• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    just curious for those with more knowledge than myself as to what indiana law says about defending ones property with the use of deadly force if necessary.. i have allready had a motorcycle stolen and my house broken into in the last year and im geting fed up with no good dirty thieves!! if i was to catch someone in the act..? or running off with my things..? any ideas of which IC # would apply would be helpful

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    "is justified in using reasonable force against another person if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to immediately prevent or terminate the other person's trespass on or criminal interference with property lawfully in the person's possession"
    now does anyone think that someone running off with my computer, firesafe, firearm, dog etc. would warrent deadly force.. or is it like shooting a deer right over the property line and just kinda dragging it over the line

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    thank you. its not exactly black and white to me tho. one persons "reasonable" could be another persons acceptable when it comes to some things. im just concerned i may come home one day and find some jack wagon in my house going through my styff and i dont want to end up in the slammer
    Exactly....
    For a better answer you'll need to find a Lawyer...

If you get the chance to take a class by Guy at Tactical Firearms Training (Tactical Firearms Training LLC - INGunOwners) do it. I am not saying your head will be any less cloudy but you will have a better understanding of where to look for the answers... ;)

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    just curious for those with more knowledge than myself as to what indiana law says about defending ones property with the use of deadly force if necessary.. i have allready had a motorcycle stolen and my house broken into in the last year and im geting fed up with no good dirty thieves!! if i was to catch someone in the act..? or running off with my things..? any ideas of which IC # would apply would be helpful

Dont make it more complicated than necessary. Any and all force used must be "reasonable" under the law. There just isn't much black and white in that like many people would like to think. IMO avoid deadly force at all cost's if possible. A average person will most likely know when they are at that point. The consequences of being wrong can be real bad.:twocents:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have been the victom of theft in the past, as I am sure many on here have. It sucks, but property is replaceable. Sure it pisses me off to no end to have my property stolen, but I would not consider taking a life over it.

Unlawfully enter my home, intend to harm my child or myself...yes, but personal property no. Just my :twocents:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Insurance is good for those who would steal from you. Guns are good for those who would try to kill you.

oldshaky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Greensburg
    My wife had an attempted forced entry while i was at work . She called 911 after retrieving the home defense shotgun we own . The dispatcher asked if she was armed with a gun , she replied yes , the dispatcher told her to put it away . My wife told them she would not put it away until an officer was at the door . Had an intruder gained entry , the laws would not have mattered much or even been thought of till after the smoke cleared .

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    ... but property is replaceable. Sure it pisses me off to no end to have my property stolen, but I would not consider taking a life over it.

Unlawfully enter my home, intend to harm my child or myself...yes, but personal property no. Just my :twocents:

^^^ This! Property IS replaceable. However, if I were at home at the time, I would confront the thief, defensively well armed of course, as I couldn't stand the thought of some low-life brazenly trespassing onto my property attempting to steal my hard-earned property. I would make it very clear that they are in charge of their immediate future and ask them in a firm and understandable manner to please not put me in fear of my life. :patriot:

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    ^^^ This! Property IS replaceable. However, if I were at home at the time, I would confront the thief, defensively well armed of course, as I couldn't stand the thought of some low-life brazenly trespassing onto my property attempting to steal my hard-earned property. I would make it very clear that they are in charge of their immediate future and ask them in a firm and understandable manner to please not put me in fear of my life. :patriot:

i love the way you worded this. sounded like a line from a good action police movie!

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Who is John Galt?

I'm not sure it's a good idea to attempt a discussion with a thief to try and talk them out of it. :twocents:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    like denzel washington said in training day "its not what you know, its what you can prove"

Well, if we are going to draw legal conclusions from movies, then how did it work out for Denzel Washington at the end of the movie?

Property=reasonable force which is not deadly force. But remember if you do tackle them and initiate a juijitsu match then what happens if they get hurt (ahem, happens to cops all the time and look at the reaction among some of the public), or you get hurt or they have a blood or skin-borne pathogen?

I'd rather work to replace my motorcycle by calling the insurance company then have to appear for depositions, pay attorneys, lose time at work, inter alia.

Top Bottom