• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    do you think people are poaching deer because of the economy??? Meat prices are so high and all you have to do is go out for a day and sit there. My buddy went to northern michigan last week and only saw a few deer...he usually sees 20 or more per day... he said that the economies in the small towns up there is so bad, he thinks thats what they are doing...

Mini-14

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    New Palestine,In
    do you think people are poaching deer because of the economy??? Meat prices are so high and all you have to do is go out for a day and sit there. My buddy went to northern michigan last week and only saw a few deer...he usually sees 20 or more per day... he said that the economies in the small towns up there is so bad, he thinks thats what they are doing...

Poaching happens no matter what condition the economy is in.

Cornbread

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Indianapolis

With the season in full swing you will see a lot less deer now. They go almost totaly nocturnal. Poaching go on all year I don't think the economy would have anything to make poaching up high enought to make a big difference. Just my thinking.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    this time of deer we hardly ever see deer out while hunting but we can go out at night with a spotlight and see them everywhere. i think the main two erasons people havent been seeing the amount they usually do is because the weather and so many places still have corn out, usually this time of year its cold and all the fields are harvested so the deer dont have as many places to hide, but i suppose the economy could have a small impact on poaching but i wouldnt think so

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Nope, economy has NOTHING to do with poaching.

Idiots abound regardless of the economy!

If more people would "Turn In a Poacher" to the IDNR Tip-line, maybe we could cut down on it though.

You CAN get a reward (cash) for turning in a poacher, and I encourage EVERYONE with information to contact their local IDNR office.

A conviction for poaching CAN result in the loss of your guns, your vehicle, and even your house under certain circumstances, not to mention, that a weapons violation WILL invalidate your LTCH.

Not even NEAR worth it in my opinion.

I can barely eat all I shoot, and or put in the freezer through my county's "road-kill" list, and all LEGALLY!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    ive found 2 poached bucks so far this year. both laid on the side of the road with there racks cut off and all the meat was unused. so i know the economy had nothing to do with it.

i tried the indr tip line on poth and didn't get a response but i also had no clue who had done it so it would be impossible to get a conviction

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Yeah, I've also seen people shoot and leave deer lay found one 60 yds from one guys stand this year in the open and 6 yrs ago a little doe was about 80 yds across a bean field from another idiots stand. some people just shoot to kill.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    ive found 2 poached bucks so far this year. both laid on the side of the road with there racks cut off and all the meat was unused.
    That sounds more like sombody taking the rack off of a couple road kills.

poaching will always be a problem as long there are people with no regard for the wildlife laws.
    Mgderfs right--turn them in but be prepared to appear as a material witness---my brothers and I used to hunt deer in Brown Co. back in the 70's to early 80's(when there wern't many deer) and we suspected some poaching going on due to hearing rifle shots and finding a couple of dead deer in Oct. prior to gun season. we decided to see if we could catch them so went down several times after season when snow was on the ground and after two years finally found a drag in the snow we could follow and it led to a local house---called Co's who searched and charged the guys. We had to testify in court and it turned out they were selling the meat in Columbus. I have no idea how many deer were killed illegally but our hunting improved over the next couple of years.

Steve

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I have shot deer out of season before. I shot them to feed my family so I did not have to buy meat in the store therefore we had money to buy other things we needed.
    Times have changed and I do not have to do that anymore but if I needed to I would as most everyone would. I would NOT ever turn anyone in for doing what I did, in fact I would help them drag it out if they needed it. On the other hand if I ever saw someone shoot a buck or doe and not use the meat I will and have turned them in. Nothing pisses me off more than a rack hunter that wastes the meat legal kill or not.

My grandfather was a game warden for 30 years I got my values and views on this subject from him.

joshennis84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    I don't coon hunt myself, but I have a lot of friends and family who do so I do not agree with it ever. Even if you are starving. What happens when you miss and there is a coon hunter at the edge of the woods that you don't see. Just a thought for the last post.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    ive found 2 poached bucks so far this year. both laid on the side of the road with there racks cut off and all the meat was unused. so i know the economy had nothing to do with it.

i tried the indr tip line on poth and didn't get a response but i also had no clue who had done it so it would be impossible to get a conviction

That's not really much of a poaching indicator any more. I think people find less than half the deer they kill and if some one runs across a dead one with any rack at all I garantee 9/10 will cut the rack off it. A lot of what they do kill and even find they take it back and dump what ever the dogs won't eat beside the road or where ever they park to hunt.

Most of the poaching was all over before gun season even started, I'd bet a quarter of every thing poached in a season is done in the 24 hours before gun season opens and midnight of opening day.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield

Steve

No Offense Steve, I know Vette Personally, I guarantee he knows the difference between these two deer:

shed1.jpg

deer1.jpg

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    No Offense Steve

No offense taken---I've just seen deer along the road that were road kills that had their antlers removed---I've also walked up on 2 dead bucks that apparently were wounded and not recovered while bird hunting and went back and cut the racks off. just not enough information in the original post.

Steve

257robertsimp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Economy has nothing to do with it. These guys (poachers) are not willing to put in the effort it takes to get a shot at a mature animal, so they take shortcuts.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Poaching has always been a problem. Some people are lazy. You can shoot tons of deer in season

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

poaching will always be a problem as long there are people with no regard for the wildlife laws.
    Mgderfs right--turn them in but be prepared to appear as a material witness---my brothers and I used to hunt deer in Brown Co. back in the 70's to early 80's(when there wern't many deer) and we suspected some poaching going on due to hearing rifle shots and finding a couple of dead deer in Oct. prior to gun season. we decided to see if we could catch them so went down several times after season when snow was on the ground and after two years finally found a drag in the snow we could follow and it led to a local house---called Co's who searched and charged the guys. We had to testify in court and it turned out they were selling the meat in Columbus. I have no idea how many deer were killed illegally but our hunting improved over the next couple of years.

Steve

That's not really much of a poaching indicator any more. I think people find less than half the deer they kill and if some one runs across a dead one with any rack at all I garantee 9/10 will cut the rack off it. A lot of what they do kill and even find they take it back and dump what ever the dogs won't eat beside the road or where ever they park to hunt.

Most of the poaching was all over before gun season even started, I'd bet a quarter of every thing poached in a season is done in the 24 hours before gun season opens and midnight of opening day.

im glad somone drug this thread up. somehow i missed it. one buck in question was defintally poached. i found it in bow season with a bullet hole in its chest. the bullet when in dead center of its cheast and exited on the right hit. i had spotlighted the buck at 11pm in a field and drove off. at 8 am i found him on the side of the road by the same field.

the other i a few days before shotgun. im not sure what deer the 2nd buck was, but i know it wasn't there the evening before because i would have seen it. it had a bullet hole in the neck and was 10 yards off the edge of the road. both were defintally poached

Top Bottom