• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    Agreed. S&W got it right by getting rid of the hammer. I would like to shoot the S&W in comparison with the Walther. The PK380 is very pleasant to shoot. With the larger frames that they have, the recoil in the Walther is minimal.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Agreed. S&W got it right by getting rid of the hammer. I would like to shoot the S&W in comparison with the Walther. The PK380 is very pleasant to shoot. With the larger frames that they have, the recoil in the Walther is minimal.

I only use my mother's situation as my knowledge base. She's not afraid of weapons but also not capable of full time carry or making a complicated mental/mechanical check list to discharge a weapon.
    I've been playing with a couple of PPQs and they're a good plastic gun. I haven't shot the EZ yet but I'm sure I'll eventually get to get my hand around one.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    LCR has a lighter and better trigger than a j-frame from the factory *IF* you get a centerfire. Rimfire triggers are heavier and are often butt.

No magazines to load, no slide to rack, no malfunction drills, will reliably run even if not lubed/maintained, .38 wadcutter ammo penetrates well and is less likely to deflect off round bone than .380 ball, grips can be changed based on hand size but the factory grips reduce recoil very nicely. Front site is easily swapped due to being pinned, so you can put on a high viz fiber optic very easily, which might be nice for older eyes. Can't be limp wristed into malfunctioning.

I would avoid the SP101 unless you're willing to invest in a spring kit and cleaning up the guts. You can make it a decent trigger, but it'll stack more than the cam'd LCR trigger.

*If* you're going to be around to load magazines, occasionally clean and lube, etc. then branching into a self loader like the .380 Shield can be more attractive, assuming no limp wristing issues, grip fits hand, etc.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    11 lb da trigger pull?

I believe the ez shield has a 4.5# pull right out the box. Recoil is very minimal as well.
    It's a great shooter all the way around.
    Maybe see if you can rent one to try out locally. If you were local to me id let ya try my wifes out

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have been in a wheelchair for about 5 years now. My advice? A snub DA revolver. Or two. I keep one attached to the chair and one attached to me. A nice S&W J frame loaded with .38 Spl 140 grain slugs at the minimum. I actually use two .44 Spl snubs with 200 gr. wadcutters.

These must be a bear to shoot.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Why wait? Lol. Im not a big 380acp fan, but i really enjoying putting a few rounds thru the wifes when we hit the range. Im working on developing a few loads for it now, for plinking and self defense. Thats about the only drawback to the 380 is the price of factory ammo.

The defense loads are no more expensive than other defense loads, and reloads are less expensive because you only use about 75% as much powder compared to a 9mm.

....and mixing it up with 9mm in the tumbler...

That is an easy fix. Sit them up on the table...shorties in one can, longer ones in another.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    LCR has a lighter and better trigger than a j-frame from the factory *IF* you get a centerfire. Rimfire triggers are heavier and are often butt.

No magazines to load, no slide to rack, no malfunction drills, will reliably run even if not lubed/maintained, .38 wadcutter ammo penetrates well and is less likely to deflect off round bone than .380 ball, grips can be changed based on hand size but the factory grips reduce recoil very nicely. Front site is easily swapped due to being pinned, so you can put on a high viz fiber optic very easily, which might be nice for older eyes. Can't be limp wristed into malfunctioning.

I would avoid the SP101 unless you're willing to invest in a spring kit and cleaning up the guts. You can make it a decent trigger, but it'll stack more than the cam'd LCR trigger.

*If* you're going to be around to load magazines, occasionally clean and lube, etc. then branching into a self loader like the .380 Shield can be more attractive, assuming no limp wristing issues, grip fits hand, etc.

Agree with this 100%. If you go with the LCR in 357, it's even heavier to lessen the recoil. My wife prefers my LCR over 380s or 9s because it is simple to understand and use. Revolvers aren't my first choice for novice shooters, but sometimes it does just make sense.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    BBI confirms my gut feeling about the LCRs.

I don't care how easy to rack a slide is or how a button is added to the magazine. It's still a magazine and a slide, neither of which a wheelgunner has to mess with.

LCR in .357 loaded with light .38 wadcutters is it!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I wanted to update this thread to highlight an option I had totally forgotten about:

The compact Beretta models: Tomcat, Bobcat, etc. The tip up barrels on these models obviate the need to rack the slide, and they DA/SA is not a bad trigger.

No, .32ACP isn't ideal but I'd feel a lot better giving a relative a Tomcat than having nothing.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...The compact Beretta models: Tomcat, Bobcat, etc. The tip up barrels on these models obviate the need to rack the slide, and they DA/SA is not a bad trigger...

If small size isn't an issue, the larger Cheetah has the same features, more capacity, and less recoil. But, for either you'd have to find a used one I think as Beretta no longer sells these in the U.S. (unless I'm mistaken). There was a Tomcat in the classifieds recently FWIW.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    If small size isn't an issue, the larger Cheetah has the same features, more capacity, and less recoil. But, for either you'd have to find a used one I think as Beretta no longer sells these in the U.S. (unless I'm mistaken). There was a Tomcat in the classifieds recently FWIW.

Cheetah-- the gun used by the man who killed Yitzhak Rabin, if I recall.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Maybe we should look at this from a different angle...

[video=youtube;xB7iz1HTh9U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB7iz1HTh9U[/video]

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Cheetah-- the gun used by the man who killed Yitzhak Rabin, if I recall.

Right, the .380acp version (there was a 32 acp version also, and a 22LR).

I'm not sure whether they're even in production any more.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    LCR in .357 is a good choice. Another is a workhorse Smith .38 like a model 10 or 64. My $269 police-trade M64 is my best-shooting wheelgun.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have owned both the PK380 and Shield EZ. The PK380 was a great idea and best option available at the time. I will give credit to Walther, they saw a need in the market and delivered a product. I liked our PK380, it shot well, was easy to manipulate, ambidextrous and felt good in the hand. My only real complaint was the slide mounted safety and lack of a decocker. The Shield EZ is well thought out, properly designed and just feels more solid in construction. The EZ is a single action only pistol and operates like a 1911. I have only put about 150 rounds of various ammo through the one I bought and the gun ran with all loads.

The 3” Ruger LRCx catches my eye as an option. I am a big fan of the 3” J frame sized “kit” guns. If a person wants to actually carry the gun then the traditional 2” LCR makes a lot more sense.

As mentioned Police trade in Model 10, 15, or 64s are in the wild. They are solid shooters and usually have good triggers. With light loads they are super easy to shoot.

Rong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    NE Indiana
    My grandpa was using a Ruger single six stoked with 22 mag. the last few years. He didn't have any trouble thumbing the hammer back and the trigger pull was light enough to shoot on
    target.

Top Bottom