Deer season will be a little different this year.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    Ok everything is coming together with this Handi and should be ready come deer season. I picked it up last year before deer season and killed a few with it in the .357mag configuration and was ok with it at shorter distances. I rented the Max reamer from here and traded for some brass on here. I picked up 3 boxes of the 185grn Hornady SSP bullets found at an out of the way gun shop. 1680 and dies I already had, I guess I will send my bullet seater in to have it modified for a pointed bullet. I got the barrel back from my wife's uncle yesterday where he cut it down to 16.2". So everything is coming together pretty nicely and should have no problem having a load worked up for deer season. I may change the scope on it and possibly go to a Vortex SPARC with a doubler on it or a 1-4 power. I don't like the 3x9 on it now and prefer lower power for just about everything I see my self doing with this rifle.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    It is reamed to .357Max now. The advantage of the shorter barrel will be obviously less weight a a better balanced rifle. But also the interwebs say that the powder is burnt with in the first 12 inches of the barrel and any added lenght does nothing for accuracy or speed and some even claim that it slows the bullet down. I do not know if any of this is true YET but I have various loads that I shot across the chronograph before the barrel chop. I will try them again soon to see for myself. .357 Maximum is legal for deer in IN. that is the reason for the reaming. I have been impressed so far.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I like it! Well done. I'd say the other advantage to a short barrel is maneuverability. If you've ever hiked through thick woods and brush, a shorter rifle is a huge advantage. Humping a 28" shotgun < Humping a 16" a Handi Rifle.

Bravo-4-2

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    .....the interwebs say that the powder is burnt with in the first 12 inches of the barrel and any added lenght does nothing for accuracy or speed and some even claim that it slows the bullet down......

Don't believe everything you read on the Net. The above is nonsense.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    That is going to be a sweet setup. I used 357 max in 14 inch contender barrel with SSP bullets and they were accurate. Do remember they are more for "silly wet" shooting and not truly big game bullets. Expansion is not going to be a big factor but they should and do punch right through a deer well.

You will have 35 rem ballistics in that package.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I would definitely go with a 1-4 over a Sparc with a doubler on it. The 2x magnifiers that came with the sparc were free so you mise well take them, but they were worth exactly what you paid for them. I don't know of anyone who liked running it with the screw in magnifier, but Im sure there was someone.

The new Sparcs and Strikefires don't even come with them anymore.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    Don't believe everything you read on the Net. The above is nonsense.
    This us why I want to check it for myself so I will know for sure. I don't believe the ones who say it does make a difference as well as the ones who say it is nonsense.

Interesting. After doing a little digging I found this site. The Great .357 Remington Maximum Revival I suppose you have seen it but thought I would post just in case you hadn't.
    I have seen this lots of good info.
    if you hand load you can use powders that make use of all the barrel.
    I do handload so if nothing else it will be a time waster.

I would definitely go with a 1-4 over a Sparc with a doubler on it. The 2x magnifiers that came with the sparc were free so you mise well take them, but they were worth exactly what you paid for them. I don't know of anyone who liked running it with the screw in magnifier, but Im sure there was someone.

The new Sparcs and Strikefires don't even come with them anymore.
    I like shooting with my doubled at least shooting paper. Works great for shooting AQTs too. Probably won't be great for hunting though but I may give it a try who knows.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    On short bbls.....

I have a 16.25" bbl on my .35 Rem and wish it was a 20".
    It was nice n light, and balance sucked. I had to add about 8 oz of weight inside the fore end to make it easier to shoot offhand (it helped).

Have no intentions of putting a can on my deer rig, so for me longer would be better.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Sounds like an interesting rig, shorter equipment is always useful in a tree. I'll be interested in how it works out for you.:)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I like shooting with my doubled at least shooting paper. Works great for shooting AQTs too. Probably won't be great for hunting though but I may give it a try who knows.

I think you will like a scope on 2x much more than a Sparc on 2x. To me if you to run a red dot, use a red dot, if you want to use a magnified optic, use a magnified optic. Ive never had success running a magnified red dot, but if everyone was the same then we would only have 1 option on the market.

sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    It is reamed to .357Max now. The advantage of the shorter barrel will be obviously less weight a a better balanced rifle. But also the interwebs say that the powder is burnt with in the first 12 inches of the barrel and any added lenght does nothing for accuracy or speed and some even claim that it slows the bullet down. I do not know if any of this is true YET but I have various loads that I shot across the chronograph before the barrel chop. I will try them again soon to see for myself. .357 Maximum is legal for deer in IN. that is the reason for the reaming. I have been impressed so far.
    Hmm...and I always thought that flash that comes out the end of the barrel was high pressure gas still accelerating the bullet through the barrell!! Who'd have ever thought the bullet starts slowing down in the middle of the barrel. It's amazing the things I learn on the internet!

:lol2:

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I have been running a 357 max setup for about 3-4 years now. I have a TC Pro Hunter with TC Custom Shop barrel. It's an awesome set up. Highly recommend!

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Hmm...and I always thought that flash that comes out the end of the barrel was high pressure gas still accelerating the bullet through the barrell!! Who'd have ever thought the bullet starts slowing down in the middle of the barrel. It's amazing the things I learn on the internet!

:lol2:

The bullet is under resistance from the barrel; there is a pressure level at which the net effect would be a bullet slowing down before exit. This is a proven fact with extra long .22LR barrels. I doubt there is any significant slowdown with any .357 Maximum load, especially in reasonably short barrels. But with handloading you can easily make use of longer barrels using slower-burning powders.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I like short barreled rifles for what we can use here in Indiana. Stiffer and better harmonics easier to carry and easier for me to get on target quick. Plus those Handi rifles are not what I would call light weight. That rifle looks like Tom Thumb and most
    likely kills like a hammer of Thor.

Top Bottom