• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I'm thinking about getting my brother and his wife a defensive handgun as a gift. He currently has a Davis .380 POS that I gave him way back when he went to college. Obviously, that's not really a good choice and I'd rather see him with something that isn't as likely to jam than function reliably.

It seems like there used to be a good market in used, inexpensive, guns that isn't around much anymore. You could get old S&W revolvers (or at least Rossis, Dan Wessons, or some assorted Euro imports like Astras or Titans) or various military surplus pistols for less than $200, heck for less than $100.

I tossed around the idea of just giving them my P3AT, but that thing is a bit of a handful. I was really leaning to a revolver, just because it's about as simple as you can get and his wife could operate it just as easily. Unfortunately, I've already thinned out my collection to the point where I only really have an old S&W .32-20 4". While that gun is reliable as all get out, the caliber is weird and it has a monster double action trigger pull.

The only cheap surplus guns around anymore are Nagant revolvers. But the round is anemic and the trigger pull is even worse than my old S&W. I thought about some of the Czech or Polish guns, like the P64 or CZ82 in 9x18 (now that there is some selection in Makarov ammo) but it looks like they either have dried up or got pricier. Armscorr makes a sub $200 (some places at any rate) .38 Spl revolver, but I haven't heard much about it.

Maybe I'm just being too cheap.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I bought my two Taurus semi-autos for $300 each, used. Excellent weapons. There is a good used market, but I do not think you will get much for under $300.

BTW, I bought my Uberti 1873 replica of $250 +shipping and FFL.

The S & W 22A can occasionally be had for $200, but it is a .22LR.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Buds gun shop (Online) has S&W model 10 police turn ins for $269/free shipping. Also I would recommend a used shotgun for home defense. You can definately find a SG for that price.

airmotive

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Tough price point.
    At that low of a price, definately a revolver that has proven itself to be functional (used).
    If you could go up another $50, that would put you in Bersa territory. No hesitations whatsoever about recomending a Bersa, regardless of the price point.

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    If you want to go with a $200 gun with serious ballistic potential, A Tokarev in 7.62 x 25 packs about as much oomph as you can in a pistol.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I'm thinking about getting my brother and his wife a defensive handgun as a gift. He currently has a Davis .380 POS that I gave him way back when he went to college. Obviously, that's not really a good choice and I'd rather see him with something that isn't as likely to jam than function reliably.

It seems like there used to be a good market in used, inexpensive, guns that isn't around much anymore. You could get old S&W revolvers (or at least Rossis, Dan Wessons, or some assorted Euro imports like Astras or Titans) or various military surplus pistols for less than $200, heck for less than $100.

I would suggest for your brother to get rid of the Davis and use the traded money to add on your budget.

Really save up to 300-400 to get anything meaningful

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I was in the same position as the OP, I wanted to get my parents a gun for home defense (they really aren't gun people) . I ended up settling on the S&W model 64 with a 4" barrel and bobbed hammer. It was $269 from jgsales.com. Its stainless steel so it will take a little more negligence in the cleaning department. Its chambered in 38 special which is easy to shoot, packs a decent punch, and very available. Also, revolvers are very reliable and its a Smith and Wesson so it has a great trigger pull and S&W has terrific customer service should anything go wrong.

I think for the money the used S&W k-frames are one of the best values on the market. IMO they are better then the newer S&W revolvers that sell for over $700.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I tossed around the idea of just giving them my P3AT, but that thing is a bit of a handful. I was really leaning to a revolver, just because it's about as simple as you can get and his wife could operate it just as easily. Unfortunately, I've already thinned out my collection to the point where I only really have an old S&W .32-20 4". While that gun is reliable as all get out, the caliber is weird and it has a monster double action trigger pull.

The only cheap surplus guns around anymore are Nagant revolvers. But the round is anemic and the trigger pull is even worse than my old S&W. I thought about some of the Czech or Polish guns, like the P64 or CZ82 in 9x18 (now that there is some selection in Makarov ammo) but it looks like they either have dried up or got pricier. Armscorr makes a sub $200 (some places at any rate) .38 Spl revolver, but I haven't heard much about it.

Maybe I'm just being too cheap.
    CZ 82's are available. AIM and Classic Arms both have them for $220. Last time I looked, Classic Arms had P64's for $190. I have both and the P64 is my EDC, at least until it gets colder, then it will be the CZ. :) The CZ is really accurate, and it doesn't get much easier to field strip a weapon.

*ETA* Bradis had some CZ 82's last weekend when I was there for $249.95 I think. That would be almost the same as AIM or Classic when you figure in shipping.

Last edited:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Try to line up a used Kel-Tec P11. Trigger isn't great, but accurate and reliable. If it is for home defense, I would try to budget for $350ish. You can get a used, good, reliable full sized combat pistol for that.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Used Taurus revolver would be the way to go. No way you could 'accidentally' pull the trigger on one of those. I carried a Taurus 85 for backup for several years. It was just under $300 new. A used one should be easy to pick up for $200.

Top Bottom