• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trpanther

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have been delayed 2 times. The first handgun I bought, no problem after that I have been delayed each time, neither my wife or my son ever get delayed. we all put our ssi# on the form. I have no idea what is going on.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I worked in a gun shop antil about a year ago and we had some days that almost everybody was delayed. The way it worked then is if you were delayed we held the gun for you and if we did not hear back from the ATF if 3 days then we could transfer it. Most of the time the ATF called back and said to proceed with the transfer. We had a pamphlet from the ATF to hand out with information to use for people who were delayed or denied. Some people called the numbers and mailed to the addresses on the paper and said it was alot of call transferring and recieving generic replies. I hope I never have to go through that crap.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I have never been delayed, but a couple of years ago while making a purchase at Bradis, the call clearance took longer than usual. The guy calling in told me that the BATF switched me over to the FBI for clearance. Anyone ever hear of that happening to them and for what reason? I got cleared in a couple of minutes, but it just seemed a little curious to me as to why that happened.

Mike_M

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Beautiful Milan
    If you are purchasing a qualified Curio & Relic firearm (BATF has a list) and you have a C&R FFL (Type 03), you can buy without the NICS check. But, only qualified firearms. In fact you can even buy by mail across state lines. It's a beautiful thing that even casual collectors should have.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I got delayed ,but got it today.Just hate to make a extra trip.I liked the days when you could show your LTC and take it home right then and there.Anyway I got it.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    If you are purchasing a qualified Curio & Relic firearm (BATF has a list) and you have a C&R FFL (Type 03), you can buy without the NICS check. But, only qualified firearms. In fact you can even buy by mail across state lines. It's a beautiful thing that even casual collectors should have.

Not to divert the thread too much, but you'd be surprised how many dealers don't understand how to deal with C&R's or refuse to accept them in lieu of a 4473. Dealers at the shows are especially that way. It's nice when they do understand it and use it because the transaction is just a matter of handing them a license copy and logging it. Online purchases are usually smooth as silk, though.

I guess it's not a total thread hijack, because the point buried in all this is if you get a C&R, don't expect it will always get you around an NICS check on a C&R purchase but it can squash a lot of it.

Unless you happen to like those plastic and/or black guns. ;)

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Still waiting here.....although it makes no difference since I'm 140 miles from home. I did get to check out a heck of a indoor range/gun shop tonight. Welcome to Target World DAMN you Dicks sporting goods !! I want my Mossberg 930 SPX :(

If you got delayed at Dicks ,forget it. They wont sell it to you. At least thats what the Clarksville store told me. We went around on the law ,but they said it was their policy. Unless they get a call back, they wont sell it to you. I never have gotten a call back on a delay.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I just called them, and you are infact correct. What a load of crap !! The ATF has until Thursday to call them back. I asked if they didn't call back if I could resubmit my form to try again, and they said they would call the ATF back for an approval status, but if they put me on hold again there would be no sale. If that happens, I will NEVER shop at Dicks Sporting Goods again.

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Zombie Thread! It came back alive. Went to Applied Ballistics today, try to buy a Romanian AK and was delayed the purchase. I feel kind of special because its my first but also annoyed. I thought it was kind of strange considering I have had a C&R license since November but oh well. Guess I get to play the waiting game.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm on number 3 soon to be 4 and 5 when the twins come in. it'll suprise me if I dont get delayed on them. Never bought 2 guns at one time ,do you have to fill out a form 4 each weapon?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    The local FFL I use is an LEO. He said he has been delayed a few times before and has even done a transfer for a local FBI agent and the agent was delayed!!!!! Crazy stuff!

wheels47933

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    i got delayed at the gun show Friday.. got a call from the dealer yesterday that i was approved going to pick up today... and before he called the ATF i told him i was gonna get delayed happens every time so i left my number with him..

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have gotten delayed on every single gun I have purchased in the last 10 years. imagine my surprise when I picked up a used pistol at Gander Mountain last week and it went through... I told the guy behind the counter I would be back in a week to pick up the pistol since I am ALWAYS delayed, he chuckled and told me to wait a minute. 5 minutes later and I was walking out the door with my new toy. For what it's worth I always give my SS# to avoid any confusion.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Happened to me starting back in 2005 at the 1500. Happened about 4 more times and then one day while doing a transfer it stopped. I even told the guys they will be holding on to it for 3 or so days when a few minuts later the guy behinkd the counter said, "here is your lower and you are gtg". Before that the store owner gave me a federal phone# to call and have paperwork sent out to get a federal id #. He claimed this would stop any confusion (similar name as a wife beater, similiar social etc.) sorry i have lost the number since i did not need it. I would get on the atf's site and search for it though.

Top Bottom