• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Status report: Matt came over from PA and the family stopped at the Cabela's in West Virginia. They had a Howa and it fit her, but with a A/H ratio far over 1 I knew that wouldn't be a problem. Maybe I can take her to Dallas for NRAAM?:D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ordered Howa M1500 Mini-Action in 6.5 Grendel today. I hope she sends me photos.:D

Howa_MiniAction_OD_Green_High_Res-1024x350.png

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Ordered Howa M1500 Mini-Action in 6.5 Grendel today. I hope she sends me photos.:D

Howa_MiniAction_OD_Green_High_Res-1024x350.png

I was thoroughly impressed with my Howa 1500.
    Mine is in .204 Ruger, but it is a sweet rifle.
    Great balance, smooth bolt-action, and a fantastic rigger right out of the box.
    The Nikko-Sterling scope that came in the combo didn't hurt my feelings either.

If she does send pics, you know we'll demand they be posted here.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Have you considered the CW (3 point, 2 point) sling for it?

Honestly no I haven't but I will take a look, always open to new ideas. I'm not exactly a sling expert, but I've tried a few different styles. The reason I like the Browning X-Cellerator (shown in my picture above) is because it's simple and rugged, and adjusts very quickly from carrying over the shoulder to shooting, and to different weights of hunting clothing, etc.

For deer hunting I'm either walking back and forth from the stand or I'm in the stand. In all the years I've been hunting, I've only taken 4 deer off the ground. Last year when I was hunting up in Wisconsin, I was actually sitting on the ground on a hillside and I made a little place to sit in a thicket of briars. With the sun to my back it provided great cammo, had several deer come wthin 30 yards of me, and the one I shot was taken from a sitting position resting my arms on my legs.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Number 5, aka "Little Girl", will be 13 next March, might as well start shopping now.

Brothers have CZ527s, a Mauser, a Robar .308 (that was Uncle Kirk's), and a Marline 336 underlever.

She is lanky like her mother, tall and thin. Her ATH ratio is 1.11 so LOP is not such a concern for a bolt gun.:D

Have heard good things about Howa for the dough. Maybe 6.5CM in the Alpine config?

I am open to anything, but we have family bias to bolt guns (excepting Elijah who loves underlevers for some reason). Has to be a manual at .23 or larger for PA game laws.

Rifle and optic recs (we favor short tubed fixed powers)?

Believe I've never encountered a "Robar" rifle, something new on the market?

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I've been using a 44 single shot rifle for several years. It's much lighter and easier to keep steady than the 12 ga shotgun I was using before, plus very little recoil. I use the Hornady ammo, and ever deer I have shot has dropped within a few yards. I think Ruger makes a bolt action 44 if she doesn't want a single shot.

madvarminter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2015
    franklin
    saw great deal on barreld actions Howa in 6.5 grendel ( i know its an AR caliber but low recoil and plenty for deer) boyds makes adjustable stocks for it 280.00 for the barreled action 150 for the stock brownells has them

DustyMck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Borden
    I don't know how prevalent it is but I was a very small framed 13 year old and I hunted with a 44 magnum lever gun and it never bugged me to bad now I hunt with an SKS and I would highly recommend it for an all purpose teen gun had fun with it then and now.

Jaygentry

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2018
    Noblesville
    You can never go wrong with a .243. It is what I started all 4 of my kids on. And the ammo is cheap enough to be able to spend lots of time at the range getting it dialed in.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom