• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    So I recently purchased a new recliner from a furniture store. So far I love it and I would be happy to share brand name/price/location if anyone is interested. Anyway, these guys wanted to charge me $99 for delivery. They said that it is a flat fee whether they are delivering a coat rack or 3 living room sets. Well maybe it is a decent deal for multiple sets, but that seemed outrageous for my recliner.

My wife and I only have compact cars, so using our vehicles wasn't an option. I decided to rent a truck. I went to the closest Home Depot and rented their truck for $19. With the distance I ended up needed another couple hours. My total cost was $44 including gas for the truck.

So here's my question. With it being so easy to save $50+, who pays for delivery of stuff like this? Man I wish I had a pickup truck sometimes. Well, really only on rare occasions and then I remember my fuel mileage with my car and :D

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Lots of people pay it just out of sheer laziness. That's what they are counting on. The last time I bought furniture, the store didn't keep any of it in stock. They had everything delivered from their warehouse and charged you for it. I told them I have my own truck and I'll just pick it up at the store. They said there was still a delivery charge for bringing it to the store. I promptly told them I would not be paying for delivery when I'm willing to pick it up myself and if they wanted the sale they would waive their fee. They said that was against policy and refused so I left. A few days later I got a call from a manager saying if I came back in they would be willing to waive the delivery fee. I went in and as I was looking over the paperwork I notice they had adjusted the prices to cover it. I told them nice try and said you've got one chance to correct this before I leave forever and report this to the BBB, Angie's list and anybody else I can think of. I ended up with a 10% discount off the original price without the delivery fee.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    A few days later I got a call from a manager saying if I came back in they would be willing to waive the delivery fee. I went in and as I was looking over the paperwork I notice they had adjusted the prices to cover it. I told them nice try and said you've got one chance to correct this before I leave forever and report this to the BBB, Angie's list and anybody else I can think of. I ended up with a 10% discount off the original price without the delivery fee.
    I'll bet the manager who called was Jack Cass!

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've paid it once because I was buying an expensive mattress set and it would've been just me bringing it in the house and dragging the old one out. I think it was $50 but that was also the disposal of the old set. I'm not a big fan of moving queen sized "extra thick" pillow tops. I think the mattress is like 19" thick and there aren't any handles. Would've been an interesting one person job. If I know I'll have help and the item easily fits in my truck, I'll just do it myself (and its more about not wanting strangers tromping through the house).

jp828108

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Clermont
    i just paid around 100 dollars to have a reclining love seat and sleeper sofa delivered, seeing the two men that do this every day for a living struggling to get these monstrosities into my living room...... money well spent. had it been only a recliner i would have totally gotten it myself, i do have a truck, but two big couches, would have taken me at least two trips (truck is a Colorado) and i would have had to get at least one or two people to help me get them inside my house.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I paid the 50$ delivery fee on my sofa for the simple reason of I didn't want to try and manhandle it up a set of stairs. Worth it to just pay the money and have someone else drop it off.

I was also willing to have paid it on my TV (65" lcd, not condusive to moving) but they store waved it because the original one I had wanted was out of stock.

RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    Furniture delivery is one of those things you can usually haggle on. They might not drop the price on whatever you are trying to buy but they can add services/extras more easily.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I am looking at safes, and I will be paying someone to move it, There is no Way I am going to try and move one up a set of stairs. Chiropractors are just as expensive.

Top Bottom