• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I read that article earlier today. Unbelievable that governments are spending that much money to control something that could be solved for free with a limited season on those deer.

buckhunter21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Southeast Indiana
    I got the chance to listen to Charlie Alsheimer review of this type of control of deer population and it actually causes a great deal of stress on bucks. Long explanation short, once the rut hits the bucks spend a great deal of energy searching and fighting for "hot" does. Once all the does are bred usually the rut comes to end with a few exceptions of does who aren't bred and come back into heat. Well what Mr. Alsheimer explained was that the does that have been sterilized keep coming back into heat, causing the bucks to think other does have done the same! So when a doe comes into heat in late Dec. and Jan., the bucks continued to search for more and fight other bucks who came close to him and the doe. Well, when she isn't bred in Dec and Jan., the doe comes back into heat in the spring and then you have bucks boxing due to the casting of their antlers. Enough bucks die every year from stress just based off the normal rut......something like this honestly could kill a lot of other bucks.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    I got the chance to listen to Charlie Alsheimer review of this type of control of deer population and it actually causes a great deal of stress on bucks. Long explanation short, once the rut hits the bucks spend a great deal of energy searching and fighting for "hot" does. Once all the does are bred usually the rut comes to end with a few exceptions of does who aren't bred and come back into heat. Well what Mr. Alsheimer explained was that the does that have been sterilized keep coming back into heat, causing the bucks to think other does have done the same! So when a doe comes into heat in late Dec. and Jan., the bucks continued to search for more and fight other bucks who came close to him and the doe. Well, when she isn't bred in Dec and Jan., the doe comes back into heat in the spring and then you have bucks boxing due to the casting of their antlers. Enough bucks die every year from stress just based off the normal rut......something like this honestly could kill a lot of other bucks.

This is a little confusing to me? I am not a biologist and never professed to be but how can something come into "heat" with no ovaries?

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Bloomington's city counsel has been "wrestling with the problem" for about a decade now. Sterilization costs too much, and PETA's recommendation of "habitat modification" is a meaningless line of rhetoric that poses no solution. The only affordable solution is to request the IDNR set up an urban deer zone. Archers pay to take care of their problem. Problem solved - expense becomes a money maker and lowers taxes. The proverbial win-win. Why not? Because it's inhumane? Please.

"DeNicola, who has more than two decades of experience in wildlife ecology, told FoxNews.com that the goal in Cayuga Heights is to sterilize virtually every female deer in the area, a process that could take up to three years"

And what's wrong with that statement? The average doe's breeding life is three to four years. That means you'll be doing this every year forever - a permanent tax. And, an unnecessary one.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    This is a little confusing to me? I am not a biologist and never professed to be but how can something come into "heat" with no ovaries?

Couldn't have been a discussion about surgical removal of ovaries, had to be some sort of darting with female contraceptives...like "the pill" for does. He's right about them coming back into heat on the next 28-day cycle - have to dart them again. Darting is not a serious contraceptive solution. Neither is removing ovaries due to the cost and breeding life of a doe.

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    this is exactly the response i would expect in this day and age. a simple problem leading to the most stupid and about the only way to loose money fixing it. this is what is wrong with america

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    "REMOVE THEIR OVARIES"?

Oh my!

That is going to make them go through menopause early. I feel sorry for the bucks when there is a bunch of hot flashing menopausle does running around.

Top Bottom