• ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Apples and oranges you say?

Not really. Out of longer barrel (6"+) a hot 10mm is surprisingly close to .300blk performance. You can expect 1700fps @ 135gr for the 10mm, and and 2000-2200fps @ 125gr for the .300blk.

It begs, of course, the question of platform. Since Kriss is going 10mm on the Vector, that would be a viable option, as are other carbines that use Glock G20 mags.

There's also the G40, which gives you 800lb-ft in a surprisingly reasonable form factor.

So the ballistics seem somewhat comparable. What about the terminal performance?

The main problem is see is bullet suitability. 10mm bullets aren't designed for 1700fps. JHPs are way oversped and will under penetrate or come apart. FMJs won't do the damage you want (let's put aside the Lehigh/Underwood load for now).

On the 300BLK side, you have bullets that are designed for higher speeds being driven somewhat slow. No .30 cal bullet can be optimized for a speed range from 300blk to .308 to 300winmag. Perhaps a Barnes or Lehigh non lead round might be an exception?

What about ammo capacity? The G40 9" is powerful, but you only get 15 rounds.

The AR platform of .300blk gives you more ammo capacity. But can you handle a .300blk pistol with much dexterity? Is it really desirable to have a ton of ammo capacity if that mag is always getting in the way? Drop down to a 20rd mag for handling and the capacity difference is almost rendered moot.

I'd be really curious to see if someone shot a qual course with a 9" barrel G40 versus a much heavier .300blk pistol.

Which do you think would perform better in terms of speed and accuracy: long slide Glock or short barrel .300blk pistol?

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Compare external ballistics and accuracy at 50-200yds. I'll go with 300blk. ETA: in an AR pattern over a pistol. Guess it depends on how you define "defensive" though...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I shoot both 10mm and 300BLK. I have a G40, a custom LWD Longslide I built with 6.6"bbl and compensator, the 9"LWD bbl (because, hey, why not) and the Olympic Arms AR upper in 16" (that's just the relevant ones, I have quite a 10mm collection).

It's not really a matter of terminal performance. My nuclear 10mm rounds get over 800ft-lbs out of a hard cast 200gr solid in the 6"bbl. It's more about platform. SBR and Hollywood quiet suppression versus a pistol platform.

When I am in grizzly country I prefer my G20 loaded with my nuclear rounds as my 300BLK "pistol" is far heavier and far less suited for the very close ranges I may encounter a need, and I really don't think 300BLK is appropriate for grizzly, though 10mm is on the absolute lowest end there too. If I want to engage a target out to a couple hundred yards then I want my 300BLK. It's my "get home" gun that rides in the truck in case of SHTF.

So yeah, apples and oranges and to me very much mission dependent. I can carry my G29 as an EDC and feel I have a pretty potent round in a very small package.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Simplified:
    Within 50 yards, 10mm, both for portability and performance, as long as you're using the best bullets (Speer Gold Dot and similar)
    Beyond 50 yards, .300 BLK for better ballistics at moderately long distance, much flatter trajectory, again as long as you're using top quality controlled expansion bullets instead of varmint type (fragmenting) or FMJ

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Let's even things up a bit

10mm carbine. Just wait until you see how 10m screams out of 16 inch barrel.

Thureon Defense "GA" Basic Carbine | Thureon Defense

it's also possible to use the Kris's vector 45 auto mag extensions on the 10mm glock mags with a bit of modification.

I'd still go with 300blk, and the farther the target the more I'd want 300blk. You'll never get the BC of a HPBT or Barnes black tip out of a pistol bullet.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Simplified:
    Within 50 yards, 10mm, both for portability and performance, as long as you're using the best bullets (Speer Gold Dot and similar)
    Beyond 50 yards, .300 BLK for better ballistics at moderately long distance, much flatter trajectory, again as long as you're using top quality controlled expansion bullets instead of varmint type (fragmenting) or FMJ

I'd still go with 300blk, and the farther the target the more I'd want 300blk. You'll never get the BC of a HPBT or Barnes black tip out of a pistol bullet.

^^^What these guys said^^^

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would go the 300 BLK route all day. Don't have any experience with the 10mm and don't plan to. The AR is easy to work on and find any needed parts and can be adapted to whatever it needs to be. Also a wide range of loadings for the BLK

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I would go the 300 BLK route all day. Don't have any experience with the 10mm and don't plan to. The AR is easy to work on and find any needed parts and can be adapted to whatever it needs to be. Also a wide range of loadings for the BLK
    :+1: I mean 10mm is fantastic. And I understand what some are saying about how you can carry a 10mm on your hip. But if you are not carrying it around with you I'll take a 300blk AR every time.

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    .300 Blk is literally the ballistic clone of 8mm kurz with a better BC,

But the Russians developed a better round...........in 1943. 7.62x39mm may not be as sexy or have a streamlined bullet for +200 yard shooting, but what OP is talking about seems to be a close in defensive SBR/carbine. 7.62x39mm will launch a 124 grain bullet about 150-200 FPS faster then .300blk, and retains that advantage at short barrels, especially with modern fast burning powders. You also can all kinds of boutique defense ammo like Hornaday ballistic tipped stuff, or Russian 8m3 hollowpoints that are basically modern day dum dum bullets.

Honnestly, I would suggest OP get a M92 or a Draco, run it with a Ultimak and small red dot style optic and a Single point sling, and file SBR paperwork and you will have a more powerful, much more reliable(do you know the chamber pressures and temperature AR pistols run at?), less expensive, and far cheaper to shoot defensive arm then a .300blk pistol, and have far more effective range, accuracy, and follow up shots then the 10mm pistol

KSA.jpg

tacticalmaster45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 18, 2016
    Evansville
    Unique comparison being made but I can see some of the similarities. I would agree that 10mm is more suitable as a outdoor sidearm when loaded appropriately but the 300blk would be my choice for any shooting past 100yds due to its easier employment and better BC.

Top Bottom