• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i eased in to a remote area to my climber yesterday around 1pm for the afternoon hunt real thick stuff farthest shot maybe 50 yrds. around 4pm sounds like a heard of cattle coming through but its 4or 5 whitetales bustin out im downwind cant figure it out then i see 2 potlicker dogs chasing them im wishin for a supressed 22. the dogs leave and i sit tight. at 5 i see this deer coming from my right, bad deal for a righ hander so i go lefty and stop him at 30 yrds. i heard a loud crash a hundred away where he expired from a 200gr shockwave. bigest deer i ever put a site on

Yep, I would take a scope bite for that buck without a doubt. Congrats

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I'm late to the post but I shot this small 8pt about 10minutes after the sun came up on opening morning. First deer season I've been back in Indiana to hunt in 6 years and last hunt on my grandparents farm.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm late to the post but I shot this small 8pt about 10minutes after the sun came up on opening morning. First deer season I've been back in Indiana to hunt in 6 years and last hunt on my grandparents farm.

Nicely done!
    What chambering in your AR, .300 BLK, .308 Winchester (doubtful, since that mag well doesn't look long enough to be an AR-10), .458 Bushmaster, or ???

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    300blk 125gr at 50 or so yards. Dropped where he stood, my most ethical harvest.

Textbook shot, for sure.
    I shot one with just about identical headgear and body size on opening day (9:50AM) with my .30-06 Ruger M77.
    He didn't go 50 feet.
    I'll be making my first batch of jerky from him this weekend.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Textbook shot, for sure.
    I shot one with just about identical headgear and body size on opening day (9:50AM) with my .30-06 Ruger M77.
    He didn't go 50 feet.
    I'll be making my first batch of jerky from him this weekend.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get good jerky. I've made acceptable batches but nothing spectacular.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm still trying to figure out how to get good jerky. I've made acceptable batches but nothing spectacular.

Were you using ground meat, or was it sliced shoulder tissue?
    If the former, you'll just need to follow the instructions on the cure/seasoning packets and mix both thoroughly to the prescribed amount of meat, then dry and monitor the process until you're at the desired degree of dehydration.
    Be sure that you have your dehydrator set to right temperature (usually the highest setting), and check it periodically.
    FWIW, my Nesco dehydrator has no switch, only a temperature control, so it starts running as as soon as I plug it in.
    I control how long it runs with this - Defiant 15-Amp 7-Day Plug-In Digital Polarized Timer-49809 - The Home Depot
    I have yet to use strip meat, but according to my boss, who has made several batches for me years ago, you need to marinate the meat in the seasoning/cure for at least 24 hours in the refrigerator, and he suggested adding a bit of Worcestershire and teriyaki sauce to the mix for better flavor.
    Also, if you're not getting the flavor that you like, maybe change up the brand of mix, or switch to a different flavor, such as hickory or mesquite.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy

I only make jerky from ground these days. It is quick and easy and everyone seems to love it more. My jerky finally came together when I did 3 things..

1. Bought a nesco dehydrator with the 160 degree jerky setting.
    2. Bought a LEM Jerky Cannon, stainless steel tube.
    3. Started adding 1 tbsp of liquid smoke to my seasoning mix per 5lbs of meat.

I thaw out 5lbs of ground venison. I take a stick blender and grind the meat down even smoother, not into paste but I remove and chunks and thin it out a little. Then I mix in the Backwoods Hickory Seasoning packet & cure along with my 1tbsp of liquid hickory smoke. I then hand mix like a meat loaf and then let it sit in the fridge for about and hour.

I then load up the jerky cannon and fill all 5 trays, usually have enough for 2 more trays when the first run is done. I set the temp for 160 and come back after the first hour and dab off the oils. Then check it every 2 hours, rotating trays from tops to bottom. At about 6-7 hours it is good to go.

I pop it in the over at 275 degrees for 20 minutes and then let it cool.

w2k0311

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Wanamaker
    I hope I am not in the wrong area here, but has anybody heard of areas affected by EHD this year? I hunt Parke and have had a bumper year. Just 20 minutes north in Fountain my good friend has has ZILCH on camera, ZILCH while on stand, and ZILCH were reported from the properties north and south of him. Thanks for the info in advance

MikeBrennan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2016
    Indiana
    In Putnam County, I've seen fewer by far than past years...

Last year, for example, I saw over 20 on opening day alone. This year I saw less than a dozen in the entire season...and only one doe.

Just one guy's experience.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I hope I am not in the wrong area here, but has anybody heard of areas affected by EHD this year? I hunt Parke and have had a bumper year. Just 20 minutes north in Fountain my good friend has has ZILCH on camera, ZILCH while on stand, and ZILCH were reported from the properties north and south of him. Thanks for the info in advance

Fountain has not been a great year for us or those who hunt around us but we did see at least one deer on every sit other than today. I'd say numbers are down but someone will just pipe up and claim otherwise so I won't waste my breath.

Top Bottom