• ...and so much more!
  • goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    What: Defensive Carbine 101 class.
    When: Saturday August 15th from 8:00AM-6:00PM.
    Where: Hamilton County Fish and Game Association
    How Much: $150. Click here for discounts and cancellation policy.
    Description: This course teaches how to use a carbine/rifle to defend against criminal attack. It is designed for those are familiar with how to safely own, handle and shoot a rifle. Training includes proper mindset to be aware of your surroundings and be prepared for criminal attack. Physical and mental reaction to a Critical Incident, proper loading/reloading, reacting to gun stoppages /malfunctions as well as correct manipulation of the carbine to keep it loaded and ready to rapidly fire and more are also taught. Range work includes flash sight picture, moving off the X, changing levels, point-blank shooting, cover/concealment, multiple targets, the Tueller drill and more.
    What to Bring: A rifle/carbine in any caliber up to but not including .50 BMG.

Learn more about us and what we do: Train To Be Safe Academy - TrainToBeSafe.com
    Email me with any questions: chris@traintobesafe.com

Take care and BE SAFE!

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Joe Cruz is the instructor. You can read about Joe on our About Us page. He's spent 10 years in the US Army, four of those in Ranger Battalion. He's been a military as well as civilian police officer and has also trained hand-to-hand combatives in the Army. He's also an instructor in several martial arts which he learned while in the service in Japan and elsewhere. Joe is a great instructor and a good friend. Some of you may have met him when he worked at Gander Mountain on 86th Street.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    It is a lot of information, I won't disagree. It's not a Basic Rifle class and you are expected to know how to operate your rifle/carbine before taking the class. We don't go over basic functionality, zeroing or other basics.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Joe Cruz is the instructor. You can read about Joe on our About Us page. He's spent 10 years in the US Army, four of those in Ranger Battalion. He's been a military as well as civilian police officer and has also trained hand-to-hand combatives in the Army. He's also an instructor in several martial arts which he learned while in the service in Japan and elsewhere. Joe is a great instructor and a good friend. Some of you may have met him when he worked at Gander Mountain on 86th Street.

Thanks!

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Is there a list of recommended gear? How many rounds and mags will you need?
    Here is our "What to bring" list:
    REQUIRED GEAR:
    o A positive attitude and a desire to learn how to use a carbine for defense.
    o Eye and ear protection. I recommend at least 23dB NRR for ear protection. Shooting-glasses that are compliant with the ANSI Z87.1 standard. If you wear prescription glasses I recommend shooting classes that go over your prescription classes. If you do not have eye and ear protection, I have combos available for $15 (cash or check) for the set.
    o Any rifle/carbine in any caliber that is permitted at the location of the class. Please see the location’s website or contact Chris (chris@traintobesafe.com) to make sure your caliber is permitted. Semi-automatic or select-fire (set to semi-auto) is recommended. Bolt-action, lever-action and pump-action are acceptable but NOT recommended. We recommend bringing the rifle you will use for defense.
    o A sling which is securely attached to your rifle.
    o Gun’s Owner’s Manual. If you do not have one, you can usually download one from the manufacturer’s website and/or call and have one sent to you.
    o Ammunition: At least 200 (250 is advised) rounds of ammunition is required. Inexpensive Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) "range ammo" such as "Winchester White Box", military surplus or similar is perfectly fine. Bringing more than the required is always an option in case we want to shoot a drill again.
    o A gun case (soft or hard sided). Please do not bring your rifle without a case that is made for securely carrying a long-gun.
    o Weather appropriate clothing including comfortable footwear which is close-toed (no sandals, flip-flops, etc). We will shoot regardless of weather.
    o Knee-pads. Any inexpensive set will work. If you do not have any, let me know we have some for you to use at no charge.
    o A sports-bottle to refill with water. STAY HYDRATED!
    o A hat with a brim such as a baseball cap or similar.
    o A pen/pencil and notebook (bring your notebook from a previous TTBS class).

OPTIONAL GEAR:
    o Bug spray and sun-block is highly recommended for the warm seasons.
    o Snacks if you want them, it’s a long day.
    o A folding chair to sit on while on the range.
    OTHER TOPICS:
    o If you have not included the facility fee in your payment, please bring payment of cash or check. This does not apply if you are included in a club membership.
    o Please note the special rule of no ammunition in the classroom. Please leave it in your vehicle until we are ready for you to get it for the range portion of the course.
    o Bring your UNLOADED (check and recheck) rifle (but no ammunition) into the clubhouse in a gun-case (soft or hard sided) or range-bag that holds the gun securely and prevents it from moving around. There should not be other foreign objects with your gun that can get into the trigger guard or brush up against your gun. Please bring your owner's manual if you have it. You should also read your manual prior to coming to the class so you understand how your rifle functions or can ask questions about it if you are unsure.
    o We encourage and expect you to ask any and all questions before, during and after the course. Firearms and safe shooting are too important for you to have unanswered questions or be unsure of a topic.
    o We will shoot rain (or snow) or shine, so please dress appropriately for the weather. If there is a chance of rain, play it safe and bring rain-gear including boots for the inevitable mud that will form.
    o Should you have any questions, please feel free to email me at this address: chris@TrainToBeSafe.com.

Last edited:

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    If this is not a "basic" class, why do you guys request bringing the gun manual? A lot of guys, myself included, build our defensive rifles. Also, the whole no ammo in the classroom thing sounds like this is a NFA basic handgun class that has been adapted to rifles.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    If this is not a "basic" class, why do you guys request bringing the gun manual? A lot of guys, myself included, build our defensive rifles. Also, the whole no ammo in the classroom thing sounds like this is a NFA basic handgun class that has been adapted to rifles.

If you don't have the manual due to it being a build, of course it is fine not to bring it. If you have it, why not bring it? Just because it's not a basic course doesn't mean something may happen to the firearm that is covered in the manual but is not known by the student or (gasp) Joe or me. We know a lot...we don't know everything. For example, one student is bringing his Tavor. I don't have a Tavor (yet) and therefore I am familiar with it. Joe probably is because he's sold them but having the manual on hand would be a good idea. That's the reasoning behind it.

The reason we don't want ammo in the classroom is because you need 3 things in order to fire a firearm: (1) The person (2) The firearm and (3) The ammunition. If you take any one of those away, the firearm cannot fire. Since we need the person to instruct and the firearm for dry-drills, the logical thing to do is remove the ammo. Yes, it came from the NRA courses I've taught. I believe it is a good rule. It's fine if you don't agree, but you still have to follow it.

Take care and BE SAFE!

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    The guy bringing the Tavor to this class would be me :-)

I've taken a few of Train to Be Safe's classes (NRA Basic Pistol, Defensive Handgun 101/201) and been quite satisfied. I've also taken courses from Jim Heath at Custom Cop. Chris and Joe run good courses that won't break the bank. Is this a Gunsite level class? Probably not (and I admittedly have no basis for comparison as I haven't taken that level of firearms class, yet). However, you'll get a day at the range (sure beats a day at work) and potentially learn something too.

I'm bringing at least one of my buddies (trying to get a 2nd buddy to come as well).

If you don't have the manual due to it being a build, of course it is fine not to bring it. If you have it, why not bring it? Just because it's not a basic course doesn't mean something may happen to the firearm that is covered in the manual but is not known by the student or (gasp) Joe or me. We know a lot...we don't know everything. For example, one student is bringing his Tavor. I don't have a Tavor (yet) and therefore I am familiar with it. Joe probably is because he's sold them but having the manual on hand would be a good idea. That's the reasoning behind it.

The reason we don't want ammo in the classroom is because you need 3 things in order to fire a firearm: (1) The person (2) The firearm and (3) The ammunition. If you take any one of those away, the firearm cannot fire. Since we need the person to instruct and the firearm for dry-drills, the logical thing to do is remove the ammo. Yes, it came from the NRA courses I've taught. I believe it is a good rule. It's fine if you don't agree, but you still have to follow it.

Take care and BE SAFE!

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Hi Brian, thanks for registering for the class. You are all set for the class. Please take a look at the "What to bring" document and directions ahead of time and let me know if you have any questions.

I too am looking forward to the class and to seeing you there.

Take care and BE SAFE!

brianheeter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    The class was awesome. I had a great time and learned a bunch. This class was exactly what I needed to bring my skills along. With only 6 students the Instructor/student ratio was very favorable. When a student needed some one-on-one attention it was available and we didn't take a huge hit on time since it was a small class. I will train with Chris and Joe again. Gentlemen, thank you for a great class and for sharing your knowledge.

brian

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    The class was awesome. I had a great time and learned a bunch. This class was exactly what I needed to bring my skills along. With only 6 students the Instructor/student ratio was very favorable. When a student needed some one-on-one attention it was available and we didn't take a huge hit on time since it was a small class. I will train with Chris and Joe again. Gentlemen, thank you for a great class and for sharing your knowledge.

brian

Hi Brian,
    Thanks for the write-up!

It was great having you and the rest of the guys in the class. Everyone did really well and seemed to enjoy the class. Everyone had a fantastic attitude, willingness to learn and were very safe. The trigger-finger and muzzle disciplines were fantastic. As I said at the end of class, this was definitely among the best group of students we've had.

We do limit the classes to no more than 10 students to allow for ample attention to everyone and extra attention to those who need it a little bit of help. I'm glad everyone took the advice in the emails leading up to the class and brought extra ammo. We were able to get through all the standard drills and even repeat several of them to help develop the skill that we were teaching. I'm actually going to go through the coursework and streamline a few things and also go through the rangework and incorporate a few other drills. We're always improving our classes, including taking into consideration the feedback we get from students. Don't forget, with our Repeat-a-class discount, you can re-take the course for half the price when we run it again.

I look forward to seeing you in other classes as well. We have our Defensive Pistol and Defensive Shotgun classes coming up in October. You can check them out on our website: Train To Be Safe Course Schedule - Train To Be Safe Academy

Take care and BE SAFE!

Top Bottom