• ...and so much more!
  • sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I finally got out for the first time this season this morning. Was able to test out my new Grim Reaper Carni-Four heads. Shot a nice doe. When I got home I cut out the inner loins and my wife grilled then for dinner! The heads did an awesome job. I have shot the original Razortip heads since 2002 when I shot a black bear in Ontario. This year I wanted to try these new ones. When testing them before season they were spot on from 20 to 60 yds.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I got out opening day. Got busted 3 times. Guess I was kinda mailing it in on scent control and wind. I know better. Decided to skip Sunday to let things calm down. I'm going to be a little picky this year as I have a full freezer and not much time to hunt. I'm mainly checking doe numbers for now. Things don't heat up with bucks until the rut at my place. I spend a lot of time in my woods and my neighbor doesn't. A lot more pressure on my side of the fence.

That's not to say I will able to resist a nice fat doe at 20 yards. :):

Good luck everybody!!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I am not hunting for 2 weeks.
    Can't shoot my bow for a while.
    Worked on fence today, arm is in protest (doesn't hurt- but doesn't work for some reason).
    So I'm gonna see if it wakes up and maybe shoot a bit next weekend.
    Figure I gotta be ready by the 21st. Should start picking up then.
    Did check our spot..........think more deer are on the moon, than in our thicket.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I got one tonight! A nice doe. I was more patient this time and watched 5 does for about 30 minutes before they came into range for me to shot. I watched them for about 20 minutes at 80 yards eating acorns. They loop out around me and stay around 60- 80 yards out. As they got directly to my right I thought they were going to cross a small ravine and head to the woods across the road, it was at that time they made a turn and walked right to my stand. I shot with her about 10 yards from my stand. She ran about 50 yards and then stopped and stood there for a few seconds, then took off for another 25 yards and fell to the ground. When field dressing I could see I hit her lungs. Glad to have one under my belt and am ready for my first buck now.

This is where I found her laying. The shot was not as far back as it appears in this photo, this is the exit hole side also.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I got one tonight! A nice doe. I was more patient this time and watched 5 does for about 30 minutes before they came into range for me to shot. I watched them for about 20 minutes at 80 yards eating acorns. They loop out around me and stay around 60- 80 yards out. As they got directly to my right I thought they were going to cross a small ravine and head to the woods across the road, it was at that time they made a turn and walked right to my stand. I shot with her about 10 yards from my stand. She ran about 50 yards and then stopped and stood there for a few seconds, then took off for another 25 yards and fell to the ground. When field dressing I could see I hit her lungs. Glad to have one under my belt and am ready for my first buck now.

This is where I found her laying. The shot was not as far back as it appears in this photo, this is the exit hole side also.

Never seen a deer with no front legs ! !

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm sitting in a tree typing this. I couldn't find any scent free sunscreen so I'm probably getting third degree burns on my face. I knew the weather would do this because it always does when I take vacation to hunt so I prepared by eating nothing but maple leaves and dirt for the past two weeks. As I sit here sweating like I just finished running a marathon my body odor smells of the woods and there's no way the big bucks could smell me, if they were planning on moving more than three feet before midnight that is.

Still better than working I reckon.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    It has been a great year. My daughters both tagged out on bucks so my season was a success even if I didn't kill anything. All last summer I had been watching two bucks in particular, both high 140's class deer. Both deer were killed by other bow hunters (I know both of the young men and I could not be happier for them both), so I really did not know what to expect for my opportunities. I had some other bucks on camera as well that were decent and figured if the mood struck me I would kill one. Mid last week I found that one of these such bucks had made a home in my swamp. I watched him come out of the swamp two out of three afternoons, so with the wind forecast right on Friday morning, I hatched a plan to set up on him. Sure enough at about 9:30 in the morning here he came, checking thickets for does. I ended up working the grunt call pretty hard to convince him that he should check out his bedroom a little earlier than he intended. At 28 yards I let an arrow fly and it was over. Not the biggest buck that I have on camera, but it is my first main frame 10 with a bow and I am very happy with him. This buck is icing on the cake for what has been an amazing fall of deer hunting.

Here is video of the hunt.

[video=youtube;UxJpYmwWuhk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxJpYmwWuhk[/video]

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Great pic and story... really top notch video production too. Only thing missing was a sweet, loud industrial rock guitar lick right at the open and right before the shot to build tension. THANK YOU FOR LEAVING THAT KIND OF CRAP OUT OF YOUR VIDEO!! :-)

Congrats on a fruitful season and great deer.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I got this one today. Saw 5 different bucks cruising. I was hoping this was the buck that I got trail pics of 2 days ago but I couldn't resist. Was just glad to get it done before gun season. Now I can help my wife and kids get on some.

Top Bottom