6

Affected: IC 14-22

Sec. 7.6. "Ground blind" means a structure or visual screen of any type that is located on or within four (4) feet of the ground that includes manmade or synthetic materials and results in concealing a hunter so that the hunter orange worn by the hunter may not be visible from one (1) or more directions.

(Natural Resources Commission; 312 IAC 9-1-7.6; filed Dec 1, 2011, 4:01 p.m.: 20111228-IR-312110101FRA)

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    I like the idea of the package and will very seriously consider buying one. Especially since we plan on adding a crossbow and this will save me from buying a archery, a crossbow, and a gun license. Yeah we have landowner exemption, but I have the opportunity to hunt other properties at times. I think for us it'll be a win-win. Add the very reasonable youth licenses prices currently and it's cheaper than a movie night.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    I had suggested to the DNR to have a "Sportsman's License" that would be like the Lifetime License only on a yearly basis. That suggestion was on the short list that did not make it. I guess this bundle is sort of a "Sportsman's Deer License".

Even if one buys this bundle does not keep them from buying additional bonus tags - if njeeded or wanted.

Willie , with all due respect bud.
    You really should join a outdoor group and sale them on your idea of a '
    "sportsmans liecense" , there is strength in numbers and they can even get support from other groups and sale the DNR on this or any other idea.

its not a short or easy process but it can be achieved . i've been involved in several rules changes etc. and it can take years or months depending on the support and the complex nature , but if you believe it's worth the time and effort than my best advice is join 1 or more group and start the wheels turning.
    If the current leadership in those groups resist than run for office and put yourself in position to be able to make the decisions and surround yourself with folks that believe along the same lines as you and help support your ideas.

1 word of caution , remember if you ever take a leadership role , you should be looking out for the best intrest of the majority of members / people rather than just yourself.

It can be done and if you already have a core group pf folks that feel the same way you already have your start.

one last piece of advice to ALL outdoors man , hunter , fisherman and trappers.
    the threat of you loosing what you like to do is real , although you may not see it first hand , those in leadership positions in your outdoor groups fight and fight bloody battles at times to save our way of lively hood. the ANTIS try all kinds of tricks and deception from stupid save a pet commercials (the money goes to straight the PETA and HSUS check it out if you dont believe me)

even if your not an active member you should join and be counted , it could save you sport.
    they don't get rich off your dues , most of them have just enough money to get by with a little saved back for attorney and legislative fees should they be needed.

Its worth $30 to save this way of life for your children and grand children and many future generations

most all have web site you can find how to join
    here is the name of a few

Indiana State trappers Assoc.
    FUR TAKERS OF AMERICA
    INDIANA DEER HUNTERS
    INDIANA BOW HUNTERS
    INDIANA SPORTSMAN ROUND TABLE (may have to join another group 1st)
    INDIANA BEAGLERS ALLIANCE
    INDIANA HUNTING DOG ASSOC
    QUAIL UNLIMITED
    NATIONAL WILD TURKEY FEDERATION
    DELTA WATERFOWL
    DUCKS UNLIMITED
    INDIANA SPORTSMAN ALLIANCE

Those are just a few i can think of

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Lonnie, you have started what could be another thread in itself. All those that you mention do good work for the hunter. My issue with some of those is once you join it's a never ending "send money now" thing. They are wasting their time asking not only me for money I don't have but also millions of other Americans that don't have it just the same. I can't imagine the trees their cutting down just for the paper they send. I've been a member of several of those and more. I'm sure they fight for us no doubt. I hate to point fingers but one of those duck outfitsreally anoy me. I'm not getting any benefit out of them fixing a dam in southern Louisiana, or making more marsh in Mississippi. I want to be able to use and see my money benefitting my area. All you get from them is a magazine and letters to send them more money. I've been to quite a few banquets, the club I didn't exactly mention above, I went to one of their banquets and it was a drunk fest. The auction stuff was going for 3 to 4000 dollars. Not a good place for us Indiana hicks. I support what I can here locally and do what I can and that has to be enough. Thats all I can afford. No offense to you either. Those kind of places just have gotten me a little bitter.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    whatyoudidthereiseeit.jpg

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Lonnie,

I'm way too long in the tooth to try and start any "club" or become a "leader" in any already established "club".

I cant speak for all the groups that you mentioned but I do recognize a few as being only out for themselves and their own personal agendas. A couple are very top driven and what is stated to the DNR and NRC that the club wants is only just what the heirarchy wants.

I became active in the rules process in 2002 after the deer hunters in this state were blindsided by the OBR that was pushed through by two such groups.

Sorry, but I personally feel I am much more effective in stating my own opinion, backed with facts of course, than belonging to and supporting a group that the leaders just push their own agendas..

Recently the DNR and NRC has started listening more and more to the Average Joe Hunters and reaizing that these organized groups only represent their very limited membership and not all of them.

I'll just continue to give my input and ask my forum members to do the same, no matter which side of an issue that they stand on.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    So where is someone suppose to get a ground blind with the new hunters orange all over it. All the ones I see are camouflaged.

I've got a couple blinds that has flaps that raise up to expose a patch of hunter orange. I'm guessing these are about 5" square. Not enough to be legal though.

I'm guess in we will need to add some on it.

Best way I see to do that is to use a 12" X 12" swatch of hunter orange and use a spray adhesive to glue it on the blind on each side. Beats having momma stitch it in.. ;)

millfire517

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Grant County, IN
    I've got a couple blinds that has flaps that raise up to expose a patch of hunter orange. I'm guessing these are about 5" square. Not enough to be legal though.

I'm guess in we will need to add some on it.

Best way I see to do that is to use a 12" X 12" swatch of hunter orange and use a spray adhesive to glue it on the blind on each side. Beats having momma stitch it in.. ;)

I figure That's what I will have to do since nobody makes a legal hunting blind that I can find now:(

Top Bottom