• ...and so much more!
  • Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Hey guys,

I recently picked up a dehumidifier rod for my safe. I finally got around to installing it about a week ago. I am wondering if I recieved a faulty product. It does not seem to be making any difference on the moisture level in my safe. Printed on the side of the product is "caution hot surface". After being plugged in for a couple days it was barely warm to the touch. Anyone have expirience with these?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I have one in my safe. Is it installed near the safe floor? They only get warm. What they do is warm the bottom air in the safe. The warm air rises pushing the cooler air down to the bottom...to get warmed. Its a circular pattern that keeps the air moving and keeps moisture from settling on anything.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I have one in my safe. Is it installed near the safe floor? They only get warm. What they do is warm the bottom air in the safe. The warm air rises pushing the cooler air down to the bottom...to get warmed. Its a circular pattern that keeps the air moving and keeps moisture from settling on anything.

It is installed on the floor.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    The rods do not got hot enough where you can't touch them , they warm the air causing the warm to rise and re-circulate the cool back down . if you are unsure about the moisture content in your safe , buy some desiccant cans that can be reactivated once they fill up with the moisture , you put in the oven for a certain amount of time and dry them out and repeat.. good luck

PARA1640

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    BONAIRE
    I have one for each one of my safes, and they do get hot, but not hot enough that you can not hold them in your hand. I have the ones that came from Liberty.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Add one of these to your safe. Amazon.com - Eva-dry Renewable E-333 Wireless Mini Dehumidifer - Dehumidifiers

If you have a newer safe there may be more moisture trapped in there than you want to be warming up especially if you have gotten it recently during this cold weather.

I have one that looks exactly like that but says Remington on it. It hasnt changed color much and it has been in the safe for 4 months.

I have owned this safe for 3 years now. Unfortunately it is located in my garage which is not insulated.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I have one for each one of my safes, and they do get hot, but not hot enough that you can not hold them in your hand. I have the ones that came from Liberty.

This one doesnt get hot at all. If I wrap my hand around it I feel a slight warmth but not hot by any stretch of the imagination. I could hold it all day and it would not be what I consider to be hot.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Add one of these to your safe. Amazon.com - Eva-dry Renewable E-333 Wireless Mini Dehumidifer - Dehumidifiers

If you have a newer safe there may be more moisture trapped in there than you want to be warming up especially if you have gotten it recently during this cold weather.
    I have one of these for my safe (says Remington, but it looks exactly like the Eva-dry). I actually bought two from Sportsman Guide and when one changes color I replace it with the other then "re-charge" the other and store it in a plastic bag. Seems to be working as I have not had any rust issues with the firearms that are in the safe.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    I have one that looks exactly like that but says Remington on it. It hasnt changed color much and it has been in the safe for 4 months.

I have owned this safe for 3 years now. Unfortunately it is located in my garage which is not insulated.

My safe is in my garage as well with some insulation, I have the one that says Remingtion and it seems to be working well. Have not had any issues with the firearms that are stored in that safe.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    My safe is in my insulated garage without issue for the last 9 years. It rests on a rubber mat so moisture does not find its way to the safe.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Unless you have a humidity meter in the safe that records to memory the high and low, you really don't have any idea what's going on.
    Those heater sticks come in a variety of wattages. You may need a bigger one. But until you have a meter, you really don't know.

They work by slightly warming the inside of the safe above the room temp, which in turn reduces the relative humidity in the safe.

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    i bought one called the goldenrod 20 yrs ago when i bought my browning safe. its approximately 2 ft long and gets very warm. never had a gun or knife get any rust on them since. i remember it is made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I too have been using a Goldenrod for 20 years or so.
    Never had a problem with rust.

It works by raising the temperature inside the safe, so that the relative humidity is reduced.

whippo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Fill a pair of sweat socks with white rice not the minute stuff. Change in a month within 3 months it will be perfect

I wanted to clarify I also have a humidifier rod and highly suggest one for long term but when you first are trying to get it under control the rice helps very quickly. my suggestion was not a replacement for the rod!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I wanted to clarify I also have a humidifier rod and highly suggest one for long term but when you first are trying to get it under control the rice helps very quickly. my suggestion was not a replacement for the rod!

You may want to get a dehumidifyer rod... ;)

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    For my bigger safe that is in an uninsulated barn I have two golden rods in it one is on the bottom the other half way up! Also the safe is on a skid to keep it off the concrete. Then safe is 72" tall 40" wide and 30" deep.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    does setting the safe directly on concrete really allow a lot of moisture inside the safe? I never thought of that when installing mine and bolting it directly to the concrete.

Doubtful, but it may cause the bottom to rust out of the safe. You are trapping the moisture under the safe that will migrate out of the concrete.

Top Bottom