• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    Suitcase get opened and things get stolen from them by baggage handlers more often than you think. It isn't at all rare. YMMV.

And this is why you use a properly sturdy metal case, and use a proper padlock from a reputable manufacturer (if flying with a firearm). Baggage handlers want things they can stuff in their pants or in a small duffel inconspicuously. Harder to steal a large 30-pound chest.

Yes, it attracts attention, but there's a point at which your security measures are more of a hassle than an attraction for a potential thief.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Good heavens. That's the point. No way to know until you leave the premises to get tools to cut off the frigging zip ties. Sheesh. It's a solution searching for a problem.

Wouldn't it be a solution to this problem?

Suitcase get opened and things get stolen from them by baggage handlers more often than you think. It isn't at all rare. YMMV.

If it keeps you out of your bag until you've had time to work at it with tools, it also keeps those thieving baggage handlers out of it.

I do agree you should have some warning, though, or provide you the tool to remove it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I recall reading that there's a way to defeat the zipper of a bag without evidence of it being done being readily visible from the outside... a pen to separate the teeth, then run the zipper over the spot you used to enter the bag.

It would seem to me that the better solution would be to ziptie EVERY bag. If one in 250 has a gun in it, and they're all ziptied, are the thieves going to go through all of them? Unlikely. Not impossible, but unless there are several members of a group in on it, difficult at best. The sign would still set it apart, so maybe one bag in 50 gets the tag randomly, kinda like TSA randomly picks out some folks for "extra screening".

Make it disappear into the crowd and your gun will be more likely to be there at your destination.

Blessings,
    Bill

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Bend the tooth holding the ziplocked zipper pull, unzip bag, replace zipper tab, push zipper tab tooth closed with pliers, pushing the teeth open with a flat tip may or may not allow you to rezip over it, but what the hey, the bag thief(s) don't care.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I recall reading that there's a way to defeat the zipper of a bag without evidence of it being done being readily visible from the outside... a pen to separate the teeth, then run the zipper over the spot you used to enter the bag.

It would seem to me that the better solution would be to ziptie EVERY bag. If one in 250 has a gun in it, and they're all ziptied, are the thieves going to go through all of them? Unlikely. Not impossible, but unless there are several members of a group in on it, difficult at best. The sign would still set it apart, so maybe one bag in 50 gets the tag randomly, kinda like TSA randomly picks out some folks for "extra screening".

Make it disappear into the crowd and your gun will be more likely to be there at your destination.

Blessings,
    Bill

How would you run the zipper over it if it's zip tied? If you can run the zipper, why bother to use anything other than the zipper to "defeat" the zipper?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    How would you run the zipper over it if it's zip tied? If you can run the zipper, why bother to use anything other than the zipper to "defeat" the zipper?

I think the idea is that one would bend the little piece on the slider body that holds the pull tab on. Then run the body to undo the zipper. Then run it back, and put the pull tab back on (which would stay ziptied).

(That's how I pictured it in my head anyway.)

Zippers that have 2 slider bodies with interlocking metal loops that are locked together [1] are defeated in a different manner [2].

Bottom line, most zippers aren't all that secure. It's all about layers/defense in depth. Throw up enough layers and it's just not worth the trouble.

I kind of like the idea of serialized zip ties as a tamper evident sort of thing. [3]

[1] - http://blog.tortugabackpacks.com/wp-content/uploads/tortuga-travel-backpack-locking-zippers-closeup-600.jpeg
    [2] -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpIJVWXsBBI
    [3] -
    http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/images/serialized-flag-ties/serialized-flag-ties.png

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Good question. The way I saw it demonstrated, two zipper pull-heads were zip-tied together. Bust through the zipper track with a pen or something and then run the zipper over it to reconnect the teeth.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Gun rental kiosks at the airport, so you can leave yours at home while traveling?

YES!

Or some Air BnB thing - I'm traveling in Europe so my gun is at home; I can rent it out to people coming to Ft. Wayne. Million dollar idea right there.

Top Bottom