Defending yourself or others against animal attack..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I can't believe humanity has gotten to the point where this is even a topic for discussion. An animal showing material aggression towards me, much less my family, will no longer be allowed to continue using oxygen.

Agreed. I have no emotional attachments to animals and I won't let one hurt me if I can stop it.

Old Prof

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2015
    West Lafayette
    Looks like using pepper spray would be a better option if a large angry dog gets a bit too close.

Way less legal ramifications compared to using a gun.Plus you will save your hearing as well.
    You can't just shoot a dog that is following you.
    If it's not self defense you could get in trouble for discharging a gun within city limits, possibly getting sued by the dog's owner or any bystander hurt by the shot (noise or ricochet).

You can spray some condiment in the air between the dog and you to create distance.That's legal anywhere. :dunno:

I used to bike in rural Kentucky, and packs of dogs would decide to chase me. A blast of pepper spray did wonders. Plus, since it is quiet and non-lethal, you can be more aggressive in its use.

I would have no trouble killing a dog that seriously threatens me, my family, or my dog. I would be heartbroken to shoot a dog that I thought was going to attack me and that turned out to be some kids pet. Pepper spray allows me to do the former while avoiding the latter. And having a gun as backup isn't a bad idea. I have no idea how a trained attack dog or rabid animal would react to pepper spray.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Wait - where does this idea come from (in Indiana)?

Pets (and any domesticated animal, really) are basically chattel. If I damage yours, I owe you the cost to replace. If you are in reasonable fear of death or serious bodily injury, you can take whatever steps necessary to defend yourself (while avoiding switching over to being an aggressor of your own). If that's a dog, a bear, or a parrot, you do what you gotta do.

In fact, its pretty clear that Carmel is probably the only place you could use a firearm to shepherd a wayward dog back to its yard. ;)

I was once in this exact situation with a parrot. He was verbally abusive. Rather than drop him off his perch with a .357, I exited the building with most of my ego intact.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I used to bike in rural Kentucky, and packs of dogs would decide to chase me. A blast of pepper spray did wonders. Plus, since it is quiet and non-lethal, you can be more aggressive in its use.

I would have no trouble killing a dog that seriously threatens me, my family, or my dog. I would be heartbroken to shoot a dog that I thought was going to attack me and that turned out to be some kids pet. Pepper spray allows me to do the former while avoiding the latter. And having a gun as backup isn't a bad idea. I have no idea how a trained attack dog or rabid animal would react to pepper spray.

:+1:

It's also probably easier to hit a dog with a fog of pepper spray than it it with a bullet if the dog is charging at you.
    Also if the dog is already on you and trying to bite your legs do you really want to use a gun and potentially shoot yourself in the leg or foot?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Defense is defense.
    I understand a lawyer has to give his client the best defense... but "only for defense against people, and not animals"? WTF?

Flagg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    N/A
    I'm sure the legality is the same as if you were defending against a human.

That being said, I always carry mace (as does my wife) and an ASP when walking our dog for this very reason. I've had way more potential self defense scenarios against big stray dogs (esp. downtown Indy) than against people. It's nice to have options.

JDimitri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2017
    Crown Point
    The sad thing is how public opinion comes into play. People will see a shot dog and try to spin the story that the person was the aggressor and garner sympathy for the animal in question. Case in point, in a town near where I used to live in Texas, a man had a chicken coop. His neighbors had dogs that would wander onto his property and kill his chickens. Guy warned the neighbors about their dogs killing his live stock. Well, it kept happening and the guy had enough so when the dogs came to the chicken coop again, he shot the two dogs killing them. Word got out fast and the neighbors were trying to play victim so the guy in question was receiving death threats from all around the U. S. for protecting his property. People did not want to hear the truth of the situation. Which is usually the case now days. The worst part is the general public basis their decisions on emotion and not fact.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    The sad thing is how public opinion comes into play. People will see a shot dog and try to spin the story that the person was the aggressor and garner sympathy for the animal in question. Case in point, in a town near where I used to live in Texas, a man had a chicken coop. His neighbors had dogs that would wander onto his property and kill his chickens. Guy warned the neighbors about their dogs killing his live stock. Well, it kept happening and the guy had enough so when the dogs came to the chicken coop again, he shot the two dogs killing them. Word got out fast and the neighbors were trying to play victim so the guy in question was receiving death threats from all around the U. S. for protecting his property. People did not want to hear the truth of the situation. Which is usually the case now days. The worst part is the general public basis their decisions on emotion and not fact.

Good reason to own a backhoe

Top Bottom