• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Du you mean to say that you have not voted in one single election in 17 years?
    That is an old wives tale! I had a Felony from 1990 until the end of last year on my record and I have held FFL's, IL FOID Card since 1995, Voted I dont know how many times, Passed a NATO Secret security clearance (US Navy)94-98 and have been a Federal Technician since 6/06 with a security clearance.
    I've never been delayed on a NICS check or denied. :D

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I do not believe Indiana disenfranchises former felons, only those incarcerated at the time of the election.

I could be mistaken and if so, I welcome the correction.

Blessings,
    Bill

No sir, you are absolutely correct. Indiana is one of the overwhelming majority of states which automatically restore a felon's right to vote upon completion of sentence.

Indiana Code said:
    IC 3-7-13-4
    Disfranchisement of prisoners
    Sec. 4. (a) A person who is:
    (1) convicted of a crime; and
    (2) imprisoned following conviction;
    is deprived of the right of suffrage by the general assembly pursuant to Article 2, Section 8 of the Constitution of the State of Indiana. (b) A person described in subsection (a) is ineligible to register under this article during the period that the person is:
    (1) imprisoned; or
    (2) otherwise subject to lawful detention.
    As added by P.L.12-1995, SEC.22.
    IC 3-7-13-5
    Restoration of right to vote
    Sec. 5. A person described in section 4 of this chapter who is otherwise qualified to register under this article is eligible to register when the person is no longer:
    (1) imprisoned; or
    (2) otherwise subject to lawful detention.

As added by P.L.12-1995, SEC.22. Amended by P.L.195-2003, SEC.1; P.L.118-2007, SEC.1.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    That is an old wives tale! I had a Felony from 1990 until the end of last year on my record and I have held FFL's, IL FOID Card since 1995, Voted I dont know how many times, Passed a NATO Secret security clearance (US Navy)94-98 and have been a Federal Technician since 6/06 with a security clearance.
    I've never been delayed on a NICS check or denied. :D

if you have a felony on your record, wouldn't you automatically be denied when you answered "yes" to question 11e on the 4473?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    if you have a felony on your record, wouldn't you automatically be denied when you answered "yes" to question 11e on the 4473?
    You WOULD NOT have to and should not answer yes on 11e since there is a clause (on the 4473) that if "your" firearm rights were restored in accordance with the state law, you answer no. Its been about 15 years i think, the clause was not there and i answered yes then and provided a copy of the Illinois State Police letter that reinstated my rights to own a firearm to the FFL guy that was all nervous about the "yes". I use to tell them trust me...im good...the NICS will come back with "proceed". I was a rare bird in Illinois...Felony and still could legally own a gun. Most FFL's that i dealed with had never ever delt with this scenario. I schooled 'em.

Anyone wanna see what a Pardon from the Governor of Illinois looks like? :D

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    You WOULD NOT have to and should not answer yes on 11e since there is a clause (on the 4473) that if "your" firearm rights were restored in accordance with the state law, you answer no. Its been about 15 years i think, the clause was not there and i answered yes then and provided a copy of the Illinois State Police letter that reinstated my rights to own a firearm to the FFL guy that was all nervous about the "yes". I use to tell them trust me...im good...the NICS will come back with "proceed". I was a rare bird in Illinois...Felony and still could legally own a gun. Most FFL's that i dealed with had never ever delt with this scenario. I schooled 'em.

Anyone wanna see what a Pardon from the Governor of Illinois looks like? :D

i was wondering if that was the case, but i'd figured i would ask. and yeah it says that people will expungements, pardons, rights restored can answer "no". thanks for the clarification. :yesway:

Top Bottom