• kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    In new guns I'd look at 243, 7mm-08 or perhaps the 260 Rem. In used I'd add 257 Roberts and 250 Savage. 243 would probably be the most available/ cheapest ammo. The 30-30 is a better gun than many give it credit for esp. w/ the Leverevolution ammo. Just a thought.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    So we're up to five pages, have you narrowed down the field of rifles or calibers?

pricedo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Life Member NRA & GOA
    Jeremy, I don't know. Price didn't really factor into it, but I'm not getting him a Heym.:D More concerned with an optimal choice than a price point. However, I'm still not getting him a Heym.:D

Westley Richards must make some cheap starter guns for kids.:D

I think that's where Prince Charles got his first gun..........a cheap knock about .410 double that was on sale for 15,000 or so pounds sterling.

yroy27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    I live out west. My boy was 13 when I took him on his first deer hunt. Out here you need a rifle that will shoot min 200 yards. A friend of mine told me about the Benelli R1. He has a 7mm ultra mag and he bought one for his 12 year old. My boy shot it and it didn't kick any worse than a 410 with 3 inch mag. I only wanted to spend money on a gun once and have something that would last a life time. I bought him a R1 300 win. mag. He shot it off a rest with full factory loads 150 grain. He didn't complain at all. I have a 300 mag bolt action it kicks like a mule. But i am big and I wear a shoulder pad. I did put a shoulder pad on him. The R1 with a shoulder pad is very mild about like a 270. The gun was a lot of money but it performed as advertised very pleased. We didn't see a deer. Did get a sore butt after 8 hours in a saddle.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Maybe this thread should be closed. It seems to only be open for beginners to boost post count. The kid must be 13 by now...

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    No, he'll be 13 in June of 2011.:D

I bought the 527 and now I need an optic.

What cartridge is it chambered in?

I've never had the specific Monarch you posted in the optic thread, but I do have a larger variable. They are solid, good glass, and the one you were looking at avoids the bulkiness of the others. A bit heavy for a hunting rifle, but you could do a whole lot worse and not a lot better given your wants.

Top Bottom