• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Is there a difference worth talking about?

394884_4492574148434_344441967_n.jpg

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Do you have sources for the individual images? Not that I don't trust you, I just feel that this could be easily manipulated.

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Is there a difference worth talking about?

394884_4492574148434_344441967_n.jpg

This map is really misleading, so although I like what it is trying to do I don't think it would be a good image to share around. Here are some serious problems with the image:

1. The text "More Legally Owned Guns = Less Crimes" is not supported anywhere by the maps. The maps show ONLY the incidence of gun violence (map 1), and the percentage of Obama/Romney votes (map 2). There is no data whatsoever about gun ownership levels. This glaring error is immediately obvious from only a quick glance at the image.
    2. Both "incidence" of "gun violence" are poor statistical constructs. To have any ability to make comparisons, "incidence" (which means occurrence) should instead be something like a rate (e.g. the rate of "gun violence" by 100,000 population). Also, what does "gun violence" mean? This is way too vague to allow any sort of useful analysis.

By just an "eyeball analysis", the map does appear to show a weak to moderate correlation between incidence of gun violence and percent Obama/Romney vote within counties. This of course does not mean, in any possible way, that a higher concentration of Democratic voters leads to more gun violence. To make such a claim would require a causal (not correlative) analysis taking into account several potentially confounding factors. For example, a very basic other factor that jumps out to me when I look at the map is urban areas. Since it is reasonable to suspect that urban areas are more likely than rural areas to have high levels of gun violence, AND that urban areas are more likely to have higher levels of Obama votes, an urban/rural variable would have to be included in any analysis of the causal relationship between gun violence and Obama votes.

My point is that this is image portrays a glaringly poor analysis and totally inappropriate conclusion. However much we may want to believe the conclusion to be true, sharing images like this around the internet makes us look silly at best.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Just look at the big cities that have high gun violence for your answers. Chicago, NYC, D.C. , how did those cities vote? And who is allowed to own guns in them.

Even if the map is suggestive and not probative, it makes sense in that most O-voters are in urban areas, which also have more restrictive gun laws (and higher gun crime rates). If you were to map mental illness or STDs it would probably show about the same distribution. Hmm?

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Even if the map is suggestive and not probative, it makes sense in that most O-voters are in urban areas, which also have more restrictive gun laws (and higher gun crime rates). If you were to map mental illness or STDs it would probably show about the same distribution. Hmm?

But the map ISN'T suggestive of any relationship between levels of gun ownership and gun violence. It CAN'T be suggestive of such a relationship because there is no "gun ownership" data on the map. You just can't say C is related to (let alone causes) B, when the only data is between A and B. There may very well be a relationship between gun ownership and gun crime (in fact, there is), but such a relationship is simply not displayed or even implied by this map.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Norsk, you are technically correct. Correlation doesn't equal causation. The map may also be misinterpreted as saying that democrats cause a disproportionate number of violent crimes. It might also say that violent crime tends to make voters turn democrat.

Either way, the way I like to interpret the map is that if we ban democrats, we reduce gun violence.:D

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well, let's compare the demographics for both the Democrat and Republican parties, and the demographics associated with violent crime.

Sources:
    For Democrats: Economic Demographics of Democrats & Liberals
    From Republicans:
    For Crime: FBI — Crime in the U.S. 2011, unless otherwise noted.

Democrats - East and West Coasts, concentrated in large urban centers.
    Republicans - South and Midwest, outside of urban areas.
    Crime - Metropolitan counties: 410/100,000
    Non-metropolitan counties: 186:100,000

Income:
    Democrats - at least 63% are below poverty levels. However, about 60% of the ultra-wealthy are Democrats as well.
    Republicans - Higher percentage between $50K and $200K.
    Crime - Income inequality (haves and have-not's) is strongly correlated with violent crime (Social capital, income inequality, and firearm v... [Soc Sci Med. 1998] - PubMed - NCBI). Also, poverty has LONG been associated with violent crime (Poverty, Income Inequality, and Violent Crime: A Meta-Analysis of Recent Aggregate Data Studies)

Education:
    Democrats - Two distinct groups: those without a highschool diploma, and those with post-graduate degrees.
    Republicans - Highschool grads, some college, and college graduates.
    Crime - There is a negative correlation between education level and crime (http://economics.uwo.ca/faculty/lochner/papers/educationandcrime.pdf)

Race:
    Democrats - roughly 90% of African -Americans vote Democrat, and 60-70% of Hispanics.
    Republicans - about 87% non-Hispanic White.
    Crime - (murder) 48% White, 49.7% Black

Now, these are a VERY broad set of brushes. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Top Bottom