• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    What kind of money are you looking to spend? Can you hunt with 5.56 there? If so, why not an AR as it has an adjustable stock and could grow with him (physically and technically) as he gets older.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Jeremy, I don't know. Price didn't really factor into it, but I'm not getting him a Heym.:D More concerned with an optimal choice than a price point. However, I'm still not getting him a Heym.:D

I believe you can hunt (deer) with a .223 there (when I was young it was .23 or bigger, but now the regs just say centerfire), but the deer there are big like here. Not certain if .223 is an optimal choice.

If so, why not an AR as it has an adjustable stock and could grow with him (physically and technically) as he gets older

Self-loaders are a no-no in Pennsylvania (unless you have lost an arm and my nephew has both).

You could convert your AR to a single shot and be legal in PA but his father and I prefer the bolt-action weapon.

Last edited:

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Jeremy, I don't know. Price didn't really factor into it, but I'm not getting him a Heym.:D More concerned with an optimal choice than a price point. However, I'm still not getting him a Heym.:D

I believe you can hunt (deer) with a .223 there (when I was young it was .23 or bigger, but now the regs just say centerfire), but the deer there are big like here. Not certain if .223 is an optimal choice.

Self-loaders are a no-no in Pennsylvania (unless you have lost an arm and my nephew has both).

You could convert your AR to a single shot and be legal in PA but his father and I prefer the bolt-action weapon.

Then I would suggest a Ruger M77 or Remington 700 in .243 Win. The recoil will be manageable and the round will be potent for dear. It is a very good caliber that does not get enough attention. Also, Remington make a "youth" model Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 SPS - Remington Centerfire Rifles

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I shot a few deer with the .243 in PA as a kid also. Its a fine choice. Have you looked at the Remington Model 7 yet? Its a little smaller and lighter than the Model 700 and might fit a 12 year old better.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Get him a heavy barreled New England Arms single shot with a scope. hit a coke can at 100 yards consistently with them. Priced right as well.Muzzleloaders are also a good choice. thats all I use during gun season.

PaPa 260

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    Your first choice of the CZ was a very good one. Chambered in 7.62 X 39 it is a decent deer killer out to 150 yards. My gun smith built one for a friend of mine's wife. She uses it every year in KY for deer with good success. She is small of build and the rifle fits her perfectly. It is easily sub 1 MOA at 100 yards.

PaPa 260

tem375

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    I have a very nice rem 700 in 6mm, it was my first firearm, my grandfather got it for me when I was 8. I love it, and it have always shot well, unfourtunately we never got to go on an out of state hunting trip together and it has never taken a deer. All around great caliber for hunting deer, however .243 and is balistically similar(??) and is easier to come by in the stores(in this area at least) so I would probably be leaning that way.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I agree that I have yet to see a .410 that was very accurate.
    I have never heard the law about a front and rear sight for a shotgun to hunt deer. Guess I need to brush up on my laws, although that would be a good one actually.
    Paperboy has a good suggestion, the Handirifle in a .357 (or a 44 mag that you could shoot 44 special in as well). Not the best heirloom gun though. A 357 or 44 nice winchester lever gun woulf be a good heirloom gun. Then again, the blackpowder gun would teach disapline to make the first shot count. Encore would be one to consider as well making it a very versatile gun.
    Good luck

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Savage makes a really nice combo in .243, complete with scope and their Accutrigger, for a decent price. In our store, they are about $600. Liable to be able to find them a little cheaper with some shopping.

The scope is adequate, the rifles are very accurate, and I cannot sing the praises of the Accutrigger highly enough. Just another option to consider.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Savage makes a really nice combo in .243, complete with scope and their Accutrigger, for a decent price. In our store, they are about $600. Liable to be able to find them a little cheaper with some shopping.

The scope is adequate, the rifles are very accurate, and I cannot sing the praises of the Accutrigger highly enough. Just another option to consider.

+1

Best rifle for the money. I've had really good experience with Savage rifles, my .223 is a sub-moa gun with factory ammo. My buddies have a 25/06 and .270, both are excellent shooters. I'd look into a .243 or 7mm/08 for a kid.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I was thinking that a 7mm-08 would be an even stronger choice than .243 or 6mm Rem. 7mm bullets have really high BCs, fly like a laser, and the 7-08 has low recoil and you can make the brass from .308.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Single-shot handi rifle in 7mm 08. Inexpensive, low recoil, more forgiving of less than perfect placement than the 243, and the single shot teaches him to make the first shot count.

Every boy's first rifle should be a single shot.

Here's a link to one with a scope:

YOUTH H&R HANDY RIFLE COMBO

Igotgills2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Fort Fun
    My 2 cents-- .357 carbine. I bought a .44 ruger last year and have no intentions of changing. Reloading to maximize for the rifle vs. pistol is recommended.

Top Bottom