• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I would think in the interest of educating INGO Members as to the rules, letting someone know WHY their thread was deleted would be helpful. Not to mention, it would seem the courteous thing to do. :D

Just my :twocents:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I would think in the interest of educating INGO Members as to the rules, letting someone know WHY their thread was deleted would be helpful. Not to mention, it would seem the courteous thing to do. :D

Just my :twocents:

I COULD be wrong, it HAS happened before, but I thought he deleted his OWN post!

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I COULD be wrong, it HAS happened before, but I thought he deleted his OWN post!

I was referring to one of my posts...:)

I just think that if Mods wrote a quick PM informing Members as to WHY the Mod deletes, moves etc a post it would save a lot of hassle for everyone. Instead of a Member PMing mods to find out why, then the Mod researching it, then getting back to the Member, a quick note would stop that.

One quick PM, as opposed to several back n forths....

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/members/shooter521.html

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Sending a PM to everyone involved in a thread could take a while. Maybe deleting all the posts in a thread, providing an explanation and leaving it locked but viewable for a day or two? I've been curious about a couple of threads that I've posted in, but either sending a PM or having the mod PM everyone would take an inordinate amount of time.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I've had posts deleted before without a mod explanation. It was when I first signed up with INGO. I can't remember if it was something I may have missed from the rules but I think they delete more posts than we realize and they would spend (waste in most cases) a lot of time contacting each deleted post's owner.

That being said, IndyRoadie (Jim) is a stand up guy and contributes a lot to the forum. If you've only had one post or thread deleted, don't let it affect (or is that effect? I never can remember) your perception of this forum.

Was it the minus one thread?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've had posts deleted before without a mod explanation. It was when I first signed up with INGO. I can't remember if it was something I may have missed from the rules but I think they delete more posts than we realize and they would spend (waste in most cases) a lot of time contacting each deleted post's owner.

That being said, IndyRoadie (Jim) is a stand up guy and contributes a lot to the forum. If you've only had one post or thread deleted, don't let it affect (or is that effect? I never can remember) your perception of this forum.

That's it

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

Yeah, that was it. I assumed it was the proper place because there is a +1 thread there as well....

That's what I get for assuming, heh.

Thanks for the kind words my friend. It doesn't change MY perception of the Forum, it does make me wish there as a little more consistency though...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i think they delete +1 threads if its for a member with fewer than 50 posts since they shouldn't be using the classifieds. ive had quite a few threads deleted normally due to forgetting to add wtb or wts or somthing minor. i just re do it and since its normally somthing i knew just forgot to add the first time it goes through the second time.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    i think they delete +1 threads if its for a member with fewer than 50 posts since they shouldn't be using the classifieds. ive had quite a few threads deleted normally due to forgetting to add wtb or wts or somthing minor. i just re do it and since its normally somthing i knew just forgot to add the first time it goes through the second time.

Yeah, but look at my post count, lol

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Ok, just to kill this thread... and in the interest of group education....

Looking at the post in question, it looks like you were commenting on a merchant, not a member of the site. It also looks like the thread was started in the wrong forum and was moved to the correct forum. Then it looks like the thread was closed, giving the shop a chance to respond, and then finally it was moved by a different moderator to the trash can.

So, item A: it *may* have been deleted because it was not posted in the correct forum (Should have gone in Good, Bad & Ugly -> Local Gun Shops).
    Item B: it *may* have been deleted because it did not follow the rules. (Threads in this forum do not get a +1 or a -1. You search for the shop to see if a thread exists already, and if it does, add to it; if it doesn't, start a new thread. FYI: this shop already has a thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/local_gun_shops/58497-indy_trading_post.html).
    Item C: the reason given by the moderator who deleted it is that you were complaining about prices, and that moderator wasn't sure this shop deserved a whole -1 thread just for that. Given the time of year and the political climate, I'm inclined to agree with that mod, although I wouldn't have removed the thread, personally.

On the topic of sending a PM with every thread or post that is deleted... we don't have time for that. If we're feeling generous, we might send a note to the OP. Or, if it's a n00b to the site and they're just not getting the whole no-one-liners concept, we *might* send them a polite PM to let the new guy know why his or her posts keep getting deleted. (Although to be honest, those PMs generally get sent because we're getting tired of/can't keep up with/don't have time to be deleting posts that come faster than we can delete them.)

But to recap what is written in the rules, in the FAQ, in your welcome-to-INGO message: Moderators reserve the right to delete posts without warning and without notification, especially if it is posted in the wrong forum or breaks a rule.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Ok, just to kill this thread... and in the interest of group education....

Looking at the post in question, it looks like you were commenting on a merchant, not a member of the site. It also looks like the thread was started in the wrong forum and was moved to the correct forum. Then it looks like the thread was closed, giving the shop a chance to respond, and then finally it was moved by a different moderator to the trash can.

So, item A: it *may* have been deleted because it was not posted in the correct forum (Should have gone in Good, Bad & Ugly -> Local Gun Shops).
    Item B: it *may* have been deleted because it did not follow the rules. (Threads in this forum do not get a +1 or a -1. You search for the shop to see if a thread exists already, and if it does, add to it; if it doesn't, start a new thread. FYI: this shop already has a thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/local_gun_shops/58497-indy_trading_post.html).
    Item C: the reason given by the moderator who deleted it is that you were complaining about prices, and that moderator wasn't sure this shop deserved a whole -1 thread just for that. Given the time of year and the political climate, I'm inclined to agree with that mod, although I wouldn't have removed the thread, personally.

On the topic of sending a PM with every thread or post that is deleted... we don't have time for that. If we're feeling generous, we might send a note to the OP. Or, if it's a n00b to the site and they're just not getting the whole no-one-liners concept, we *might* send them a polite PM to let the new guy know why his or her posts keep getting deleted. (Although to be honest, those PMs generally get sent because we're getting tired of/can't keep up with/don't have time to be deleting posts that come faster than we can delete them.

But to recap what is written in the rules, in the FAQ, in your welcome-to-INGO message: Moderators reserve the right to delete posts without warning and without notification, especially if it is posted in the wrong forum or breaks a rule.

I understand that this is your house, your rules (or Fenway's that is) but telling me my post is deleted because it had a +1 or -1....well I posted it there because there was already a +1 THERE. lol

If it was in the wrong place, why not just move it? Why move, then delete?
    It just seems like it was deleted because it was negative. and the other positive thread left open, even though it violated the rules too, so I was just confused...I really am not trying to be difficult, I am just trying to understand here.

I understand where you are coming from about time involved sending PMs etc, HOWEVER, when a thread is deleted in an inconsitant manner, and the OP is not told why, it leads to questions being asked. Would that not have been prevented, AND saved time, if a simple 20 second PM would have been sent to me?

I am not a n00b, I am not a post whore, I am not a trouble maker, I am a Member who made a mistake and wanted to understand..:dunno:

Just saying...

Last edited:

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Not trying to ruffle feathers. But to -1 my store over a phone call and a price you did not like. If we quoted prices everyday on the phone of what we have in the store, I would have to hire a full time employee to answer the phone and quote prices. I don't remember your call. We have 9mm winchester target ammo 15 dollars for 50 rounds. If you told me you were an ingo member I would knock a buck off and it would be 14. There may be some ammo at that price you said. I bought some wrong when I first started this business. I am learning. I wish you would have contacted me first rather than to base your entire feelings about my business on a phone call. If someone was rude, cussed at you or whatever, okay. It is tough to start a business and I am proud of where we are even though we still may or may not make it. You are entitled to your opinion of course. And you are welcome to come to the store and check us out as well.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Not trying to ruffle feathers. But to -1 my store over a phone call and a price you did not like. If we quoted prices everyday on the phone of what we have in the store, I would have to hire a full time employee to answer the phone and quote prices. I don't remember your call. We have 9mm winchester target ammo 15 dollars for 50 rounds. If you told me you were an ingo member I would knock a buck off and it would be 14. There may be some ammo at that price you said. I bought some wrong when I first started this business. I am learning. I wish you would have contacted me first rather than to base your entire feelings about my business on a phone call. If someone was rude, cussed at you or whatever, okay. It is tough to start a business and I am proud of where we are even though we still may or may not make it. You are entitled to your opinion of course. And you are welcome to come to the store and check us out as well.

I will admit that perhaps I handled it wrong here, but as God is my witness that is what I was told on the phone.

I called and asked whoever answered what the cheapest price on 9mm target ammo was. I was told "$21.50 and up" I replied "For 50rds of target ammo??" and was told "yup". i said "no thanks" and hung up.

Apparently there was a miscommunication somewhere...

I apologize for how I handled it, thank you for your post. Promise you won't shoot me if I apologize in person? :D
    :draw::ar15::draw:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

IndyRoadie and I exchanged several PMs on the subject prior to his posting here; evidently the answers I provided weren't satisfactory. :dunno:

Here's what I told him:

The thread was removed because:

1) Feedback threads should pertain to an actual transaction or shopping experience (not just complaining about a price quoted over the phone), and should not include "+1" or "-1" in the title, per the posted rules.

2) it was in the wrong location; feedback threads as defined above should go in the "Local Gun Shops" section of the Good/Bad/Ugly subforum, rather than in the vendor's own subforum.

If you would like to make a post complaining about a vendor's ammo pricing, feel free to do so in the Ammunition and Reloading subforum.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    I will admit that perhaps I handled it wrong here, but as God is my witness that is what I was told on the phone.

I called and asked whoever answered what the cheapest price on 9mm target ammo was. I was told "$21.50 and up" I replied "For 50rds of target ammo??" and was told "yup". i said "no thanks" and hung up.

Apparently there was a miscommunication somewhere...

I apologize for how I handled it, thank you for your post. Promise you won't shoot me if I apologize in person? :D
    :draw::ar15::draw:
    I think I know who you talked to. It was not me. I apologize. If he had checked the cabinet there was some in there. But like I said it is tough at times. Especially when we get busy and we have people calling wanting prices. If I had the time I would be happy to accomadate everyone but you find out quickly that you can't. You are more than welcome to come by the store. I won't shoot you but now you will have to pay double for the ammo. LOL. Hope to see you soon. Thanks.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    IndyRoadie and I exchanged several PMs on the subject prior to his posting here; evidently the answers I provided weren't satisfactory. :dunno:

Here's what I told him:

The thread was removed because:

1) Feedback threads should pertain to an actual transaction or shopping experience (not just complaining about a price quoted over the phone), and should not include "+1" or "-1" in the title, per the posted rules.

2) it was in the wrong location; feedback threads as defined above should go in the "Local Gun Shops" section of the Good/Bad/Ugly subforum, rather than in the vendor's own subforum.

If you would like to make a post complaining about a vendor's ammo pricing, feel free to do so in the Ammunition and Reloading subforum.

I am not sure what one has to do with the other...

I made a SUGGESTION in my OP here.

I am sorry, I thought this was the Suggestion Forum, my bad.

..should not include "+1" or "-1" in the title, per the posted rules.

..as I stated before, I posted it where I did because there was already a +1 THERE....

You know what? Nevermind...I like it here too much to get banned over this, so feel free to close it before it escalates further...

mea culpa

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom