Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    What: Defensive Pistol 205 Low Light techniques
    When: December 4, 2010 7pm - 11pm
    Where: Riley Conservation Club Riley, Indiana
    Cost: $55 prepaid or $25 non-refundable deposit with $40 due at the class
    Lead Instructor: Joseph Viray
    Asst Instructors: John Viray and Aron Bright

Course Description: This class will begin with a classroom session on lights and other gear as well as flashlight techniques. The course will then move to the range for some night shooting and drills. The class will finish with some scenarios that will involve shooting threat targets and not shooting others.

Those want to register for the class must contact one of the instructors via email for a registration form. Your spot in the course is not reserved until the registration form and deposit are received at the home office.

This course is not for the new shooter. A prior defensive pistol course is required. (It does not have to be with us) In some cases IP 101 may suffice but will require approval by the lead instructor.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've received quite a few requests for another low light class and this is it! Please note the following:
    • As Aron mentioned, this class is not appropriate for inexperienced shooters. You don't have to have completed classes with us, but I reserve the right to final approval on all students. If I don't know you and you wish to participate in the class, please contact me via email (not PM): joseph@adaptiveconsultingandtraining.com
    • This class is scheduled for four hours from start to finish, so the time commitment should be a reasonable fit for most schedules.
    • This is a LIVE FIRE CLASS. Very few opportunities exist for people to conduct live fire practice in the dark, so take advantage of this if you wish to do so. You will be shooting in low light to complete darkness, depending on the ambient light from the moon and stars.
    • I will post a list of recommended gear soon. You must have an appropriate handheld light for this class even if you choose to have a light mounted on your pistol or you rely on night sights or lasers. If you have questions or need recommendations about lights, please contact me via email.
    As a reminder, your place in the class is not reserved until we have your completed paperwork and payment in full or deposit.
    ------------------------------------

Here is more information including the gear list!

EVENT: DP205b – Low Light Skills
    DATE: 04 DECEMBER 2010
    TIME: 19:00 - 23:00
    INSTRUCTOR: Joseph Viray, assisted by ACT staff
    TUITION: $55 prepaid
    PREREQUISITES: DP101 (or equivalent); instructor approval REQUIRED
    DESCRIPTION:

“Low Light Skills” will focus defensive techniques applied to low light or total darkness situations. The class will focus on the use of modern, high intensity flashlights and their applications to defensive use. Topics will include acquisition of information, use of handheld flashlights both with and without firearms, use of weapon-mounted flashlights, use of supplemental sighting devices (e.g. lasers), use of tritium night sights, etc.

** PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS CLASS WILL INCLUDE LIVE FIRE DRILLS. **

GEAR LIST:
    • Reliable, high-intensity handheld light; lanyard recommended
    • Back-up light (optional)
    • Spare batteries (recommended)
    • Spare lamps (if your light uses incandescent lamps)
    • Low intensity "task light" for navigation and checking targets (optional)
    • Weapon-mounted light (optional)
    • Inert replica of your pistol if you have one (e.g "Blue Gun" or similar that fits your holster)
    • Concealment garment (optional)
    • Pistol, caliber consistent with defensive needs
    • 300-500 rounds of ammunition (how much you need depends on how much you choose to fire)
    • 5 or more magazines or speed loaders. More is better to avoid delays on the line.
    • Magazine or speed loader carriers
    • Belt holster that covers the trigger guard and allows one handed holstering
    • Pistol belt
    • Eye and ear protection. Electronic muffs or vented earplugs suggested for allowing
    • easier hearing of range commands.
      [*]Billed cap
      [*]Please dress appropriately for outdoor activities according to the weather and allow
      for moderate physical activity. We will shoot, rain or shine, so consider bringing rain gear.
      [*]You should bring snacks and fluids of your choice. Snack bars or power bars
      are great to keep in your shooting bag. Water or a combination of water and sport drinks work best. ACT will provide bottled water.

For more information or to register, please contact us via email at:

Joseph@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com
    John@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com
    Aron@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    So to hit two birds with one stone, a hand-held light that could also be mounted to an AR?

SureFire G2 Nitrolon With LT707 QD Mount 770-004-707 770-005-707 770-006-707 looks like a good candidate, thoughts? Other suggestions?

I will leave gear recommendations to Rhino. However, a rifle or shotgun with mounted lights would be ok in running through the scenarios at the end. However, a handgun is needed for some of the other shooting as we will be using some steel targets and we are not able to use rifles on those targets.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So to hit two birds with one stone, a hand-held light that could also be mounted to an AR?

SureFire G2 Nitrolon With LT707 QD Mount 770-004-707 770-005-707 770-006-707 looks like a good candidate, thoughts? Other suggestions?

That's a good mount and if you need the quick detach features, it's awesome. I prefer a simpler approach with the $20 Viking Tactics VTAC mount, but it takes time to remove it with allen wrenches. In addition, I feel strongly that you need a handheld light on your person all the time in addition to one mounted on your rifle or pistol. If you carry a gun, you need to have a flashlight on your person as well. If you don't carry a gun, you probably ought to have a flashlight on your person too.

As fare as the light goes . . . the LED version of the G2 Nitrolon so-so. The light output is substandard (80 lumens), especially for the price, but it's a rugged piece of gear. The standard G2 Nitrolon is no longer worth considering (only 65 lumens and a fragile incandescent lamp) unless you're getting it with the intent of adding a drop-in LED module such as the Malkoff. You'd get great performance from that, but for the same price you could get between two and three Fenix lights after all is said and done.

Surefire has a new version with a reasonable price with a reasonable output of light (200 lumens):

Surefire G2X Pro Dual-Output LED 200 Lumens + 8 Free Batteries (G2X-B-BK)

At about that price point, though, you can get a Fenix TK11, which features 285 lumens for the most recent version.

(New) Fenix TK11 R5 Tactical LED Flashlight - 2 CR123A / 1 18650

or a TK12:

Fenix TK12 R5 Tactical LED Flashlight - 2 CR123A

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've edited message #2 in this topic and added a gear list for students.

As far as the ammunition requirements go, I've specified 300-500 rounds. Keep in mind that 1) this class is a reduced version of the standard DP205 class (which is 8 hours), so you may not need as much ammunition; and 2) how much ammo you need will depend on how much you choose to shoot during the drills.

To explain further . . .

No one (no one) can predict how many rounds it will take to solve any given problem. For that reason, I prefer to not condition my students to firing the same number of rounds each time. With some exceptions, I usually suggest 2-5 rounds for a given repetition of most drills. If a student wishes to shoot just one, that's fine. If they choose to shoot more than 5, that's fine. I want them to decide how much they need to shoot and I want them to decide when it's "enough" and I want them to shoot a different number on successive drills.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Okay . . . I've sent a notice about the class to my email lists, so I'm expecting the roster to fill pretty quickly. If you want to do this class, waiting to the last minute is probably not a great idea.

Top Bottom