• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyg19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    I am a new hunter and I have a question about getting the deer I hope to get in a few weeks processed. I am wondering if anyone here has any recommendations for a place where i can take a deer on the south side or near downtown Indy. Most of the places i look online seem to only tell me to do it myself. Unfortunately for this season, i am an apartment dweller. This means i have to pay to have it done for me.
    Also, do i just field dress it and bring it in? Do i need to do any other prep with the deer before i take it in? Thanks.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Most places will skin the deer for you. This means that yes, all you need to do to the carcass is field dress. Up north, its $10 or $15 extra if the hide is on. Others may disagree, but consider it money well spent.

You may already know this, but as a friendly heads up, be sure to take the carcass to a check-in station before the deer processor. A deer processor does not want to have one without the steel tag you will get at the check-in station. Also, before you take it to the check-in station, do not sabotage the head or antlers. They want to determine the sex of the deer, and you will have already removed any other identify marks, if you get my drift. :): Antlers can be removed after its checked in.

Best of luck to you this season.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Also, do i just field dress it and bring it in? Do i need to do any other prep with the deer before i take it in? Thanks.
    You would field dress it before you drag it out of the woods. This eliminates quite a bit of weight and needs to be done quickly anyway. Buy a couple pair of shoulder length rubber gloves. These are $1 a pair and worth much more, when gutting a deer. That is all you need before taking to a check station (listed in the Indiana Hunting Booklet.) Then take it to be processed.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    We have used Archers for years (North and South loactions). Best plan is to go talk to them before the hunt, ask some questions about cut and wrap options, get some level of comfort.

We have used them for whitetail, hog and steers, always had great quality! Good luck!

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I've used them to process deer, cut and wrap, sausage. With the steer and pig, cut, wrap, smoke the hams and bacon. They will wrap the burger in any size you want, 1#, 2#, 5#, wrap the steaks or chops however you like, sausage in bulk, link, whatever. Most shops (Archers included) have a cut sheet, and you can buy a whole or partial steer or hog right from them, get it cut, wrapped, frozen, ready for the freezer. !

Great quality!

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    Not a Deer hunter so this is a newbie question I know.

What do the butchers do with the skin? Do they keep them and sell them for tanning? Can you get the skins back yourself and have them tanned?

Anyone know what this would cost? To buy them from the butchers and have them tanned?

I am curious because my father does leather work and I was wondering how much it would cost to get a couple of nice skins this way. I can always get some from Tandy Leather but thought this my be a better alternative.

I want to have him make me some gun socks/cases and thought deer skin would be nice.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Quig....Most of them have a buyer but I's sure if you told them what you wanted the hide for they'd give it to you. Or if you know someone having a deer processed they can get you a hide. There will be plenty available.

Top Bottom