• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have started dehydrating my own veggies and looking to store them in mason jars. However, what I really wonder is how well they would store long term in mylar bags with o2 absorbers? Also, in the mason jars it seems that the jar attachment on my food saver is the only way to really store in mason jars. Does anyone do anything else to store fruits and vegetables?

Another topic for this thread is what are some good recipes that can be pre-mixed in a mason jar or food saver bag? I remember seeing someone do a bread mix that was stored in food saver bags. It would be nice to have a few things pre-mixed so that all you need is to add water and seasoning before cooking.

All info is appreciated!

Bazooka Joe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    South Central Indiana
    Are talking about a foodsaver lid for mason jars? Because I just bought a foodsaver attachment that seals the mason jars lids down to the jars, 9.99 each (small and large nouth jars) at rural king. And funny, I have been thinking of posting the same thing, what is everyone storing in them? I have everything from peppers, mushrooms, to rice in mine. I dont see why you couldnt store fruit in them, as long as you got a good book on dehydrating. I use Mary Bells Complete Dehydrator Cookbook. It also has plenty of recipes I have used a lot of them for hiking and havent come accross a bad recipe yet.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Not to drop names or anything :D
    But we just got into dehydrating as well. DHolder, a fine, upstanding citizen, member of INGO, and a personal friend of mine has been doing this for a long time and Knows his :poop:, when it comes to this.

Hopefully, he'll see this thread and jump in. If he doesn't, I'll make sure to bring it to his attention.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Not to drop names or anything :D
    But we just got into dehydrating as well. DHolder, a fine, upstanding citizen, member of INGO, and a personal friend of mine has been doing this for a long time and Knows his :poop:, when it comes to this.

Hopefully, he'll see this thread and jump in. If he doesn't, I'll make sure to bring it to his attention.
    I have talked to Dholder about it and yes he does know his stuff. I hope that he joins in as well as others so the forum can gain information from this.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I have seen the thread and I will post up some recipes this weekend. You guys are doing EXACTLY whay we need to do in this thread, ask questions and support each other! ( in my Arnie voice) I'll be bok!!!!

Foxfire

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Seymour
    I have wanted to get started in this for some time. Looks like a good time to take the plunge.
    Can you recommend a good reasonably priced Dehydrator?

Thanks Ed

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i wonder if the alton bown dehydrator will work? box fan and new furnace filters. he made jerkey this way on his show

jake

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have wanted to get started in this for some time. Looks like a good time to take the plunge.
    Can you recommend a good reasonably priced Dehydrator?

Thanks Ed

I just have a regular Nesco dehydrator and they are not expensive. If you want to go higher end then I believe Excalibur is the top of the line for home dehydrating.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I just have a regular Nesco dehydrator and they are not expensive. If you want to go higher end then I believe Excalibur is the top of the line for home dehydrating.

JW Rawles recommended the Excalibur, so after some independant research of our own, that's what we got. It's a very nice, compact, good looking piece of equipment. IIRC it ran around $200.00 shipped.

indiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Menards has a cheap one on clearance in fort wayne. $25.00 I got one last week and made my first spicy beef jerky. It was great, now I need to start using it and my save a meal together.

talshu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Here's my fave way to can chicken:
    Chicken....(breast is best) cut away all bones/skin/fat. Cut into 1/2" strips. Fill mason jar to one inch head space. Don't pack too tightly. Tsp salt optional. I don't use any. Do NOT add any liquid. Pressure can 10# for 90 min for quarts ... 10# 75 min for pints. The chicken cooks in it's own juices. This chicken is amazing when done!! It literally just falls apart!

talshu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Canning Hamburger:
    I cut up onions into my hamburger first. Pack hamburger into mason jars to one inch head space. Do NOT add liquid! Important... make a finger indentation in the middle of hamburger because it could cook up in the middle and pop your lid! Quarts cook 90 min at 10#. Pints cook 75 min at 10#. I get approx 2 lbs/qt. Awesome to have on hand for quick meals!

talshu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    An excellent source of canning recipes is the ball blue book. You can find it at most any store around their canning supplies. Once you have the jars and the canner, this is a very economical way of preserving your food. I have a half acre garden and can most of it every year!

Top Bottom