• ...and so much more!
  • Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    You know that is quite interesting. As I watched him do the initial dis-assembly I could not help but think, hmm that is remarkably like my HK 91..... ;)

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    well, I know what my first modification would be if I ever buy a SCAR.

Get rid of those darn torxs bits! ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    why would you get rid of the torx bolts? the head has a much higher holding strength than a regular hex and less prone to stripping.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Im guessing you haven't worked with that many torx, or should I say have never owned a jeep? ;)

as for having a higher holding strength, I think the only thing they hold is the end of the bit while it breaks from from the base ;)

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Im guessing you haven't worked with that many torx, or should I say have never owned a jeep? ;)

as for having a higher holding strength, I think the only thing they hold is the end of the bit while it breaks from from the base ;)
    If you're applying that much torque to the SCAR bolts, there's something wrong with what you're doing. :) 62 inch/lbs isn't going to break even the cheapest torx wrench.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Probably true! but over time they just turn into a pain in the butt. Granted, how often are you going to pull the barrel in the life of the rifle, probably not much.

I still dont like Torx. :)

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy

if you drag the SCAR offroad, and through salt & snow every winter, then yes, in 20 years, when it still runs like a top with +200k on it, those bolts will be a PITA whether they're Torx, allen, or hex head

this vid does make me want one more though

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    Actually the major component disassembly is very similar to an HK91. Pull the pins, pull the stock, drop the lower, pull out the bolt and op rod assembly. That is what I was referring to. I hope you did not take this as a slam on the SCAR, I like it and have followed its development for several years. I just noted some similar steps in the major disassembly. As an old USMC marksmanship instructor I tend to look at things that lend themselves to a reduction in training time as one changes from one weapon system to another.

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    if you drag the SCAR offroad, and through salt & snow every winter, then yes, in 20 years, when it still runs like a top with +200k on it, those bolts will be a PITA whether they're Torx, allen, or hex head

this vid does make me want one more though

worst one i ever had was a 1 month old 2003 TJ w/ 700 miles on it! I dont even mess with the old ones, just break out the plasma and kill it! ;)

Top Bottom