• ...and so much more!
  • ruger17hmr

Shooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    Indy
    Dell Laptop 7 'Beeps' of DEATH

Anyone have any experiences with Dell Laptop 7 'Beeps' of DEATH?
    My relatively new(18 months old) Dell 15R just encountered the problem and I am not technically savvy enough to revive it. I have done some research on it for the past a couple of hours. It seems there are a ton of Dell owners with same issue, which means it is a rather common problem among Dell Laptops.

What I have done so far.
    1. Power recycling
    2. Fn and F1,F2.......F11,F12 and repeat.
    3. Reseated Memory

Any feedback/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You've got a bad CPU (possibly the motherboard, but most likely the CPU). If it's still under warranty, call Dell. If it's not, you can attempt to replace the CPU yourself. It's not overly difficult, but will involve pretty much taking the thing completely apart.

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    Done some reading sounds like its the motherboard a normal problem with these. some people did all you did and also tried each memory module on its own just to see if one was bad also they tried taking out cd rom if possible and taking out battery and trying to start it just plugged in.

i looked up the mother board there anywhere from 160 to 300. you can go to best buy and buy a 299 brand new laptop all day thats what im on right now and it works fine. just my two cents even the cheapest repair is going to be well over 200.

ruger17hmr

Shooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    Indy
    Done some reading sounds like its the motherboard a normal problem with these. some people did all you did and also tried each memory module on its own just to see if one was bad also they tried taking out cd rom if possible and taking out battery and trying to start it just plugged in.

i looked up the mother board there anywhere from 160 to 300. you can go to best buy and buy a 299 brand new laptop all day thats what im on right now and it works fine. just my two cents even the cheapest repair is going to be well over 200.

I am hoping it is CPU issue which could be repaired for around $100.
    But, there is no way of knowing ( at least for me, let me know if there is a way to detect specifically CPU or mother board is causing the problem) unless one or other is replaced.

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    I am hoping it is CPU issue which could be repaired for around $100.
    But, there is no way of knowing ( at least for me, let me know if there is a way to detect specifically CPU or mother board is causing the problem) unless one or other is replaced.

sorry just read this again in my experience CPU is a much slimmer chance of going bad, not impossible but unfortunately i don't know a way to figure it out without replacing one or the other, now i am not a computer tech but i think if you took it to one it would probably be 50 dollars or more to figure it out then 100 or more if it was the CPU so not sure if its worth it to you.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Dell = Junk - Sorry

Not sure there is a decent laptop out there any more, they make them all so cheap now there is no shock protection in them, the power supplies are cheap Chinese crap...

Good luck!

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Dell = Junk - Sorry

Not sure there is a decent laptop out there any more, they make them all so cheap now there is no shock protection in them, the power supplies are cheap Chinese crap...

Good luck!

If you want a good labtop, get a business class model of any major manufacturer. They cost more but are built better. Another option would to get one from a computer repair/service shop.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you get a CPU and it doesn't fix it, just sell it again along with the rest of your laptop's parts. The CPU, RAM and hard disk can probably get you a few bucks to put toward a new one.

Check out lenovo's outlet or find someone that has a .edu address. Lenovo offers some good discounts for students.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Glad to hear you got it figured out ruger. :)

Dell = Junk - Sorry

Yep, that's been our experience. 4 of them between my wife and I. Dell products were decent before everything went overseas. Major league downhill slide since. We learned our lesson the hard way. Never again.

Not sure there is a decent laptop out there any more...

MacBook. Expensive, but worth every penny.

ruger17hmr

Shooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    Indy
    What is reflowing the motherboard?

Edit: did u actually re-solder the motherboard? If so, that is cool!

I did not have to re-solder, thank god for that!

I had to disassemble the laptop and heated the GPU and CPU with heat gun.

My laptop has been fine since then (that was about 3 weeks ago). No issues what so ever.

Top Bottom