Deer processing...how do you deal with the...sensitive areas...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    lizton/brownsburg
    I hunt because I enjoy the hunt and to put meat in the freezer
    I prefer to save as much money as I can in the process, so I use this method to process my own deer (video series i found on youtube)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Muiut9dso

This guy is showing the processing...process with a doe....how do you deal with the sensitive areas of a buck?
    This is more a question of how to skin the buck and deal with his area without making a mess of the meat.
    I don't want to get buck urine all over the place, so I have come to the forum for help.
    A note, just like this video series, i leave the guts inside and hang the deer in a nearby try and butcher the deer on the spot.
    Anyone have any pictures/videos/step by steps/ etc?

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    When I open the body cavity of a deer buck or doe, I spread my hand out to hold everything up or if I have help have them do it until I'm at the rib cage. I just let everything including the bladder fall into the wheelbarrow. Hanging them upside down from a tree in the woods or using a front loader which is what I do now works well.

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    lizton/brownsburg
    i should redirect this a bit...the question isn't requarding dressing...its more related to skinning and bringing back the skin around the sensitive areas without making a mess on the meat
    the method of field processing that I do, i don't field dress and pull out the guts. I hang them upside down and leave the guts in there like the video i posted shows.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I watched the series to #5 you do realize he is doing that all right after the kill. If you leave the guts in there and haul it home you are creating a bad situation all of the entrails will start to cause the meat to take on a bad flavor. If you don't let the carcass cool it can also cause the flavor of the meat to change. The hair on the meat is easily cured by taking a propane torch and waving over the carcass the deer hair will just pop and be gone. Good luck with that method I have killed many deer and have field dressed all of them I have never seen the method that Steve Jarvis is using.

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    lizton/brownsburg
    I watched the series to #5 you do realize he is doing that all right after the kill. If you leave the guts in there and haul it home you are creating a bad situation all of the entrails will start to cause the meat to take on a bad flavor. If you don't let the carcass cool it can also cause the flavor of the meat to change. The hair on the meat is easily cured by taking a propane torch and waving over the carcass the deer hair will just pop and be gone. Good luck with that method I have killed many deer and have field dressed all of them I have never seen the method that Steve Jarvis is using.

i do
    i hunt on private property with a battle buddy
    we string them up in the barn a couple hundred yards away once they die and get loaded into the truck
    we move pretty quick and don't take any meat with blood on it

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    i do
    i hunt on private property with a battle buddy
    we string them up in the barn a couple hundred yards away once they die and get loaded into the truck
    we move pretty quick and don't take any meat with blood on it

The 3rd video should help you with what your question was. It should show how to cut around the genitals of a buck you just won't pull anything out. Interesting would not have been possible a few years ago but with electronic check in I guess that changed the game.
    Good luck and shoot straight.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Hmmm. I've heard of the gutless method but never considered it. Field dressing deer has never been something I've ever minded doing. Makes deer a lot easier to load/drag when they're 40 lbs lighter

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    It really is not that difficult to field dress a buck and not cut any of his "plumbing". The "plumbing" runs from his manhood, under the skin, and back to the opening in his pelvis where his anus is located. Basically once you cut his belly open to expose the stomach and intestines, you simply skin his manhood and the boys away from his body. Then you follow the plumbing back to his anus area. The plumbing detaches from his body pretty easily. Then you cut out the anus area, being careful not to cut the "plumbing". Once you detach all of the chest cavity stuff and flip him on his side, everything just kind of dumps out of his belly opening. Then you can pull his manhood and the boys back through the anus opening because the plumbing is all intact. Basically his manhood and the boys pull into the anus area and then appear inside his body cavity and dump on the ground with all of the intestines. Nothing is ever cut and no meat is exposed to any urine or feces.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Pretty much what DEC said except that I "release" the anus by cutting around it, and pull the colon and anus back out through the large abdominal cut, rather than pulling any reproductive or abdominal organs through the anus. Just seems easier to me, and more compatible with the method you are using. But either way works.

IMO, you really need to field dress (remove internal organs) ASAP and before you start skinning. Any bacteria you inadvertently get on the body can be rinsed before you go to the next step of handling more meat. It's just common sense to reduce the bacterial transmission. It would also be a real bummer to go through the skinning and butchering process and THEN look at the guts and find out the deer organs look abnormal. I'm anxious to look at the internal organs right away to assess the deer's health.

Further, the composition of the bacteria starts to change immediately after death. How much time you have (ie how long can the body lie unattended before you start field dressing) is clearly debatable and dependent upon conditions. But it is illogical to allow the gut bacteria more time to penetrate tissue instead of removing them first.

If you really want to use this method, I would still get some practice with the usual (field dress first) method first. He's removing the loins and trusting his ability not to puncture any gut tissue. You need to understand anatomy and butchering to do that successfully or to even know if you have penetrated tissue that shouldn't contaminate your meat.

Wild game is so much fresher and safer than what you buy at the grocery store, but no point in reducing that benefit.

Top Bottom