Delton custom upper build. How does this look?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Hey everyone. I'm getting ready to sell my 20" dpms AR because I really want a 16" upper made to my liking. I've decided on Delton because I've read a ton of good reviews on this board about them. I also like the fact that their website allows you to custom build an AR. Since this and will be my only AR for sometime I want it built exactly the way I want. I'm looking at a Palmetto State Armory complete lower that I will have engraved by Orion Arms with the 37th Tank Battalion symbol on it (my grandpa's tank battalion in WW2. OK on to the specs:

Item Name: 16" Mid-Length Custom Upper
    Item Price: $630.00
    Options:
    16 Custom Upper -ML Barrel:DTI 16" 1x9 Mid-Length Chrome Lined Heavy Barrel
    Custom Upper -BC:Standard Bolt & Carrier
    16 Custom Upper -ML Handguards:YHM 4 Rail Free Float Tube
    Custom Upper -Gas Block:YHM Flip Up Front Gas Block
    Custom Upper -Flash Hider:Phantom Aggressive End Comp/Brake
    Custom Upper -Upper:Flat Top Upper with M4 Feed Ramps
    Custom Upper -Charging Handle:Standard Charging Handle
    Custom Upper -Carrying Handle:None

I'll only be shooting 55gr. and 62gr ammo so the 1x9 rifling seemed fitting. I chose the chrome-lining because I'm paranoid like that and am not convinced that I'm going to see decreased accuracy compared to SS.

My main concern about this build right now will be the weight of the rifle. For some reason I want a heavy barrel. I read a few things about lightweight barrels vs. heavy barrels and the thing that convinced me to go towards a heavy barrel was the decrease in kick that I will feel. I' m used to shooting my 5.45 Saiga which is like shooting a .22, so I'd like to get close to that.

Anyway, with the yankee hill flip up FSB, heavy barrel, and end comp/brake along with the free float handguard I have a feeling that the rifle will be a top heavy?

What do you guys think?

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Hey everyone. I'm getting ready to sell my 20" dpms AR because I really want a 16" upper made to my liking. I've decided on Delton because I've read a ton of good reviews on this board about them. I also like the fact that their website allows you to custom build an AR. Since this and will be my only AR for sometime I want it built exactly the way I want. I'm looking at a Palmetto State Armory complete lower that I will have engraved by Orion Arms with the 37th Tank Battalion symbol on it (my grandpa's tank battalion in WW2. OK on to the specs:

Item Name: 16" Mid-Length Custom Upper
    Item Price: $630.00
    Options:
    16 Custom Upper -ML Barrel:DTI 16" 1x9 Mid-Length Chrome Lined Heavy Barrel
    Custom Upper -BC:Standard Bolt & Carrier
    16 Custom Upper -ML Handguards:YHM 4 Rail Free Float Tube
    Custom Upper -Gas Block:YHM Flip Up Front Gas Block
    Custom Upper -Flash Hider:Phantom Aggressive End Comp/Brake
    Custom Upper -Upper:Flat Top Upper with M4 Feed Ramps
    Custom Upper -Charging Handle:Standard Charging Handle
    Custom Upper -Carrying Handle:None

I'll only be shooting 55gr. and 62gr ammo so the 1x9 rifling seemed fitting. I chose the chrome-lining because I'm paranoid like that and am not convinced that I'm going to see decreased accuracy compared to SS.

My main concern about this build right now will be the weight of the rifle. For some reason I want a heavy barrel. I read a few things about lightweight barrels vs. heavy barrels and the thing that convinced me to go towards a heavy barrel was the decrease in kick that I will feel. I' m used to shooting my 5.45 Saiga which is like shooting a .22, so I'd like to get close to that.

Anyway, with the yankee hill flip up FSB, heavy barrel, and end comp/brake along with the free float handguard I have a feeling that the rifle will be a top heavy?

What do you guys think?

I dont know about anyone else but always thought the 5.56 had minimal recoil like a .22 every time I have shot one.

SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I don't know from experience, just what I read somewhere that the heavier barrel will handle recoil noticeably better and be hold better accuracy. It will not heat up as fast but then again not cool down as quick. But that extra 1lb. on a 7lb. rifle will be a noticeable weight gain and along with the 4 rail free float handguard I'm probably looking at a top heavy gun here, which is a concern to me.

To be honest I would rather have a lighter AR so my sister can handle it easier incase the zombies come :ar15:. She doesn't like my 20" heavy barreled DPMS.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I just got a DD upper with a FF quad rail and went with the lightweight profile barrel. The gun is right around 6.5lbs unloaded with that barrel and rail. The YHM rail is a bit heavier as well, 17.5oz compared to the OmegaX at 11.7.

I'm not trying to sway you any which way, just giving you something to compare to.

SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I just got a DD upper with a FF quad rail and went with the lightweight profile barrel. The gun is right around 6.5lbs unloaded with that barrel and rail. The YHM rail is a bit heavier as well, 17.5oz compared to the OmegaX at 11.7.

I'm not trying to sway you any which way, just giving you something to compare to.

awesome, how does it shoot? is your barrel a chrome lined or SS?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have a Chromelined Delton 16" HBAR Middy upper. Shoots great, and actually balances very well with an A2 stock. Was able to hit an old helium tank (8" diameter) at 200 yds with open sights this weekend.

Seems like it has decent accuracy and isn't overly heavy. On the other hand, it will not ever be in the "Light weight" category.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Barrel is chrome moly I believe. The thing shoots like a champ, and as far as felt recoil, even as light as mine is, the recoil only a bit more than a .22lr

SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I have a Chromelined Delton 16" HBAR Middy upper. Shoots great, and actually balances very well with an A2 stock. Was able to hit an old helium tank (8" diameter) at 200 yds with open sights this weekend.

Seems like it has decent accuracy and isn't overly heavy. On the other hand, it will not ever be in the "Light weight" category.

Is your handguard free float?

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I bet you will be pleased with the 16" lightweight barrel. And it will be a much better gun for your Sister.
    I have a 16" lightweight that I really like. It is set up bare bones.
    I often walk quite a ways and it carries good.

Top Bottom